Do you crochet for process or end?

I've heard it said that there are two kinds of crocheters, those who crochet for the process, and those who crochet for the finished product. Which are you?

I am DEFINATELY a finished product girl. Especially when I start getting close to the end of a project, I can hardly stand it and I usually don't want to stop working on it until I see the finished product at that point!!

I would be really interested to hear what others have to say!:)

Wow, that depends. I do both. Sometimes I work to finish a project, but other times I do it just because it is relaxing. I've been known to start crocheting with no finished project in mind. I then frog it and move onto something else.

I don't think I'm either. Or maybe I'm both. I love starting a new project, picking out the pattern, the perfect yarn, learning the pattern and getting it just right. I'll frog many times till I like what I see. Once I've mastered that I'm ready to finish - hurry up and finish- so I can do it all over again.

I would say I'm both!

I enjoy the process of crocheting,especially lapghans.Getting to work with all the different colors and stitches keep crochet exciting for me!

I do mostly hats,which are fasat to complete.

I'd say I'm more of a product person, although I thoroughly enjoy crocheting. Right now, I have three projects going and am antsy to get them done. The 63 Squares CAL will take forever--I've resigned myself to that--but I have two Project Linus blankets I'm just dying to get completed. Unfortunately, one of them is knitted, which is taking ages...the crocheted one is zipping right along...

Both! I love to experiment, so the process is very important. But the real satisfaction is when the experimentation is successful and the finished product is what I hoped it would be.

I don't think I'm either. Or maybe I'm both. I love starting a new project, picking out the pattern, the perfect yarn, learning the pattern and getting it just right. I'll frog many times till I like what I see. Once I've mastered that I'm ready to finish - hurry up and finish- so I can do it all over again.

This is me to a T!

I think I am a finished project type of person, because I usually have a purpose for what I make and want to get it done. I admit that sometimes I have more than one project going on at the same time, so it's hard to finish everything at the same time......so I do my priority projects first....like those I do for charities.

Daisy.

I am both, it depends on what it is, and if it's for a purpose. I love to do it to relax. I have about 5 or 6 WIP's and just bought thread for another one :blush

Oh, definitely process. After a project is done, I totally lose interest in it -- whether it's crochet, sewing, cooking, or writing (my four vices!) It's "What can I do next?" and getting down to work.

Although shopping for yarn is a whole other story....

If I'm working on a project to give away, then I'm "end-product" oriented. But if I'm doing something for myself, then I'm "process" oriented. Doesn't so much matter if I finish, just that I have the hook moving in something.

P-R-O-----------------cess!!!

Although sometimes challenging patterns can threaten to get the best of me, I thoroughly ENJOY the process of figuring it out. Each pattern has its own little quirks to mess around with and it is exciting to see it all start to come together. Quite honestly I dont make that much for me to be concerned with the final product...and some of the stuff I just store away!!! ahahah! For that one day craft fair? or whatever..

either way I am hooked

I even delegate certain projects to do at different time frames...ex: a car project....children's activity....home....At the present time, I just have ONE wip!!!!!!!! so, i got to go and find more!

I tend to be more process oriented. I'll find an interesting pattern, work on it until I've figured the pattern out, and then I'll start looking for another pattern. This creates lots of unfinished WIPs.

I am purposefully trying to become more project oriented. Currently I am only working on ONE project and I can't start anything else until it is finished.

(Of course the ONE project thing doesn't include the socks-on-the-needles and a half-finished baby blanket I pulled out last night.)

I would have to say I am both. I love the process because it is fun to learn a new pattern. But when I start getting close to the end I cant stop till it is done... :eek

What an interesting mixture of people! I love it. It's amazing how people have all kinds of different motivations and styles and tastes in crochet, yet it is all beautiful and creative and wonderful!

I think I am both, too. I love to have finished results and use them, so I only crochet things that I think I can actually use. That's why I'm so into clothes and purses right now, and before did afghans. After I had enough afghans, have to find something else. But you can never have enough clothes. :) Many cute things to make, but I won't make them if I can't use them.

But I do do it for the process, too. Sometimes I just want to crochet (or knit) just to be doing it and at the moment I have this knitted rectangle that I sometimes pick up and knit, just in stockinette, it isn't going to be anything, but I really enjoy the rhythm of knitting, it is very calming to me, even the rythmic clicking sounds my metal needles make.

:hook

it's the process because I'm into the design end of it. I work on the drawings and then get to the work. Once it's complete and if it meets up to my expectations I'm done with it and on to the next design. I'm always thinking of the next design while I'm crocheting so hmmm . .what does that mean!?

:interestWhat an interesting question! I never thought about this before. I guess I am a process person. I love pouring over patterns for something to make, and I love getting started - but I am obviously not into finishing. I think it's because, I enjoy the first part so much, and because I am not as crazy about "finishing" (weaving in ends, sewing, blocking) as I am about actually crocheting.

I do better at finishing projects if I make myself sew and weave in as I go.

I am actually slower the closer I am to the end (unless it is for a gift I have a hope of finishing in time). :think What do you make of that?

Ohh, and I also have sort of a short attention span. :blush

Archived