Rag rugs

Hi folks,

For some reason I came across a picture for a crocheted rag rug, and decided that I 'just had to try that' (envisioning using the doona cover that I have been fixing...for 5 years)

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too much info out there in the www.

Is there anyone else out there in Crochetville land that has made a rag rug? (rag rug being too small a search term for the forum, and ragrug only gets one), hints? tips?

I'm starting with cotton.

I have made quite a few rag rugs throught the years. Here's a couple of links that might help. I do mine a little different, I don't worry about doing the bias cut or the folding of strips. I do sew the strips together at a slight angle so there isn't a lot of bulk at the joinings. I usually cut the strips 1/4" to 1/2", use a "N" hook, & hdc. Mom is still using one I made almost 15 years ago. Have fun:)

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa092599.htm

http://www.diynet.com/diy/lv_floors_ceilings/article/0,2041,DIY_14112_2269669,00.html

Alosha

I make and sell rag rugs at a farmer's market in the summer. I cut my fabric with scissors but a rotary cutter also works. Strips are cut about half an inch wide up to two inches wide depending on the rug and the fabric. I use an "N" hook for the smaller strips "Q" hook for wider strips. A bath mat is about 30 sc x55 rows. adjust to your needs. this size of mat will require about a queen size sheet or that amount of fabric. I measure my fabric by arm lengths ....I was always losing my yard stick but figured I couldn't lose my arm :lol .I cut my fabric straight , no bias. I find fabric cut on the bias frays too much and will fall apart in the wash. For heavy duty use, I crochet yarn with the fabric ( good way to use unknown dye lots or scraps. Some of my prettiest rugs have been white sheets and small scraps of brilliant colors. Strips are cut back and forth with yardage, leaving about a half inch at each end. ( cut fabric strip to with in 1/2 inch of edge, cut back to other edge, same width) I find that you need to sew ends together because knots really seem to stand out. I overlap the two ends and sew them together . Good ways to get fabric: friends and neighbors, especially any that sew. Almost any fabric will work but do not mix weights or types. Double knits make sturdy rugs but the need to be cut on the non- stretchy Hint; this type of fabric creates a fine dust or lint when cutting, wear a filter mask. ask for old sheets, table cloths, curtains clothing.....our great-grand mothers threw out nothing. Another source is lawn sales and good will and some factories have outlets that sell or give away the scraps:clapAt the market I have people bring me in bags of fabric or used clothing and we make trades . Always wash your fabric first . If its pieces or yardage put it in a zipper pillowcase or lingerie bag. Rag crochet is not just for floor mats. You can adapt it for almost anything, though clothing while incredibly warm is also VERY heavy. My husband says I should crochet us a house :eek Is this a challenge? Hmmm first I would need a design, then a frame.... :manyheart good luck in your next project as an after thought if you find that your project gets too heavy you can use an ironing board to hold it. Ironing board can be adjusted for sitting.

Wow, I can't believe how much material these things take. And a whole different hookholding technique as well.

I made a start yesterday, using a few things I found at home. Clothes that I loved, but knew I would never wear again. I only got two rows out of a long full skirt!! :eek

I used the spiral method for cutting strips for one thing, the "Strips are cut back and forth with yardage, leaving about a half inch at each end." method for another, and the sheets are just being torn in inch wide strips and knotted. The knots don't bother me. All I have is a circle about 14 inches in diameter. Almost, but not quite big enough for a kitchen mat. (I have a small kitchen)

Yesterday, I went to the local op shop/ thrift store that had a free bin and collected some likely looking things to recycle. Found a few things, and then decided to check out thier 'craft' section, where I found two rolls of mill ends (?) They are about six inches wide, and who know how long. I just have to work out how I am going to cut those up into smaller strips. The best thing, I only paid 1$ for both! I told the lady at the counter I was going to try making rag rugs, and if it worked I'd bring the material back :D

Just have to work out how to get the ripples out of the one I am in the process of making at the moment - without undoing it. Live and learn eh?

Y'all have got me to thinking... I suppose remnants would work also? As long as they were the same type of fabric?

And I have an N-hook too. ;) Half the equipment already at the fingertips.

Y'all have got me to thinking... I suppose remnants would work also? As long as they were the same type of fabric?

And I have an N-hook too. ;) Half the equipment already at the fingertips.

On a web site I found while researching these, they mentioned remnants as a source of fabric. ;)

And with half the equiptment..what stopping you? :P

(I'm about to be really tacky and make floor rugs for the car)

Archived