Do you like plastic hooks?

I was reading another thread here tonight and some of the posters said they didn't like plastic hooks at all. I'm just curious why? Have you found that they break easier, or do you have trouble with the yarn with them?

I live in North Dakota, and of course it gets quite cold up here. In the winter the metal ones actually hurt my hands they get so cold. I got the set of the Crystallite hooks and put some of those soft pencil/pen grippers I got at Kmart (the kind that conform to the size of the pen or pencil) and slipped those on, and they are comfortable to use, and just fly through the yarn.

So I'm just wondering for those who don't like them what is it about them that you don't like. Is there something I need to watch out for? I could see how they might break, but so far that hasn't happened to me. :hook

It does depend upon the yarn but I too picked up plastic ones due to the cold...I crochet outside while camping and some nights it was kinda uncomfortable but now I can use my wood ones :D

I like them (well, the American ones, anyway) :)

They're comfortable, light and warm to hold and they come in such pretty colours; the UK ones are fine too but only ever in that ubiquitous drab grey.

The smaller size Crystalites do seem a bit "bendy" and I've seen people say they've broken one, though I don't think I hold them tightly enough to do that. Some of mine also have the odd bit of seam protruding that needs filing down. I haven't so far been lucky enough to try other brands, though, and perhaps others are a little better made.

I still like them! :hook

Some of mine also have the odd bit of seam protruding that needs filing down. I haven't so far been lucky enough to try other brands, though, and perhaps others are a little better made.

That's one reason I don't like them. I've also found that they squeak horribly when used with certain types of yarn and have broken almost all of mine!:(

It depends on the hook.

I hate the Crystalites and Susan Bates. They break way too easily, plus the Susan Bates are not made very well as you can see where it was "taken" off the plastic mold (kinda like a model, when you pop off the pieces, there's always a little bump on the piece). Anyway, everytime I have tried to use the SB hooks they snag on the yarn.

Having said that, the JoAnns sparkle hooks are wonderful and are my faves. Unfortunately the smallest size they make those in is a J.

I like plastic ok but my favorite is wooden. I have trouble with my tendon, so the wooden provides more comfort & the wood warms up. All my smaller crystalites broke. The big ones do ok. Like others, I hate a plastic hook that has any plastic "stubs" on the seams. I have filed the seam with a block type nail file & that makes them smoother.

I've only tried a plastic hook on one of my projects. The yarn would not slide off the hook the way it does with my aluminum hooks. It therefore took double the amount of time to make a stitch. There were also bumps on the hook and it would snag on the yarn.

Having said that, the JoAnns sparkle hooks are wonderful and are my faves. Unfortunately the smallest size they make those in is a J.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've always wanted to buy that set, however with my last experience with plastic hooks, I was reluctant. JoAnns also makes smaller plastic hooks. I've never tried them so no idea what they're like.

The only plastic I will use anymore is my gigantic S and my Q... I hated the seams and the squeek of the plastic too much! I got my first wood hook last December and since have acquired almost all the sizes I ever use and think they are an awesome investment!

There are too many quotes to quote, but this about sums it all up in one...

The yarn would not slide off the hook the way it does with my aluminum hooks. It therefore took double the amount of time to make a stitch. There were also bumps on the hook and it would snag on the yarn.QUOTE]

I dilike these kinds of hooks...Susan Bates Luxite Plastic Crochet Hook Set. :grumpy The only plastic set I have ever tried to use. They bend and I want a rigid, solid hook that isn't going to make my yarn pucker. Besides I do not crochet tightly, so it is flustrating to see the little tension I place on the hook bend it.:thair

I prefer aluminum hooks. I do like Susan Bates hooks, have a lot of trouble with the Boye hooks since Boye seems to snag the yarn and doesn't seem to flow nicely. I have used the Susan Bates Crystallites from K, L, M & N with up to four strands of yarn and had no problems with them. I do have a few longer wooden hooks that someone gave me but for some reason, keep forgetting about them. Now I have to look to see where I put them since they don't fit in the case I have all my other hooks in. What I do not like are the cheaper plastic hooks that come in kits (not that I buy the kits but I did buy Cozy Crochet Kit and didn't like that hook at all).

LI Roe

I just got a set of Crystalites and I hate them. I got them just because I needed a size L and the only way I could buy it at WalMart was in a 4 pack of Crystalites. They squeak so bad going over the yarn, and that sound does to me what nails on chalkboard do to others (actually, nails on chalkboard don't bother me much). Literally, I couldn't even complete one row, it was like torture. So, they're going back.

I do like my set of Balene hooks I got at Wal-Mart, but other plastic hooks...no. They snag and drag and make my life more difficult than it oughta be. I prefer wood and/or metal.

I was a bit off them until Hooklady posted a reminder that they can be waxed. She recommends Renaissance Wax, which is the best; and secondly, bees wax. I keep bees wax on hand and so just use that. Others like wax paper, which is easy to keep handy. I also make sure my hands and hooks are clean. If there are rough places on plastic hooks from seams or little sharp things, or blobs, they can be filed off with an emery board.

I just don't like the feel of the plastic in my hand for some reason. I'd much rather use aluminum or wood. The plastic ones do seem to have a bit of not-quite-smooth areas on them that make them a bit more difficult to use. For the way I hold my hook and crochet, they just don't seem to slide as smoothly through the yarn as aluminum hooks do. I use aluminum hooks when I really want to be fast, and I use wooden ones when I want to slow down and really enjoy the whole process of the crochet work.

I don't think there's really anything wrong with plastic hooks, it's just my personal preference that I don't like them very much.

Thank you all for the informal poll and information. I don't have any wooden hooks, and from what many of you have said, guess what I might be asking for this next Christmas! I love my metal ones (especially my Soft Touch for yarn and my Profi metal hooks for thread), but even they get so cold up here in North Dakota!

I noticed some of you mentioned the squeaking of plastic is bothersome. To be totally honest, I'd never heard it before; however, I frequently have noise in the background while crocheting. I wanted to see if mine squeaked, so I did an informal unscientific scientific experiment. Here are the findings:

Using my lovely blue "L" crystallite, I crocheted swatches of

(1) Sugar and Cream (cotton),

(2) Lion Brand Homespun (acrylic/polyester),

(3) Berroco Foliage (wool/acrylic), and

(4) Red Heart Super Saver (acrylic).

I tried the cotton first but couldn't hear anything.

Then I turned off the TV :oops and thought I could hear something. So I employed the scientific squeakometer (I held it up to my ear while I crocheted :lol which was a little tricky to do and got some strange looks and comments from my family!!) I could hear a faint squeak.

Then I tried the other brands of yarns, and they went right off the squeakometer scale!. How did I miss that racket before? :eek I think this is one time that being hard of hearing is a blessing! :hook

Thanks again, everyone for your comments.

So I employed the scientific squeakometer (I held it up to my ear while I crocheted :lol which was a little tricky to do and got some strange looks and comments from my family!!)
LOL! I can just imagine how this would look. It's a very inventive idea. The main thing is that it worked.

My biggest complaint with the plastic ones is that they seem too bendable .. It's kinda hard to work with them when they bend easily . That was one of the smaller sizes of them ,though , maybe like a G or H .

I just bought a pack of the big ones. I found a pattern that needed an L hook and couldn't find it in anything but the plastic. Haven't used it yet, so i don't know if I'll like them better, but as thick as they are, they probably won't be as bendable .

I love the colours of plastic hooks and have a great set of Vogue plastics, but I don't like working with them - they make a grating noise against the yarn. I much prefer metal hooks. :hook

Archived