Need Ideas for Comfortghan for Pre-teen

KinkyLilBlackDress

<rant and vent>

I got to work this morning, and found out that a student of mine had a mother that ODed in front of her last night and died.

This was a Mom who had a stomach stapling surgery last year. Staff was worried then that Mom wouldn't make it through the surgery, since it was so dangerous. We were upset that she was putting her own vanity above her daughter's needs. Mom wasn't dangerously obese - maybe around 200lbs. We could see if the doc said "have this surgery because you might die from the weight", but she was no where near that. It was totally for looks.

Since she had the surgery and lost 90lbs, her priorities had been all about her looks and getting a boyfriend and living like a teenager. She was always out, and kept canceling meetings on us when the staff wanted to talk about her daughter's struggles. She got her and her daughter evicted from their home (not sure why...) and hooked up with this boyfriend who the daughter HATED. Boyfriend got arrested, went to jail, then recently came back.

This 8th grader has serious emotional issues to begin with. I can just imagine what this is going to do to her.

</rant and vent>

She is one of the girls I crochet with here at work. I think I'm going to make her something. I'm looking for ideas of something I can do quick, and on my own. I'm not looking for any items from you - just ideas. Some of the girl's interests are Harry Potter, Pokemon and Yugio, Japanese Animation, and Nintendo. My first thought was to somehow incorperate these characters into some kind of blanket / afghan, but that might take a while. I was also thinking of doing a graph-gahn of just one character that she likes.

Ideas, please?

First of all I am so sorry to hear about this. Her mom sounds like my sister. Ever since her husband died last year she's been doing pretty much the same thing. Running around with all kinds of men, leaving my niece and nephew home alone and now I found out that my nephew (he's 16) has started cutting himself and has been admitted to a hospital. And it's all because my sister is acting like a child and not paying attention to her kids.

Ok, my suggestion for something simple would be to do a simple Harry Potter ghan by taking the gold and burgundy colors and doing a striped afghan for her. Just a thought as that wouldn't take much thought or planning and should work up quickly.

Good luck on your adventure! Will love to see what you end up with!!! :hug

Ok, my suggestion for something simple would be to do a simple Harry Potter ghan by taking the gold and burgundy colors and doing a striped afghan for her. Just a thought as that wouldn't take much thought or planning and should work up quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion....I do like the ideas of using the colors.

Being the spouse of a Mental Health Counselor, I am not going to post my comments on this mother's situation. Obviously she had a lot of personal issues to work through with her weight and instead turned to a surgery and lifestyle change to deal with them. We each handle situations differently, whether it's grief, weight, or stress.

My suggestion for her comfortghan is something fun and funky, lots of bright colors and textured yarns. Maybe a big graph of Hermie (isn't that the girl in Harry Potter?) lol I'm clueless on this stuff. Also, visit www.craftster.org Not the obvious choice of links, but some of the ladies there have done beautiful graphed afghans and quilts.

Good luck on your comfortghan and I hope the little girl is getting the emotional help she needs.

Donna

Teens are always so hard in the best of times bless you for trying to ease her pain. Perhaps an "amulet bag" that's large enough to hold gameboy, cd player, or whatever. Applique a heart or perhaps her favorite character. I tie little bows on afghans etc. and tell people that they are kisses to show them how much they are loved. Regular teen stuff....scrunchies, barrettes,a diary and fancy pen, a box with a lock , small samples of pamper or spa cosmetics, fuzzy slippers, perhaps a "friend" such a teddy bear. When I was hospitalized for tests my thirty year old daughter brought me a new teddy...what a comfort.

There was an afghan pattern that my daughter fell in love with all done in bright colored fun furs. It was done in squares and put together, it looks to strip diagonally and is reversible. I can find it at home if you want to think about that one.

Thank you all for your suggestions. After reading these posts, and talking with work-mates, I've decided on a granny-afghan using the colors of the different houses in Harry Potter. I chose this because I can bust out granny squares very quickly, and this is something I don't feel she will "grow out" of, since it's just the colors.

That, and this is one of those type of children who is OBSESSED with everything Harry. :)

Again, thanks so much for all your help and suggestions.

Your comfortghans are beautiful! I do have another suggestion for you though, if you don't mind. How about crocheting one of the very cute Japanese Aurigurumi dolls or animals? There's some free patterns on the internet. If you're interested, let me know and I'll round up what few sites I have for you.

Your comfortghans are beautiful! I do have another suggestion for you though, if you don't mind. How about crocheting one of the very cute Japanese Aurigurumi dolls or animals? There's some free patterns on the internet. If you're interested, let me know and I'll round up what few sites I have for you.
Thank you for the suggestion. As a matter of fact, I do have an amineko pattern that I am working on with this particular student, from the pattern I have on my own website. We were working on it in school before all this awfulness happened.

You are fast! These are great motifs and you are to be applauded for your efforts and caring. Ya never know, your kindness may stay with this girl the rest of her life. Good luck with your project and I hope she is able to overcome this tragedy. This may not be PC here, but I will say a prayer.

I just saw this post today and wanted to say how fantastic your afghan looks, and what a kind and wonderful gesture to make for this student. What a rough time she must be having. I'm sure it will bring her comfort and remind her that there is someone who cares is there for her.

I didn't see this trhead until today!

You are wonderful to do this for her. I'm sure she will love the afghan - it is beautiful, and she will always remember you and what a caring teacher you are.

• 6 months later...

Archived