Rippling Shells Afghan

Hi folks,

After a four month wait I finally recieved my "Herrschers Blue Ribbon Afghans" book from the States. They have some beautiful afghans in there, and not all crochet too.

I was taken with the Rippling Shells afghan on page 64 and decised to try my had at it. Then I tried again, and again. It is a very confusing pattern. But I got there in the end.

The thing is, I used a G hook/4mm but my gauge was spot on (3 shells/6.5 rows = 3.5 inches) but, it looks... bumpy. Thats a highly technical term. It looks like it is too tight or something. I dunno what I did, aside from not using the H/4.5mm hook - but it did add, 'or size to obtain gauge. Being my first official work from a pattern I chose to do it by the book instead of following intuition and doing it *my way.*

After two and a half balls of yarn I got so frustrated at it, that I ended it (contemplated chucking it out or froggin it) and started on another one, using my um..experience and changing up to a I/5mm hook. This one is looking and feeling so much better.

Has anyone else made the Rippling Shells and had problems?

Haven't seen that particular afghan, but I would definitely go with your instincts - even if the gauge is correct, if it feels bumpy or isn't laying right then perhaps the yarn (even if it is the yarn recommended) is to thick for the hook used to get the correct gauge - that is not at all uncommon...

And my personal feeling on afghans is that size doesn't really matter! I mean, unless you're making it to fit a specific crib/bed etc., it doesn't really matter if it's a couple inches - or feet - bigger than the design says! But don't listen to me - I'm self-taught and pretty much try to take the easy road...:wink

I haven't made the afghan you're talking about, but I do have the book. That's a lovely afghan you're making. :c9 What color did you go with?

The first PITA one is black, the second and far neater one is um, olive green. I didn't want to detract from the stitch work. I am seriously contemplating making a white one as well.

Haven't seen that particular afghan, but I would definitely go with your instincts - even if the gauge is correct, if it feels bumpy or isn't laying right then perhaps the yarn (even if it is the yarn recommended) is to thick for the hook used to get the correct gauge - that is not at all uncommon...

And my personal feeling on afghans is that size doesn't really matter! I mean, unless you're making it to fit a specific crib/bed etc., it doesn't really matter if it's a couple inches - or feet - bigger than the design says! But don't listen to me - I'm self-taught and pretty much try to take the easy road...:wink

Yes, maybe the yarn has something to do with it. Being American the book called for worsted weight acrylic, which I have always substituted Australian 8 ply for - and honestly, that is what the picture looks like it uses.

But yes, point taken about afghans being a 'no gauge necessary' thing, and thats how I usually think..but, you know how we want to do things 'right' (or as specifically written...)

Well, live and learn. The olive one is much nicer anyway. Will keep the first one to shame myself into listening to my own voice of reason next time.

Monique,

Would you like some samples of American yarn so you can better judge next time? I could send you some if you want. 8 ply sounds like our bulky or chunky weight yarn and I think that would cause that afghan to have a thicker appearance. If you have samples of our textures in yarn, maybe you could plan your projects a bit better. P.M. me for more info.

:hug,

Lorry

Well, live and learn. The olive one is much nicer anyway. Will keep the first one to shame myself into listening to my own voice of reason next time.

The olive one WAS nicer until I had to frog about 3 ounces/300yards (or a full 'ball' to use Aussie terms).

Never, ever try to make this afghan while trying to actively watch TV. It doesn't work! Concentration in the key. :thair back to the drawing board :sigh

Hi Monique, I actually think our 8 ply is a a bit thinner than worsted weight yarn. I reckon worsted weight is about equivalent to our 10 ply. If you have a look at www.crochetaustralia under crochet info you will find the conversions. Which I have found very handy.

There are pattern corrections for that book!

:eek I nnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddd them, else I will just die!!!!!

ok..I'm going over board...but the Rippling Shells is very hard to understand, especially the section for the edging. :think

Archived