Scarf I made. Now, stop laughing

Ah Leah

So this scarf has been the butt of jokes since I made it about a year and a half ago. It's a really pretty scarf, just... a tad long? It wasn't supposed to be that long, really! I just kept crocheting...

I dont' know what kind of yarn I used, but I used a J hook (mommy, aren't you proud? I know what HOOK I used!!! Instead of calling it, "the metal one that was yellow... or maybe blue... or green. You know, it's like *this* big...?")

Anyway, the jokes carried right through from high school to college.

My scarf...

So my suitemate said that I should put it next to something to show the relative size. It was either the ugg boot, the venti sized starbucks cup, or the camera. But then we decided we needed the camera to take the picture (since the boot and cup are less effective (though not entirely inept I stress to add) in the photography department). Oh, and the shoe's a size 8. because that SO matters.

9d2c192d.jpg

And here's another picture. Yes folks. that my scarf. hanging from the door. I'd like you to remember that there's another foot hanging off the other side.

e288ad27.jpg

This will now end Ang's first show and tell. Compliment me folks. I ADORE it.

I win at (sarcastic) life.

Congrats on your first show & tell! :cheer Great scarf. It looks like chenille, is it?

Long scarfs are the "in" thing. Wrap in around your neck (or waist) a couple of times and you are ready to go. :yay

Oh my! If you hadn't said you'd made it a year and a half ago, I would have sworn it had some of your mom's Fugly Yarn in it! :eek

You are going to be so much fun here! :hook

This is the scarf that never ends

yes it goes on and on my friends

Angela started hooking it not knowing what it was

and she'll continue hooking it forever just because

this is the scarf that never ends

yes it goes on and on my friends....

*repeat until the end of time*

Oh my! If you hadn't said you'd made it a year and a half ago, I would have sworn it had some of your mom's Fugly Yarn in it! :eek

You are going to be so much fun here! :hook

HEY HEY HEY! There is no fug to be found!

It's a great scarf. I have a couple that are awfully long too, one of them even has pompoms, just so it'll look snazzier when it wraps itself around my ancles.

:cheer Do you want these people to stop being rude and start envying you?

:hook If you fold it in half and put the same side edge together, making a sort of arrow point at one end, you can carefully stitch the edges together and sew a flower onto the double point to hold it flat.

If you leave a gap about a third from the pointed end, you can thread the other end through the gap and make a cravat style scarf.

:eek Or you could find a REALLY big hook and use it as thread to make a REALLY fat scarf or maybe it would only be a handkerchief by then.

:eek Or you could finger knit using it as yarn.

:cheer Of course, you may be happy, spreading smiles.

Just remember, you can always go and hide under the bed with the Fugly Yarn.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Leah, how do you make something too big?:think I'm in the club that always makes everything too SMALL! I'm always so anxious to get something finished that I'm constantly measuring the project. Of course, I'm too lazy to measure it spread out on a table so I do it in my lap.:lol By the time I actually DO spread it out, it's two inches too short! I have great envy for a person who has the patience to make something too BIG!

BTW, your scarf is great. It's big enough for two so if you have a significant other it might come in real handy.:)

A few images came to mind when I saw your scarf. Riding a bike and the scarf gets caught in the spokes, driving down the road with 3 feet of scarf hanging out from the bottom of the car door, and leaving a store and getting 6 feet away before being choked because the end of your scarf is caught in the door. I've seen people do the second one with their jacket belts. The last one happened to me, except it was my hair that was closed in the door and I didn't make it 6 feet away, plus I had the added good fortune of a car full of teenage boys driving by just in time to laugh and point:lol.

But seriously I like your scarf. I always make mine long too, and my first scarf was the longest of them all (not quite as long as yours;))

Brenda

I liked the one about getting it stuck in the door of the store - kinda like a dog when he's running and reaches the end of his chain ? Kinda gets jerked backwards ?

Don't feel bad, I did something dumb too once in public right in front of a crowd of people .

I was at McDonald's , just finished eating and got up to go throw my trash away . Well, I was on a big long bench seat that I THOUGHT went the whole way across the wall it was against. So , I start sliding out ,off the bench with my tray in my hands . Little did I know, the bench ENDED between each table . I kept on sliding and slid down and LODGED between the 2 benches, tray still in hand .

The whole McDonalds was filled with Senior Citizens ( must've been a bus trip ). All I remember is looking up and an old toothless man was standing there laughing and pointing . I just climbed out with all the dignity I could muster and said ( With as much class as possible , GO AHEAD AND LAUGH, I DON'T CARE ! ) Well , that just got them all started again !:lol

Speaking of long scarves, there is a very popular BBC show called Dr. Who in which the main character wears a long scarf (anywhere between fourteen and twenty feet long). Apparently a staff member (I guess) was given a whole bunch of yarn and was asked to knit a scarf for the main character. Well, she used all the yarn given to her and the scarf was several feet long. The production crew loved it and it's been a staple of the main character's wardrobe for decades. Through the years the scarf has varied in length but has basically stayed the same color-wise. If anyone is interested, just Google "Dr. Who scarf" and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think this scarf is too cool and I'd love to do one for one of my teenage nieces or nephews 'cause I know they would love it.

So, Ah Leah, I think you have a fantastic scarf! :cheer I say keep on going and see how long you can make it.

My scarves are always too short.

I agree, long is in...just wrap (and wrap and wrap) and go!

You seem to know how to laugh and have fun, so enjoy yours...wear it with pride!

That's a great-looking scarf! The stitches are perfect, and the edges are so even. Very neat work! I LOVE the length, and the color. Just be careful and don't strangle yourself. :eek Seriously! (Don't wrap it or tie it around your neck - I've seen two terrible stories on the news (months ago) about tragic cases involving long scarves) You could do an over-hand knot (not too tight) on each end. That's what I did to a long scarf I made and it looked pretty neat. In fact you could do more than one on each end - space them apart. That would give it a different look. Might be interesting.:hook

Actually, that is our road-trip scarf - when we go on a road-trip the first person in the car starts with a couple wraps, passes it to the front seat passenger who wraps and then sends the next section to the backseat passenger who then wraps and sends it over to the other backseat passenger! We are a close family!

Actually, that is our road-trip scarf - when we go on a road-trip the first person in the car starts with a couple wraps, passes it to the front seat passenger who wraps and then sends the next section to the backseat passenger who then wraps and sends it over to the other backseat passenger! We are a close family!

You really should do that when you stop for lunch and all walk in connected together. :lol

I've shared my scarf at work when we're all huddled together outside at break. I only had two people attached to mine, but we sure got some strange looks. Oh well, it was funny and we were warm. Maybe they were only looking to see if there was room for them.;)

JulieKay, it's always good to hear that I'm not the only one who does such graceful things. Three times in one year while leaving the same grocery store, I tripped over nothing and went sliding across the parking lot on my stomach. Two of those times I was holding a 12 pack of soda which broke apart as I hit the pavement, sending soda cans all over the parking lot. The last time it happened, a man driving by was kind enough to lean his head out and laugh just as I was getting up. Thanks, man, I'm fine:angry . After the last time I walked back to see if there really was something there I kept tripping on (of course there wasn't) because even for me this was ridiculous for it to happen three times. I don't shop there anymore:( :lol

A few images came to mind when I saw your scarf. Riding a bike and the scarf gets caught in the spokes, driving down the road with 3 feet of scarf hanging out from the bottom of the car door, and leaving a store and getting 6 feet away before being choked because the end of your scarf is caught in the door. I've seen people do the second one with their jacket belts. The last one happened to me, except it was my hair that was closed in the door and I didn't make it 6 feet away, plus I had the added good fortune of a car full of teenage boys driving by just in time to laugh and point:lol.

But seriously I like your scarf. I always make mine long too, and my first scarf was the longest of them all (not quite as long as yours;))

You know there's the other side to consider, too. Your could use the scarf as a rope to help you escape from the second floor in the case of a fire. It could be a lasso, a scarf and belt... it's a handy thing to have around! :lol;)

Archived