Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I try the afghan stitch it seems to curl too much...my goal this year is to conquer it. :yes

Years ago my Mom made some absolutely beautiful work using this stitch, making panels on which she cross stitched roses. Unfortunately she made it for my brother's wife:( Guess she figured I could make my own one day...?

:clap I started the Race Flag afghan for my boss last night. (I can pass that off as a quilt for the purposes of this CAL, right?) I got 6 squares done. I had to follow the instructions on the first two, but after that I got the hang of it. I made some changes to her instructions, too. I was wondering if it would be rude to send her an email to suggest something.

At the end of every round, she has you slip stitch to join...that's ok. But then, she wants you to slip stitch across the top of the 3 DC's that are next to start making a new set of 3 DC's in the next CH2 SP.

When I slip stitch at the end of the round, I'm at the left side of a CH2 SP, so I've just been chaining 4 there and starting my round...is this making any sense?

Instead of the underlined:

Round 1: ch3 (counts as dc), 2dc into ring, ch2, *3dc into ring, ch2*. Repeat from * 2 times more. Ch 2, slip stitch into top of ch3 at beginning of round.

Round 2: slip stitch into the first 2 dc's and in the first ch2 loop. Ch3, 2dc in ch2 space, ch2, ...

I did:

Round 1: ch3 (counts as dc), 2dc into ring, ch2, *3dc into ring, ch2*. Repeat from * 2 times more. Ch 2, slip stitch into top of ch3 at beginning of round.

Round 2: Ch4, 3dc in next ch2 space, ch2, ... (around to the starting ch2 sp and then...) 2dc in ch2 space, slip stitch into 3rd ch.

I know you're all pro's, so I'm hoping I explained that well enough. :lol It's like she's using the slip stitches just to get you over to the next ch2 sp, but why?

Anyhow, the squares are turning out great. They're very fluffy because of the two strands of yarn.

My 6 year old son saw me working on it last night. He said he wants one too. Are you ready for this?

He sat there for a few minutes and said, "Mommy, will you be done with your boss's blanket tonight?"

I said, "No, honey. Why? You want me to start your's?"

He nodded and said, "Yeah, can you make his smaller so you can start mine?" :lol :lol :lol :lol :manyheart

Morning, guys !

Donna- I do the granny squares like they are in the pattern. I'm not sure I understand the way you are doing them, but whatever way works for you, that is fine ! As long as you like it, that is what counts .

How old is your little boy ?

I know sometimes when Cam asks me to make him something, I cannot resist. He has so many afghans I have made him, his bed is loaded down with them, but if he asked me for another one, I'd make it for him ! :lol

He's 6. He just got racing sheets for his bed, not long ago. So he's excited for me to make one of these blankets for his bed.

I'm afraid the PS might be put on the back burner for a bit. :)

My son, Spence, doesn't really have any big afghans. His are all more like lapghans. So, I'm going to make one of these for him. It's not going to go with the theme of his room, though. We did his room in "forest animals" when we moved into my apartment. He has bears, moose, deer, etc. More like a teenager's room. But that's what he wanted. :D

(time to brag, there's pics of him petting a zebra shark in my blog. :D )

(time to brag, there's pics of him petting a zebra shark in my blog. :D )

Neat pictures! I'm also in love with the handler...who has his body between the shark and Spence:manyheart

Donna- thanks for sharing the photo of Spence. I'm sure you are so proud of him ! And yea, he looks big enough now to have a real BIG BOY blanket . :)

I also read the story about Neko- I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm not a pet owner, but your story of Neko certainly made me understand what it must be like to have one .

It sounds like someday when you are ready, yours would be a good home to have a cousin ,uncle or nephew of Neko .:manyheart

Donna, cute pictures of Spence with the sharks :D

I'm so sorry about Neko. I read your blog entry just now and my heart breaks. :cry My very first kitty ever was named Pooh, so that made Neko's story that much more special :manyheart And so well written, to boot.

I hope someday you'll open your home to another little wayward soul :manyheart

Thank you Julie & Cara. That's very sweet.

I've been saying I don't want to get another cat because I'll never have the same bond, but that could change. Neko came along unexpectedly. Maybe another will.

...I swear he was a human in a past life. :)

I've been saying I don't want to get another cat because I'll never have the same bond, but that could change. Neko came along unexpectedly. Maybe another will.

...I swear he was a human in a past life. :)

Our newest G. shepherd, Sparkie, came in to our home to help fill the hole left by the passing of another male shep - so now we have 2 again...and Sparkie IS human...and no one can tell me otherwise!

... TY for your kind words on my blog...:hug

I totally believe they are human. My cat disappeared a few months ago and he was SO human I've never seen another cat anywhere like him even people that didn't like cats LOVED him.

no still no sign of him he was old and my hubby thinks he might have just had a heart attack somewhere I kind of think somebody took him in as their own. At least I'd like to think so and not that he died somewhere alone.

Heather & Donna~I'm so sorry for your loss of your kittys. My Mom lost her cat to a rare urinanary tract disease & didn't think she'de be able to let another in & then my Hubby saved a kitten that some kids were poking with a stick across the street. Anyways we (I did days he did nights) raised this kitten for several weeks because the humane society was full. Boy was it a chore, his eyes weren't even open yet but the reward was greater. My Mom came & took a peek and the kitty ended up living with her after it was old enough to eat & go potty on it's own. We can't have cats here. :( But the happy ending is that she went to a good home & now my Mom has another friens although she can't replace the one lost she does make it somewhat easier. So, I really hope in due time this will happen for you. :hug:manyheart

I have been working on my ghan this afternoon and have another row of motifs almost done. I don't think I ever did state what I was doing so i'll tell ya now. I'm doing a ghan called "Patchwork Garden" from the book "Easy Living Crochet". I'm using pink, purple, pink variegated which has purple in it too, and off-white. Oh and light sage. I will be posting a pic. on Friday and hopefully i'll have the 3rd or 4th row done.

Archived