Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

I've been working on the bottom border of the cat quilt and am nearly finished stitching the squares together...it's actually beginning to look like something:D

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wendy, the cat quilt is in Afghan Sentiments (All-American Cats), from The Needlecarft Shop. It has other quilt-like designs in it too. Though I have :dog :dog my first love (and first pet years ago) was :cat ...and I'm still drawn to those little :devil 's!

I'm changing the pattern somewhat, but I'll explain the differences when I finally post a pic.:P

Good morning, Wendy - or is it evening there?:think

I'm unearthing the software for the digi cam from DH's home office so I can install on my computer today! I had to write myself a note to remember!:P

:hi HI!!!!

I'm back! Waaaay back on page 208 (or something like that) I said I'd join this CAL after Christmas and here I am! :D

Well, actually it's because I was going to start another CAL last night but we got snowed in, so I needed to do SOMETHING to satisfy the crochet-bug that was biting me last night. :lol

So, I pulled out the ol' blanket and started working on it again. My DH was out at a meeting until late and I got SO much done. :dance I didn't want to put it away to go to bed but I finally decided I really needed to.

I also got to catch up on all those shows I have had taped forever and never had time to watch. :c9 What a gret night it was. :D

Ok, I'm in this CAL (if there's still people here working on it) I brought some yarn and a hook to work today so I can work on my motifs. I'm going to have to get an account somewhere so I can post pictures of my progress. You have to see this blankie to believe it. It's gorgeous! I've been working on it for about 6 years and I think I'm getting close to being done!

Ok, I'm in this CAL (if there's still people here working on it) I've been working on it for about 6 years and I think I'm getting close to being done!

Are we EVER still working here!:lol

My squares for my quilt pattern have been sitting around longer than that:eek The encouragement here is incredible!:manyheart Welcome to the party...you may be a tad late, but you made it:clap :yay

Judi -

I'm so excited -- it sounds like you are getting close to finishing this up -- can't WAIT to see the photos !!!

Dsabol- glad to have you back, and yep, there are still LOTS of people here working on projects. Would love to see a photo of your work, too !

Julie, now that I know what I'm doing:P it will "just" be a matter of how long it takes me to sew those little suckers together! I didn't know about leaving tails on squares in those days:(

The center of the pattern calls for outlines of 4 cats...I'm changing it to one larger one, so I may have to zip off a couple more squares here and there. Once I get the "frame" (border) done I'll feel like I'm on the home stretch:hook

:manyheart Thank you! :blush

I'm excited about my progress. This is something I started from a flyer I picked up a Michaels AGES ago. It's a flyer for Red Heart yarn. You know the ones they have hanging on the outside of the bins with the free pattern on it? It's a country star shape, but not in squares, like the ones you listed at the begining of this CAL. The whole center of the afghan is a giant country star, made out of diamond shaped motifs. Well, I got all amtitious several years ago and decided it was SO pretty it needed to be big enough to be a duvet cover. So, being the crafty girl I am, I designed the original pattern in the Paint program on my computer and started expanding it and playing different designs until I got it to the right size & shape to be a duvet cover. I added motifs and borders.

I was looking at it last night, and once I finish the color I'm working on right now, which is for the points of the large star that goes AROUND the star in the center, I'll be fairly close to finishing (I think) because then I'll just have to do the corners and fill in the spaces between the points of the star. (you'll have to see pics to understand what I mean...)

I'll try to take some pics tonight. I'm excited to be working on this again. :D

:eek :eek I just hopped out to the internet on another window to see if I could find something similar to mine, so I could show it to you and I FOUND THE SAME PATTERN!!! *squeal*

Here, check it out! (Keep in mind, mine is much bigger because I'm adding motifs)

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/free-patterns/Prairie-Star-LW1295.pdf

(It qualifies as a "quilt" right? My mom makes regular quilts out of diamond shapes...)

dsabol -

(Can I ask what your first name is ? )

I always think we sound like a lot friendlier group if we know each other's first names . :)

YEA, that is of course a quilt-- the Famous Prairie Star . There have been a few ladies here that have made those, in fact a few of them are on their second ones.

I have started this same afghan UMPTEEN MILLION TIMES . ( but have YET to finish one )

I think it is gorgeous and cannot wait to see what you have done in the way of adding to it or modifying it. I have no talent at all in doing that with a pattern.

What colors are you using for yours ?

My name is Donna. :bow

:D

I'm using most of the colors they call for in the pattern, except I'm using Red Heart Denim Heather (LOOOOOVE that color. you have to see it in person to appreciate it), in place of the Light Sage, and Red Heart Navy in place of the Dark Sage. I'm also using Red Heart Aran in place of the Soft White, but that's a pretty close match anyway.

Now I'm just itching to go home and take a picture of my progress. :lol

Alas, I'll have to wait until I get off work. ;)

By the way, I stumbled up on a site while I was looking for the Prairie Star pattern. You may already know about it but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these "quilts". I'm going to make one for my mom, I think, when I finish the one I'm doing now (someday). I like the Purple Pinwheels one on the 2nd page. It's so "her". :D

http://www.happyyellowhouse.com/crochet.html

Judi~I can't wait to see pics. :cheer (hint, hint) :devil

Donna (dsabol)~Welcome fellow PSer. I'm working on my second PS, it is a beautiful pattern. I can't wait to see pics. of yours. I am NO good at messing with a pattern so kudos to you for being so talented. :clap

Julie~You are still working on yours, RIGHT??? :think:devil It'de be a shame to put another one in the closet. Do you frog them or just save what you've done & stuff it somewhere? Just being nosey, lol. :yes

Okay, i'm off to work on mine. Gotta get this done. :hook:yarn

Boy Donna, once you start those "little squares", you are never the same again. We've had a real outbreak of "little square fever" here lately. :wlol So far I haven't caught it but I wear a mask while at the Ville :wlol

Hi Donna

I was wracking my brain this morning and THOUGHT your name started with a D (dsabol was kinda a hint )

I thought it was Donna- I probably asked you before and forgot -- but I'm glad to know it now for sure- it always sounds more friendly here if we call each other by their real first names .

It sounds like you have some lovely colors for your PS - we will watch for photos .

Thanks for sending the link for the yellow house page-- yep, we got wind of that a couple weeks ago and everyone here has been drooling over the patterns ever since. Something tells me this Quilt-along could go on for YEARS with that web page to help ! :lol

Tab- to answer your question- I have enough started PS's to cover the Cleveland Browns football field . ( I might as well do that with them, the Browns can't WIN a game, so I might as well purty up the field for them and give them something to look at while they twiddle their thumbs .

Welcome Donna I think me Tabby and Julie are still doing the prarie star one, I am on my second one and almost done with all my white sections I have been on a crochet slump this week and havn't been doing anything I just want to sleep. Of course Tabby over here is like basically done with her second one already but her getting ahead of me is motivating me a little lol.

Julie any new pics of yours. I cant wait to see it finished, it's gonna be really pretty.

I admire anyone that can go into the paint program and make things larger I would have liked to make this one bigger. I'm just not real good with things like that.

Donna welcome, I can feel your excitement all the way across the ocean. I cant wait to see a pic of your prairie star and how you made it bigger. Congrats to you on being able to do this.

Julie - Come on, finish the PS. You can do it. We are all cheering you on here.

Andrea - Sounds like your close to finishing yours. You will be able to join the little square table soon.

The little square disease is contagious and we have all been quarantined. Which means we can all sit in here together and make little squares.:D

Ugh you guys are killing me. lol Now I want to try the PS too:eek I have to take a break from my quilt for at least today lol. I am trying to put together my comfortghan. Sooo I am hoping to get right back to it tomorrow though. I have one and a half of the 12 squares done. :hook I can't believe how fast it's going. And yes these little squares are definitely addicting.

Julie you crack me up about the browns. :lol They are one of the few underdogs I cheer for :cheer:heehee

Come on Julie, you can do it. :cheer :cheer

I haven't worked on mine much today. I spent most of the day sleeping because I feel kinda yuck-O. Thankfully my Hubby was home today. :manyheart

I did manage to finish all of the blue & have started on the aspen in the corners. :yay So close yet so far. :yes:eek

Archived