Dying failure...

mamaoso

This is from my Kool-aid dying job...After felting lost the color..what can I do to keep it from losing all the color??

I added the yarn and chick so you can see what it started out as..

th_orange.jpg

The basket that I'm working on now I add vinegar to the rinse and I'm going to steam it , before I felt it.. Do you think that will help??

I never lost the color after felting before. Did you soak the undyed yarn in warm water and vinegar before you dyed it? Did you use vinegar in the Kool-Aid dye bath? That's always how I do it and have never had any problems with fading.

I never use vinegar when I dye with Kool Aid (in the soaking water or mixed with the Kool Aid) and I have no problems with losing color when I felt. I wonder if you didn't heat set the yarn for long enough. That's the only thing I can think of right now.

I've seen some color run off in the felting water, but never lost all color with my home dyed yarns. I do know that red is notoriously unstable a color, our dyehouse used to warn us they couldn't guarantee matches and that the red color tablecovers would fade more over time than other colors.

Archived