New to Crochet

BostonDeb

Question

I have just recently taught myself how to crochet. I do though have many questions:

1. What is a great first book to get for a beginner?

2. For right now my goal is to work on all types of Granny Squares, is there a great book with good directions and photos?

I would love to hear from you with any " great tips" you all have. I have gone to some of the blogs and so many of you crochet so beautifully. I am also interested in hearing about joining the squares. I have been to many sites and have seen different methods....I would love to hear from all of you too!:manyheart

Thank you,

Deb :sun

7 answers to this question

Hi! I just started crocheting in November and the best help I got was right here! Since then I recommend "Stitch n Bitch, the Happy Hooker". She explains things very well with a nice dose of humor. "The Crochet Answer Book" is super too. "The Encyclopedia of Crochet" has a gazillion different stitch pattern you can learn.

I went through a bunch of posts here goin waaaaay back and printed off quite a few...the experience and expertise of the people is amazing:)

Are you from Boston?

Since you said you're enjoying squares right now, I would suggest the book 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton to start with - it's got tons of designs, a few join methods, and also some ideas about working with color.

Another thought would be to do a search in the Crochetville forums, for terms like "join method" "joining squares" "crochet tips" and "crochet hints." I know many threads on these same topics have been started before, and you may find them to contain a wealth of information.

Good luck! :hook

Im new to this forun so im not real sure how the responce is to questions, but it seems that since there is an area just for crochet help, any questions you have would be answeared promptly. I know that there are tons of free patterns on crochetpatterncentral.com for squares, and it may be a good idea to use a publically available pattern, so that if you need help anyone here can help you, not just the people with that book...and you would have more money for yarn!

Thanks for your information and your lovely note. I actually was born in Boston and have family there but do not live there anymore. Where in Boston do you live?

Deb

Hi! I just started crocheting in November and the best help I got was right here! Since then I recommend "Stitch n Bitch' date=' the Happy Hooker". She explains things very well with a nice dose of humor. "The Crochet Answer Book" is super too. "The Encyclopedia of Crochet" has a gazillion different stitch pattern you can learn.

I went through a bunch of posts here goin waaaaay back and printed off quite a few...the experience and expertise of the people is amazing:)

Are you from Boston?[/quote']

Welcome! This is a stellar site! I'm not "new" to crochet but I'm only really an intermediate with the hooks!

I 2nd the rec for the 99 Granny Squares book. My sister gave me that last year and since then I've really gotten much more into projects. The instructions are easy and cut and dry, and give you a lot of variety to your work.

Archived