what not to crochet...

summerysmile

Dont get me wrong Jimbo.....I totally understand what you are saying. I for one dont want to be the one having the fun poked at me.....and was not by any means saying it was right to do that to someone......But it sorta surprises me that those that pass judgement so easily find it hard to believe that other do it as well.....I did laugh and at the same time thought how grateful I am I wasnt the one in the cross hairs....

Guess its kinda like laughing at some comedians.....you may think they are a hoot but there are gonna be many who find them offensive and down right wrong......ya see what I mean?

As for myself I have in the past made some down right ugly stuff.....painted some pretty horrific things too.....and probably still do according to some...to each his/her own I guess....

Casting the first stone is all I'm saying......

Privately or publicly the words still have been said...they carry as much weight. Sorta like saying I can talk about someone all I want behind their back as long as they dont hear....

I think I am done now in this thread....bafflement upon bafflement...:think

I wish I were as perfect as some would lead other to believe them to be....

I am also a little torn. Of course people have the right to say and do what they want, but we are all held accountable for what we say or do. So by the same token, other people have a right to dislike their site and think bad things about the authors for being so nasty. And saying something critical about somebody sometimes is, I think, qualitatively different from devoting entire chunks of your life, time, and space to publicize to everyone everything bad you can think of, actually seeking out the bad stuff so you can talk about it.

At the same time, I go to that site often because it's funny. The site may be full of itchiness (yeah, you know what I mean) but sometimes itchiness is funny.

Btw, I have to say that I don't think the writers on this site are 1/2 as witty as the ones on the knitting version "you knit what?"

One question I have, though, for both What Not to Crochet and You Knit What? is, where are the authors' works? Hmmm . . .

HA!!!!! Too funny! I mean, I know I'd be embarrassed to have a pattern turn up there, but COME ON!!! Some of those things are TERRIFYING!!!!!!! I've been cringing at some patterns for years... glad somebody is pointing out that yes, on occasion, crochet patterns can be... well, not so good.

That's why I'm glad to have discovered Crochetville so I can discover the GOOD ones!

Guest Catlizg
:laughroll Mixed feelings, but truthfully the evil me found it funny as hell. I have the utmost awe for crochet designers and the things I've seen people come up with. I might not like some things, but I'm still incredibly impressed that someone designed and created them. The simple fact that some of those things are plain out ugly doesn't take away from the fact that it took initiative. Look - I love my fuchsia poncho but realize someone else might look at it and think "What on earth?" Life is too short - laughter is healthy and some of those fugs on the site plain out made me laugh. :laughroll

I love that site. I check it all the time although I don't always read what she writes. I get a crack out of most of the stuff she posts.

Don't feel bad Bonnie, I kinda like the fluff wrap thing.

I've known about that site for a while, its funny in an ironic kind of way.

Like, I will crochet just about anything and everything...even some of the stuff listed up there I think itsnt that bad...lol :D

Its a funny site though,

I contributed before read here:

http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/2006/02/04/pointy-boob-bathing-suits/

naida:hook

I think it's hilarious! I don't have to agree with everything to still enjoy the site. For that matter, I may be a little strange, but I wouldn't care if they posted some of the stuff I've crocheted. I've posted a lot of it my photo album, good and bad, and some it is bad! What was I thinking?

I don't think they mean for you to take that site too seriously. I kind of like that bolero, if it weren't red and green! There's a companion knitting site called You Knit What? too.

I think it's meanspirited. Even if I agree that much of what I was looking at was not to my taste, I thought the designs were actually okay, but the choice of color or even the type of yarn used for the design definately questionable.

I didn't find any of the musings funny myself...but humor is a relative thing...what's funny to one is not funny to another.

I don't know...it's one thing to be sharing with your friends about what you like and dislike, but this is ridicule and it's on the web.

But this is just my opinion.

Privately or publicly the words still have been said...they carry as much weight. Sorta like saying I can talk about someone all I want behind their back as long as they dont hear....

I think I am done now in this thread....bafflement upon bafflement...:think

I wish I were as perfect as some would lead other to believe them to be....

You know, I truly take exception to this...just because one may have a problem with something doesn't mean they are necessarily being "judgmental." Opinionated, yeah...just like the site maybe "opinionated." There are still ways to say something without sounding holier than thou...that's what turns me off about this site...as if the poster could design or make better things...that's the tone I felt reading that site.

What I bolded, when a person writes something like that, they are also making a judgment call...and I challenge that.

I think it should be alright to come out and say what you like or don't like...this particular site has the right to do so...but I have the right to then say that I think the tone is humilating and meanspirited and NEVER visit that site again...and I'm saying the "tone" not the person...I don't know the person...I'm sure away from the website, she's a lovely person.

Of course we all have two sides to ourselves...and I don't think for one minute than ANY of the posters here would think that they are PERFECT.

I think it's hilarious! I don't have to agree with everything to still enjoy the site. For that matter, I may be a little strange, but I wouldn't care if they posted some of the stuff I've crocheted. I've posted a lot of it my photo album, good and bad, and some it is bad! What was I thinking?

I don't think they mean for you to take that site too seriously. I kind of like that bolero, if it weren't red and green! There's a companion knitting site called You Knit What? too.

I must agree... I found it hilarious - I was IMing with my daughter who is 250 miles away at university (also a crochet/knitter) and we were rolling:laughroll . Of COURSE if one takes it serious they may end up offended; I/we viewed it in a satirical way and found both the crochet and knit sites very, um, entertaining.:sofunny

Now obviously some (many) of these designs had a tremendous amount of work and talent invested in them - they just kinda missed it with either the yarn choice, the color combination choice, or truly hideous design... I mean a hat that looks like on octopus? really:loser .

Certainly People magazine and E! channel and the like just love to show the 'worst dressed on the Red Carpet' and many people eat it up! So I see this as the 'fiber art' version of Red Carpet misses! I, too, have made some real doozies, and if I knew how to load pictures I'd be happy to share. I recently stumbled upon a UFO (circa mid '90s) and honestly thought what the @#$% was I thinking with that color combo/design?

And bottom line, is the wonderful freedom of choice that we all have! We can choose not to look at something offensive to our personal tastes... or we can bookmark both sites (as I did) to make sure not to lose them and to be able to get a laugh when our own poncho/shrug/afghan/scarf with pockets in day-glow purple just doesn't come out as gorgeous as we visioned in our head!

Just my opinion, of course...:confused

Not to be a pain, but any image/work is automatically copyright the owner according the the copyright laws. You don't need to go out of your way to protect it. In fact you do need to go out of your way to say if you are allowing people to use it in any way.

I must agree... I found it hilarious - I was IMing with my daughter who is 250 miles away at university (also a crochet/knitter) and we were rolling:laughroll . Of COURSE if one takes it serious they may end up offended; I/we viewed it in a satirical way and found both the crochet and knit sites very, um, entertaining.:sofunny

Now obviously some (many) of these designs had a tremendous amount of work and talent invested in them - they just kinda missed it with either the yarn choice, the color combination choice, or truly hideous design... I mean a hat that looks like on octopus? really:loser .

Certainly People magazine and E! channel and the like just love to show the 'worst dressed on the Red Carpet' and many people eat it up! So I see this as the 'fiber art' version of Red Carpet misses! I, too, have made some real doozies, and if I knew how to load pictures I'd be happy to share. I recently stumbled upon a UFO (circa mid '90s) and honestly thought what the @#$% was I thinking with that color combo/design?

And bottom line, is the wonderful freedom of choice that we all have! We can choose not to look at something offensive to our personal tastes... or we can bookmark both sites (as I did) to make sure not to lose them and to be able to get a laugh when our own poncho/shrug/afghan/scarf with pockets in day-glow purple just doesn't come out as gorgeous as we visioned in our head!

Just my opinion, of course...:confused

Paulette, while I agree with you about this site being a fiber art "Red Carpet" and goodness knows I used to love to watch the Red Carpet shows in the past, that all stopped a year or so after Joan Rivers started doing them...why...because they are meanspirited...I also don't like the show "What Not to Wear" for the same reason. Sure, the advice is good, but I just don't like the vibe...I don't find it funny. I don't like to see people being unmercilessly ridiculed and humilated (although I did notice that on "What Not to Wear" the couple of times I saw the show last year, had softened their tone just a bit...) even if the results work in the end.

And why is it that when one questions any kind of humor like this, the response is, "Well I think it's not to be taken seriously..." I respectfully disagree...

I said I was done in this thread but feel I should defend myself and then I will truly be done, I hope....

Eurolyons I havent a clue why you think I was speaking to you directly I wasn't...

My point is that even here in this forum we have had threads where people have given their opinions on certain pubications. In some of these threads it has been said " that project is ugly, I won't be making it"...or "I didn't buy that magazine due to the God awful projects"...or better yet, "I dont know who is designing these things but I don;t like fun fur it's just plain ugly and over done"...

I do not like the meanspiritedness any more than you say you do but to act as one hasnt made the same comment to themselves is others is contradictory.

As for the perfect remark....I stand by what I said.....how can any of you "shocked" and upset by that blog act as if you never ever had a mean thought....

Go ahead and challege me or what I said.....but I challege you to improve your reading comprehension, perhaps if you had taken the time to read my post in totallity as well as Summerysmiles you would understand what I was saying.

An opinion is nothing more than a personal thought and JUDGEMENT you have come to......

And in closing perhaps this should be read about photos, unless you PROTECT your photos once they are posted on a public domain...anyone and everyone will and can "take" them and use them how they see fit...May not be right but it happens....I am a photographer and protect my photos, that I plan on using professionally, if posted in a public area, meaning the net.

Good day to you!

This place has turned so blood thirsty and self righeous.....what happened to being a grown-up and using our grey matter?

Eurolyons I havent a clue why you think I was speaking to you directly I wasn't...

I know you weren't directing your comments to me personally, I hadn't even posted in the thread yet...I was going back over the thread and got offended just reading that you would say that to anyone on this thread at all. There was NO ONE on this thread that was acting so righteously with their comments about not liking that site. THEY DIDN'T THINK THEY WERE "PERFECT!"

As for the perfect remark....I stand by what I said.....how can any of you "shocked" and upset by that blog act as if you never ever had a mean thought....

You know, I stand by what I say too...sure people say things, but doesn't mean that anyone (including the owner of the blog) that is going necessarily be like that 24/7!

You were assuming that those people that were saying anything to the contrary of the site were being "Judgmental!" They weren't. They were stating an opinion...just like you have!

Just because one has an opinion about something, yet sometimes might act or say something to the contrary does not mean that they are necessarily being hypocrites.

And that's my personal opinion.

I think the site is funny.

I think meanspirited would be crochet snark they can be downright harsh. But the site we are discussing is funny. Some of that is aweful, I think it can also serve as a guide in what not to make so we can change the opinion that crochet is frumpy, awful stuff.

and, I am sure everyone has thought " what on earth" to things they've seen. this person is just bieng straightforeward about it instead of lying to be nice. While I dont want to be featured there, if I am, I get free advertising of my design, and while the author of said blog might not like it, someone else will, as proven by previous posts.

Just because one has an opinion about something, yet sometimes might act or say something to the contrary does not mean that they are necessarily being hypocrites.

HYPOCRISY:

1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
  2. An act or instance of such falseness.

how are they not bieng hypocrites?

**Putting on the Fireman's Hat now, sigh...**

I'm closing this thread to further discussion. Feels like we've got brush-fires popping up all over the place today. :(

Archived