what not to crochet...

summerysmile

I've known about it for months. And I'm torn. Part of me thinks is really funny. And part of me thinks it's not, because I am familiar with a lot of the designers and don't want it to hamper their creativity (even if I don't care for the design). There have been things posted there I really liked, and I am not a wild and crazy person. I think. :)

I found it amusing which I think is the point.

And I have to admit, even if some of the patterns were nice (like the green bolero)-they did pick the most awful colors or types of yarn to show it which is the point of many of the comments.

Everyone has their own opinion which is what makes the world go 'round... ;)

What a good laugh that gave me! I could just see me wearing that poncho & scarf - NOT! How about the "Squid hat" - glasses anyone?

Ha ha ha ha ha

I think its hilarious! The patterns are not so bad (well some of them might be), its just the colors they use, they are sayng what I have been thinking for years! There are a lot more fashionable colors out there nowadays to use, hot pink is NEVER a good choice!

I thought it was so funny, I not only bookmarked it, but forwarded it to everyone in my email list. People always make fun of the 'fact' that I crochet, but they always love my designs. By far, my favourite on the site is the Couch Dress!!!!????!!! Unbelievable!

As a crocheter who posts pics of completed projects, I sure hope I don't end up on their pages. I believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. -Pam

Rest assured, Pam, your stuff will never end up there! You do beautiful work.

Some of the designs showcased on that site are not really bad--the designers just really need to think about their color usage before making and selling the design.

Oh, and that "Couch Dress" is just hideous....who would want a dress that fits you and your couch? :yuck I'd rather curl up under a baby blanket!

I'm laughing :lol and crying!:(

I would hate to see anything I made show up there... and some of the things they showcased I liked just fine.

But, for the most part, it really did crack me up. That Couchdress is BEYOND words!

Don't like it. Its one thing to poke fun at yourself, but quite another to ridicule someone elses work.

If the work is meant to be funny then ok. But i'm thinking that what is shown there is someone's art and shouldn't be so rudely put down.

Imagine finding your own work featured like that. I know if mine showed up in such a publication, i'd be beyond crushed.

Just my 2bits.

I think it's horrible. Aren't we all here to encourage each other? And isn't it illegal to use other peoples pictures? Many of those are marked with the copyright owners name or site.

I agree with Jimbo that its not the most kindhearted site around, but when you put something up on the web, you open yourself for all sorts of comments. It's the nature of the beast. I would be very hurt if I designed something and had it ridiculed, but by the same token, the site cracked me up. Obviously all of us are active on the web. There is a lot of mean spirited stuff out on the web. I don't think the site is "kind" but I don't think it's mean spirited. And if we can't laugh at ourselves - who can we laugh at.

last night I posted a picture of the Easter bunny egg I made. Honestly I think its adorable for a first try, but when I looked at it, it looks like a stoned Mexican (no slur intended, but the face looked like he was smoking something and somehow it looked oddly Mexican). I stated calling him Carlos the Easter Bunny and Hubby and I cracked up about it. Some of those patterns are beautiful, but not everyone is going to love everything, and honestly - that green jacket? A magnificent pattern but......Its Bright green with red fuzz! Green is my favorite color, but come on!

I think it's funny, although as was said, some of the stuff they choose isn't really that hideous.

Really, we all make fug sometimes, and I think point of that site is to just have a good laugh over it, not pick apart the designer [Generally. I've seen it done there before but I believe it was more of vindetta thing.] In fact, most of the posts don't even have links to where the pattern or pics came from.

I'd treat it as a showcase for "What Not To Crochet" as it was intended, and not as a personal attack. And seriously, maybe we as a crafting group can take some hints from the nastiness pictured there... ICK!!

Actully it is for fun....and is for the most part funny....

As far as it being wrong or illegal to take someone elses pictures and use them, unless the pictures are protected with the right click feature or under copy right they are free game....

I am surprised at the shock of being judgemental, seems quite a common thing among blogs and forums, thats what they are for frankly, to post thoughts and ideas of a personal nature, this should be a concept familiar to many.....encouraging crochet is one thing but encouraging life is another......

walks like a duck people!!!!:devil

Well, as Cordelia has pointed out, it is a blog and they can pretty much post whatever they want to there. It's not my cuppa, generally, but I did want to point out that the Couch Dress mentioned is from a site that is an obvious satire site - you should see some of the other things they had posted there! :lol

I guess I was just amazed that someone would have an entire blog devoted entirely to making fun of things that someone obviously had a feeling of accomplishment over.

I've always heard if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I just can't believe someone would devote the kind of time it takes to up keep a blog entirely to being critical at someone else's expense! Although, I don't care for some of the things on there....who cares?

My $0.02...

Oh, and I might add...I'm not saying they don't have a right to post their opinions....I'm just saying it's not very nice to post about some of the "ma & pop" type patterns.

I guess I was just amazed that someone would have an entire blog devoted entirely to making fun of things that someone obviously had a feeling of accomplishment over.

I've always heard if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I just can't believe someone would devote the kind of time it takes to up keep a blog entirely to being critical at someone else's expense! Although, I don't care for some of the things on there....who cares?

My $0.02...

I did have to chuckle, but I just wonder if the person who made these items is colorblind?? That would be sad. :ohdear thinking that you were making something fabulous and have others ridicule it because you couldn't see your color scheme. The designs weren't bad, just the colors......unless the "unusual" colors were meant to attract the very young, who go for the totally different look, to say it mildly. Some kids like to wear things that no one else would dream of wearing. Oh well, It's not for me though.

Daisy.

The thing is, some people take the time and effort to keep blogs for their hamsters, or stinky gym shoes, or *whatever.* Some people take the time to crochet ugly things, and this site takes the time to poke fun at them. To each their own, right?

I also don't see what makes posting about Lion Brand's fug any better than posting about "ma and pop" fug?? It's still not "nice," either way. Sometimes people just aren't "nice," its a fact of life.

I gotta say I find it odd that several people are shocked someone wouldnt say nice things.....I mean havent you ever in your WHOLE life said anything critical?....Not one comment like, I can't believe she would wear that, what was she thinking?....If ya havent then you should be sainted!:think

And being as no one makes us look at these things, blogs, etc.....you have the right to close out the window and move on.

good points! And you've almost convinced me, and i'm sure not the one to claim not to ever have been cynical. And i pass it up or gawk like anyone else. Still, i'd be crawling in a hole somewhere if someone did that to me... for the world to see and smirk.

Can't say that I've NEVER said anything critical, but I do try not to be publicly critical.

And yes, I did look at the site that I stumbled upon and then I closed out the window....and I won't be going back.

I gotta say I find it odd that several people are shocked someone wouldnt say nice things.....I mean havent you ever in your WHOLE life said anything critical?....Not one comment like, I can't believe she would wear that, what was she thinking?....If ya havent then you should be sainted!:think

And being as no one makes us look at these things, blogs, etc.....you have the right to close out the window and move on.

Archived