When to move link buttons to a separate page?

Stacey

This morning I'm looking at my links section, and there are a bunch of other people whose link buttons I keep meaning to add, people who I subbed to with bloglines but forgot to add their button to my page.

Anyway, the link buttons are all in my sidebar (which shows up on every page in the blog) and between the individual blog buttons and buttons that link to places like Crochetville and crochetpatternscentral.com, I've got close to 20, and that's before I catch up adding buttons.

I'm torn between leaving all the pretty buttons in the sidebar and moving them to their own page to improve the load time for the rest of the site. At what point to do you all think it makes sense to move the buttons to their own page? I like having them in my sidebar, but I can already see that it's taking a while to load on my dialup connection. (Then again, I may be the last person on earth with a slowpoke dialup connection :lol so I don't know how big an issue this really is...)

You know when I found out about bloglines I took off the buttons and added the bloglines blogroll instead but I do miss the buttons. I think they would be deserving of their own page.

There are some cute and pretty buttons out there.

I think if you feel they need their own page then by all means make them one!:))

I added marquee options for mine, but that seems to make the page slower for other people too (not sure if they use dial up or what) So I'm looking for a solution as well. I only have one page to my blog so adding a button link would be fairly easy seeing as how there are free options everywhere! However then ya wonder how many people actually would visit the button page LOL it doesn't help that I collect buttons :bang

I took all my buttons and posted them on a blog entry all to themselves. Then I linked the entry up on my sidebar for quick reference,with a button of course. :D! I still can collect buttons that way, and every few weeks I go through my button folder to see what is new that I haven't added. I read WAY more blogs with Bloglines than I have linked on my blog, but I do my best to keep it relatively current. I'm probably due right about now for an update.

D'oh! I posted this and then forgot I already posted it and was thinking about coming over here and posting this question :loco:blush

Thanks for all the input! I think I will go ahead and move them--I hate to take them off the front page, but I think it'll help the load time a lot to have them in a separate area. And thanks for the tip about making an entry with them in it and then linking to that--one of the reasons I kept putting it off was that I wasn't sure I'd be able to get the page to look like the rest of my Wordpress templates, even if I linked to the same stylesheet (not that I'd tried it yet or anything like that :)) ), so I kept putting it off thinking it'd be a lot of work to make a page from scratch that looked like the rest of the blog. But making an entry will be *so* much easier!

I, too, love the buttons. Before bloglines, I would have to click each and everyone of them to see what was updated. I was also really good about updating the buttons on my blog, too.

Since I have started using bloglines, I left the buttons I already had on my side bar and added a button that says, "Blogs I read" that is stationary (or is that stationery??) that links to my bloglines public view. The other buttons are still there, but on marquee to save space on my side bar.

I still love buttons, but it is extremly time-consuming to update my template, so lately, I haven't updated it. Time is scarce for me lately, so if you don't see your button on my blog -- please don't be offended. I am still reading your blog and I'm subscribed to it through bloglines. :))

Archived