Carrying hooks on a plane

Has anyone had a problem carrying their crochet projects on an airplane? Specifically, do they have a problem with the hook? I know I wil probably have to get a pair of blunt scissors.

I flew recently and had no problem bringing my crochet on board. I would check the airline first. Also, I saw a little tidbit in an article about bring a thing of dental floss with you in case they take away the scissors. YOu can use the little cutting thing on the floss to break the yarn :)

Each airport now has their own search policy. Your bags will be checked through the scanners, some airports still make you take your shoes off and scan them, some airports still pat you down and use the wand, and some still go through your bags. The best way to check if your airline is going to allow crochet hooks is to call their 1-800 customer service number. I haven't had any problems with crochet hooks or knitting needles, but that's not to say you won't. I would, just in case, pack a small padded envelope with your return address..JUST in case you can not take your hooks on the plane and can not check them..that way you can mail them back to yourself. As far as scissors, alot of ladies use a dental floss holder or even the thread cutters. That would be the safer choice over scissors.

Donna

I was concerned about this when I flew - esecially when I flew abroad!

It is legal to carry crochet hooks and knitting needles. I actually printed out the guidelines when I flew and carried them with me. You can not bring sharp scissors - I bought a pair of rounded kiddie scissors for travel.

What I did was put my hooks and scissors, etc in a zip lock bag, and took it out of my carryon when I went through security so they could see exactly what I had.

No problems.

Has anyone had a problem carrying their crochet projects on an airplane? Specifically, do they have a problem with the hook? I know I wil probably have to get a pair of blunt scissors.

After 9/11, knitting needles weren't allowed but crochet hooks have never been a problem. I wouldn't take tiny steel hooks that you can stab someone with but when I flew last I took my hook case with probably a dozen hooks and there were no problems. I also packed a pair of childs safety scissors to be on the safe side.

About a month ago, they lifted the ban on several items. Knitting needles are now allowed again. Click here to go to the Homeland Security Website and download the Word Document which plainly spells out what you can and cannot take with you.

Oh, and if I were you, I would print that document and take with you.

When I flew in June I checked the list carefully and knew that childs safety scissors were allowed. I had 2 airports to get checked through and O'Hare airport had no problems but when I got to the little puddle jumper airport the lady literally threw all my items onto the table and sifted through them and confiscated my scissors. If I would have had that form with me I could have shown her that they were allowed.

These screeners are overworked and most of the time a little testy so getting rude with them won't help but actually having the document with you can save yourself some frustration.

Thanks for all the advice, I will be flying to Australia and the flight is about 14 hours, a perfect time to get some serious crochet time in! The Quantas site specifically says no knitting needles, so I quess I will call them to be sure. And I don;t want to hold up the rest of the party I am traveling with if I am searched, so I think I will take theworm's great advice and have them out and ready to speed things along. Looking forward to checking out Austrailia's yarn selection!Thanks for all your help!

Actually, I believe that's correct, you can't take knitting needles but crochet hooks are fine. Because of the blunt end on the hook as opposed to the point on a knitting needle...as if that would make a big difference if using it as a weapon...anyway. I think that's what the FAA says also.

When I flew in March I checked with the airline and I took my crochet hooks and a pair of scissors (the blades had to be less than 4 inches) and didn't have any problems what so ever. The security people didn't even question it. I did however take an alumunim hook (instead of my wooden hooks) just in case they did confiscate them.

I just flew to Texas last month and took a complete set of hooks with me on the plane. I also purchased at Hobby Lobby a yarn cutter that is completly legal for the plane. It is a small medallion with slots in it. It cost me about 6 dollars. Hope that helps

Yup, I have one of those cutting pendants, too. I bought it when I had jury duty, and wasn't sure if I would get scissors past security there...

knitting needles are ok, too. They used to be a problem, but not anymore.

I was concerned when I flew to Bangkok - that's why I printed the regulations. I also bought some plastic hooks, but the metal ones were fine - and I don't think I would have survived 30 hours of travel without my crocheting!!!!

Australia! How wonderful! Can't wait to hear about your trip! Is it vacation?

Did you get searched?

Not on the way there. But I had trouble on the way home because I had bought some crystals (the one with the etching on the inside). The issue was that the X-ray machine could see through the crystal so my bag got searched. the gaurd had on other issues with my saftey pins, hooks or scissors.:cheer

I brought thread, #8 steel hook but no scissors. All was well. I also happened to bring a tweezer and again all was well EXCEPT leaving Mexico - - Of all things my tweezer was confiscated!

My advise is not to even bother with a print out of the regulations. Sometimes these people get upset if their judgement is questioned. It's just not worth the price of a #8 hook in my eyes! If you are detained and miss your flight it's worse.

Have fun and happy trails!

Karen

Thanks theworm! My sister and I are going to visit my brother. We are very excited! My sister in law says that in Australia, needlework is very popular, especially knitting and she sees women knitting in public everywhere.

I take my crochet hooks on planes all the time in the US (I fly ~ once a month). If there are many of them (if I take a whole set) they may look through the bag to see what they are.

My friends who knit take their knitting on the plane too.

However, overseas travel is different. I saw "no knitting needles" on signs in Dublin and London. My flights through London, Amsterdam, and Dublin (including right after the London bombings) had no problem with my crochet hooks, though they took them out and looked at them. (with a comment like, "Oh, you knit" "No, I crochet") I'd recommend taking only a few hooks and putting them in with pens/pencils. I had my whole collection with me and the array of steel hooks caught attention. After I put them in my checked luggage with just the two I needed in my carry on, I was fine and no one noticed.

I never take scissors with me since mine are part of my swiss army knife set. I use the dental floss method since I have a small travel sized one.

Guest Catlizg

Even blunt scissors might be a no-no; I purchased a thread cutting pendant/pin to use. It works perfectly.

I don't fly, but I do work in a criminal court in Los Angeles where everyone including employees has to go through weapons screening. We cannot bring scissors of ANY sort in (stupid, 'cause I have them upstairs in my desk drawer, but whatever) but if I go to another court building - as sometimes is necessary - then I carry nail clippers to cut the yarn. I recently got one of those round things that they have, not sure what it's called, but it has little slots in there to cut the yarn; I'd seen them for thread before, but this was the first one I saw for yarn. As far as knitting needles and crochet hooks, we cannot take metal knitting needles or hooks in - but wood or plastic is okay. I don't know what any of this has to do with going on airplanes, but that is my experience with weapon screening and how I improvise to be able to bring my beloved crochet with me!

When I flew in January I went up to one of the TSA agents before I checked my luggage to ask if I could bring my crochet hook. They said it was not a problem. I have also read that we may now bring small scissors aboard, under a certain length (which I've forgotten)

Joan

Archived