Using 100% Wool for Afghan

insurechick

Question

I've been considering using a wool yarn for an afghan...because of the shades of color I can find it in...but I'm concerned about it's scratchyness. :blush Has that been a problem for anyone who has used 100% wool for an afghan??

11 answers to this question

It depends on the kind of wool you use. Some is scratchy and others are as soft as a baby's bottom. I'd shop around and see what you come up with. I've only used Lion Brand Wool and a few kinds from Knit Picks so I'm not a wool expert. I'm sures ome of the others on this board who spin their own yarns and are more knowledgeable than I will be able to tell you specific kinds to use...

Good luck! :hook

Washing, as Gran mentioned, is another issue - make sure you look for wools that are superwash, or else you'll be paying a *ton* to have the 'ghan drycleaned.

Merino is known to be a softer wool, however, it's also known for having a tendency to pill. No matter what type of wool you end up going with, those labeled as "Virgin lambswool" [or something of the sort] will be less scratchy because they're from the first shearing and don't have as many blunt ends. [Much like how after you shave your legs, the hair grows back in prickly... the end you shaved off is prickly, too, LOL! The same concept applies to sheared fibers.]

Can't wait to see what you end up deciding!

Hmmm....I haven't come to a conclusion yet...I might just plan this afghn out of acrylics and do more research. Thanks for your comments everyone.

I know a lot of people like using LB Wool-ease for afghans. It is mostly Acrylic, but has some percentage of wool (I think 20%) but am too lazy to go look.

I have a lovely wool afghan that my sister-in-law knitted for me. It is so incredibly warm and lovely. :) I'm really sensitive to wool, but it's not that scratchy for me. I also used it as a bedspread mostly, so there was nice flannel between it and me. And even if I napped under just that, I was usually wearing clothes.

Washing, as Gran mentioned, is another issue - make sure you look for wools that are superwash, or else you'll be paying a *ton* to have the 'ghan drycleaned.
Not necessarily so. To wash any wool item, fill the washer with hot water and some shampoo (about a tablespoon) and agitate for a couple seconds. Stop agitation, and add item. Let soak till water cools. Spin water out. *Remove item, fill with hot water and 1/2 cup vinegar. Add item and let soak till water cools. Spin out water.* Repeat from * to *. Lay flat to dry.

Granted using superwash makes it much easier, but wool items can be washed without damage.

Hot water isn't a problem provided you dont aggitate the wool and allow it to cool before rinsing in lukewarm water. Don't wring gently squeeze then spin before drying. Oh and if you are worried about the softness you have a lot of wool blends you could try over there. Wool blended with Alpaca or mohair is very nice but do shop around first.

Archived