Mile-A-Minute CAL

barbn77

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

122035083_4a5706bda4_m.jpg

Two strips done and 8 more to go! The colors remind me of Thanksgiving. I decided to weave the ends in and sew them together as I go because experience tells me that if I do not then the blanket either will never be put together or all the ends will be hanging out. This is a fun project, thanks Barb for putting this together.:hook

Maria your dishcloth came out so great! Neat colors.

Well since I was only making a dishcloth to start, let me be the first to post a picture of a FO!

I have never done the MAM before so I hope it's alright, I didn't really follow a pattern, I just did as they say......winged it!!

MAMdishcloth.jpg

Great colors, everyone!

I've finished 2 projects I needed to get out of the way and am hoping to have a 3rd done by tonight- I really want to be able to focus on this. I picked up a couple more skeins of yarn yesterday- I'm going with LB Baby Soft in Bubblegum, and Carousel print. I think it will be very cute. :c9 I hope so, anyway! I'm itching to get started.

Looks like I need to get movin'!

AJ~ I love your design! It's very pretty, and the colors are lovely.

Maria~ How cute! Congrats on your first MAM.

Amanda~ Very pretty! It reminds me of Thanksgiving, too. I bet you'll love using it this fall.

I was going to get some housework done, but I think I'll crochet... just for a liilt bit. :devil

OK.... I wasn't going to do it.... but I LOVE MAM! And I can't resist! So I"m in! I think I will do a baby ghan and will look for my MAM book for a pattern. The last MAM I did was a poncho and it went so fast! Cant wait to figure out yarn and pattern! Update later!

Thanks, Barb.

I got 3 projects finished so I'm fairly clear to start...in fact, I started yesterday. :lol I made one strip last night and it's cute...I'm not really thrilled with the pattern, though, so I'm going to check out CPC to see if she has any other baby MAM patterns...if not, I'll have to Google. I only have 3 weeks! :eek

I'd like to join but I have a couple of questions!

Firstly, this would be my first CAL, so I'm excited about that!

Secondly, about the MAM... does each strip *have* to be constructed from a long foundation chain, then worked in rounds? Or can each strip be a small foundation chain of about 20 or so, then worked upwards (like a long skinny scarf) and then a couple of rows of rounds around it, then joined with the other strips?

The reason I ask is about 20 years ago when I was younger I watched my mother crochet a MAM pattern, but it was worked similar to this except each panel was fatter than 20 chains across. It was maybe 40.

If this would be okay for a MAM afghan, I'd like to design my own. I have some ideas in my head for something I think would be quite pretty, but just wanted to make sure that it would still count as a MAM. :D

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited about possibly doing a CAL with you!:hook

In an book of award winning mile-a-minute patterns (there's a picture of a braided one on the front) by Leisure Arts, there's a pattern for a mile a minute afghan in the style you described. It has a center strip worked in various jewel tones kind of like stained glass, and then is bordered by black, has black criss-crosses like tied up shoes and is joined. I don't have the book, but that unique pattern caught my eye.

Hey that sounds neat! One of these days I'll have to see if I can find some of my mother's old crochet pattern books. I'm sure there are a ton in there I'd enjoy working on.

And besides.... who wouldn't want to have more patterns?? ;)

Oh I am so in on this cal but first I have to go to Mexico. Oh well I love it there. I made a mile a minute for the amegios project and loved how fast it went and I used all scraps it is sooooo colorful. Hunh there may be a picture of it on the Amegios blog it would be listed as Issabells gahn. So I have a bunch of scraps and am ready for another one. Yippeeee!!

Hey! How's everyone doing?

Just wanted to post an update - I'm almost done with mine! Got a couple more rounds of border to do and then weaving in ends. This has truly been a learning experience for me with designing it myself, but also with the ways that MAMs work and join. I'd never successfully joined ANYthing together before. I'm much more comfortable with afghans that are done all in one piece so this was definitely a departure for me.

BUT I loved it! What a great way to just jump right in -- when you know others are "there" with you. :D I'm definitely going to do more CALs. Such a fun way to do this!

I'll post pics a little later when I get this thing finished. I'm hoping I'll have it done by the afternoon sometime.

Hope everything is going smoothly for everyone else! :hook

In an book of award winning mile-a-minute patterns (there's a picture of a braided one on the front) by Leisure Arts, there's a pattern for a mile a minute afghan in the style you described. It has a center strip worked in various jewel tones kind of like stained glass, and then is bordered by black, has black criss-crosses like tied up shoes and is joined. I don't have the book, but that unique pattern caught my eye.

I have that leaflet and that 'ghan is pretty :) There is another MAM in there that is just rows of dc in an aran color with a simple diamond pattern of bobbles all up it's length, them bordered with a contrasting color. Another pattern looks like granny squares but they're really not! It's leaflet #3144- (30 Afghans).

I have that leaflet and that 'ghan is pretty :) There is another MAM in there that is just rows of dc in an aran color with a simple diamond pattern of bobbles all up it's length, them bordered with a contrasting color. Another pattern looks like granny squares but they're really not! It's leaflet #3144- (30 Afghans).

*nods* I only really liked the Braided Miles and the Stained glass one. I got the Braided miles in another book.. Best of Red Heart Crocheted Afghans.. which meant only one pattern in the MaM book I liked. I dropped a _lot_ of my allowance on pattern books over the last month or so and it doesn't go over well when I buy something for a single solitary pattern. I'm hoping the stained glass will appear in another compendium type pattern book so I eventually get it. :hook

AJ you project is beautiful:clap I love the colors. My 10 yr.old GD loves purple, her birthday is in Feb. and it is her birthstone.

Thank you everyone!! I appreciate your kind comments so much!

Yup Julie, I made this one up on my own. Eventually once I work the kinks out of my pattern notes, I'll share! :)

Thanks again!

Archived