One last question for my classes

Thanks again for everyone's helpful suggestions!

I now have 2 classes under my belt and I definately feel like I need to increase the price. I actually stayed an extra hour this past week to help everyone and boy was I tired! I had 4 people which equaled $60 but man oh man, for 3 hours, it was a little taxing (esp after working all day before hand!)

I want to offer one more beginners class before going to the advanced beginners class and was thinking of increasing the time of the class from 2 to 2 1/2 hours and inc the amount from $15 to $20. Anyone think this is too low an amount or too high? I know from my previous thread most thought I was underselling myself. (P.S. The materials won't cost too much either. I think you could get everything for under $7 and then with the 10% student discount that's even better.)

I also am seriously thinking about teaching the mini easter egg pillow! I just worked one up and it's quite easy. The only tricky parts for a beginner is the leaf but I think as long as we worked on those in the class they'd be all set.

If I do decided to make this an advanced beginner class should I charge more and/or split it up into a 2 night class??

Thanks again all!!! I really want to do something "Eastery" as I'm thinking that maybe it'll get more people in!

• 3 months later...

Glad to hear you are teaching classes! It is such a rewarding experience. I teach at one of the local colleges for their enrichment programs. I get paid $25/hour. Generally, I run for 1 night/week for 4 weeks. Each class being anywhere from 3 to 4 hours in length.

During the first session of classes my students learn how to read the patterns, abbreviations for stitches, and the basic stitches. Projects that they complete: a potholder (all single crochet and how to put the two pcs together), a dishcloth (using half double crochet), a magic square potholder, and a no button towel topper.

I give them a supply list and it is up to them to get all of the required materials and have them on hand and ready for class. From experience advanced classes really don't tend to fill up as well as beginner classes do but I have had some success with them as well.

Good Luck and Hope this Helps!

Have A Great Week!

Midds

Where are you teaching the classes? I think $25-$35 for classes is VERY reasonable. If you are teaching in your home, and giving that much attention to students, then the upper range may be appropriate. That's just my opinion, but I always check the college NCC's and the local craft classes, and the prices I mentioned are becoming on the low side of the norm.

:hook

By the way...I greatly admire people who can teach crochet...I really do.

Archived