Suggestions Needed For Church Afghan (PICTURE ADDED)

Just wondering how this is going. Have you decided what you're going to do? It sounds like a great idea, that I might borrow, to buy the yarn, and charge a little for the hooks and yarn. Let us know how it goes, and post lots of pictures! :)

Victoria

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vickie!

Here is what I have decided on the colors:

~ Since this is my first time doing a project like this I'm restricting the colors to be used. This will hopefully prevent us from getting too much of one color and not enough of another or a variety of colors which really don't look well together. You may use either Red Heart Ecru or Navy. You may incorporate both colors or just one into your square. I'm hoping that I will get an even amount of both as I don't wish to restrict it to just one color.

I have made the information available to my congregation and have seen a bit of interest although not a lot but then I've not been a church much since the start of the project because my husband and I have been working church camp for 3 weeks. :eek;)

I will definitely post pictures as the project progresses. :)

Hi! I just wondered if you wanted some donations from us? This might help too, if the congregation sees some squares of different patterns, maybe even a complete ghan to get an idea of what they will be able to make when they put it together? I have a lot of ecru and navy, and I'd love to send a couple squares (probably just plain ones as they're fastest). If you don't think this would be helpful, I won't, but I'd love to help! :) I'm thinking of doing something like this myself, and I'd love to hear how it goes for you! :cheer

Vickie

Hi! I just wondered if you wanted some donations from us? This might help too, if the congregation sees some squares of different patterns, maybe even a complete ghan to get an idea of what they will be able to make when they put it together? I have a lot of ecru and navy, and I'd love to send a couple squares (probably just plain ones as they're fastest). If you don't think this would be helpful, I won't, but I'd love to help! :) I'm thinking of doing something like this myself, and I'd love to hear how it goes for you! :cheer

Vickie

Thanks so much for the sweet offer. I will definitely let you know if I need some help. Hopefully, my ladies will be able to provide enough. I'm beginning to hear some interest. One of the young women who I taught to crochet wants to do one but has never made a granny square so I've offered to help her. It will be a good time for us to get together and visit. :clap

How about Warm Hearts afghan or blanket of loving hearts. Michelle

I love those suggestions! I've already chosen the name "Heart of Family" but will refer back to this thread if this goes well and I decide to do another.

I have decided that I need to set a deadline for the squares to be turn in to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update...

Several ladies have shown interest in the afghan and want to make a square. Most though are just beginners and want help so I'm going to invite the ladies who wish to have some help to my home next Friday to coach them along.

Thanks to all those who gave me a link to 12 inch square patterns. I'll print out several of those to have available for them.

Does anybody have a suggestion of how many 12 inch squares I should use. I was thinking 20 - 4 X 5. But with the border, I'm afraid that may be too big. Any thoughts? :think

Hi there :)

This sounds like a great project, and that you are off to a great start. I am a member of a group whose members make squares for comfortghans, and we have a few specific assemblers that put them together.

Here are a few tips that I have learned from the group:

1) If you are going to end up making more than one or two squares, or if this becomes an ongoing project, it's easier to cut a 12"x12" square of corrugated cardboard to use as a measuring template than using a measuring tape every time

2) The flat braid joining method http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm is the most forgiving when dealing with variats in square sizes

Keep us updated on your progress :)

Daenna

:clap:manyheart

Barbara Jean,

How about three 12" squares x four 12" squares? I think that might be a nice size for a lapghan. Who knows....you might get enough squares to make a second or even a third lapghan.

That's true. And it would be nice to make two of them.

Hi there :)

This sounds like a great project, and that you are off to a great start. I am a member of a group whose members make squares for comfortghans, and we have a few specific assemblers that put them together.

Here are a few tips that I have learned from the group:

1) If you are going to end up making more than one or two squares, or if this becomes an ongoing project, it's easier to cut a 12"x12" square of corrugated cardboard to use as a measuring template than using a measuring tape every time

2) The flat braid joining method http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm is the most forgiving when dealing with variats in square sizes

Keep us updated on your progress :)

Daenna

:clap:manyheart

Thanks for the tips and I will definitely check out the braid joining method as I haven't yet decided how to join the squares.

• 2 weeks later...

I've invited anybody who would like to have some help with their square to my home tonight. I just have the feeling that nobody is going to show up though.

I'm really going to have to push them a little as I want to get all the squares together so I can see where I am with the whole project.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it isn't coming along at all. The date I chose to have ladies come to my home for help wasn't a good day. I believe that I'm going to need to just invite one or two of them at a time and get it going that way.

I will enjoy that anyway.

So thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I really appreciate it! :hug

BarbaraJean:

Sorry to hear about the turnout..

Could the ladies meet at the church after the service? That's what we did. I told them beforehand so they could pack a lunch. I also set out tea and cookies. Many folks mentioned that they found that they either had too many commitments to make an extra night out during the week or that they didn't go out at night.

I liked the other poster's comments in this thread when she said "give it to God". If the time is right, it'll happen. Hang in there...

Cheryl. :hook

Unfortunately, it isn't coming along at all. The date I chose to have ladies come to my home for help wasn't a good day.
Trust me, there will never be a good day :rolleyes

Here's what has worked for groups I've attended...give everyone a flyer with the specifics of the project (if you can include one pattern, great!) and a deadline. The deadline on the flyer needs to be about a month (two is better) before the real deadline. Of all the squares you'll be promised - count yourself lucky if you receive 20% of that number (seriously - people are well-intentioned but SO flaky).

IME, evenings don't seem to work for most people....especially older people. But you really shouldn't have to help people who already know how to crochet. I'm thinking that you don't want to go there....you'll be a volunteer crochet teacher, which is a whole different kind of stress. You just want to collect the completed squares, right?

Sorry to sound so negative. I just don't like seeing you pull your hair out over this. As long as you realize that you will be the one doing 90% of the work, you'll be fine :)

BarbaraJean:

Sorry to hear about the turnout..

Could the ladies meet at the church after the service? That's what we did. I told them beforehand so they could pack a lunch. I also set out tea and cookies. Many folks mentioned that they found that they either had too many commitments to make an extra night out during the week or that they didn't go out at night.

I liked the other poster's comments in this thread when she said "give it to God". If the time is right, it'll happen. Hang in there...

Cheryl. :hook

Hi Cheryl! I'll see if the ladies would find a Sunday afternoon to be better. And you're right... I need to let this happen in God's timing. If it isn't ready by Christmas then it's no big deal. Thanks, Cheryl!

Trust me, there will never be a good day :rolleyes

Here's what has worked for groups I've attended...give everyone a flyer with the specifics of the project (if you can include one pattern, great!) and a deadline. The deadline on the flyer needs to be about a month (two is better) before the real deadline. Of all the squares you'll be promised - count yourself lucky if you receive 20% of that number (seriously - people are well-intentioned but SO flaky).

IME, evenings don't seem to work for most people....especially older people. But you really shouldn't have to help people who already know how to crochet. I'm thinking that you don't want to go there....you'll be a volunteer crochet teacher, which is a whole different kind of stress. You just want to collect the completed squares, right?

Sorry to sound so negative. I just don't like seeing you pull your hair out over this. As long as you realize that you will be the one doing 90% of the work, you'll be fine :)

I don't think you sound negative at all - just realistic so thanks for the wisdom! I don't mind being a crochet teacher but for this project I don't have time to start from scratch with them. They need to have at least a beginner knowledge of crochet.

I think your project idea is a great one Barbara Jean..and although there are always discouraginbg moments, keep it going. Your doing a great service there. I don't have any advice, just wanted you to know I read all your info and everyones input, what a great group here!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Thank you, JoAnn! It's wonderful to meet you!

I have 2 ladies coming over today - an 18 year old and her mother. I've worked with both of them before and I know that they are both good. I think that they are just not confident in reading and following a pattern. So... I'm looking forward to an afternoon of crochet! :clap

Now for a question. I have one lady who doesn't seem to think that I'll be able to join these squares if we don't all use the same pattern. I really want to variety of different squares. This shouldn't be a problem as long as they are all 12 inch squares, right?

Now for a question. I have one lady who doesn't seem to think that I'll be able to join these squares if we don't all use the same pattern. I really want to variety of different squares. This shouldn't be a problem as long as they are all 12 inch squares, right?
Right. I belonged to a 6" square exchange years ago and I received a bunch of squares, no two of the same pattern. It was great! Had everyone's gauge been perfect, I wouldn't have even needed to do an edging around each one, I could have just whipstitched them together. For consistency's sake, I did do at least one round of sc edging around each one (some needed two rounds of sc edging).

I wouldn't argue with the lady who doesn't think it will work. Just so you know it will ;)

Sounds like you have the right attitude about this BarbaraJean....stay positive :D

Think of the process as ministry as well. it keeps the perspective fresh.

I absolutely agree!

Right. I belonged to a 6" square exchange years ago and I received a bunch of squares, no two of the same pattern. It was great! Had everyone's gauge been perfect, I wouldn't have even needed to do an edging around each one, I could have just whipstitched them together. For consistency's sake, I did do at least one round of sc edging around each one (some needed two rounds of sc edging).

I wouldn't argue with the lady who doesn't think it will work. Just so you know it will ;)

Sounds like you have the right attitude about this BarbaraJean....stay positive :D

Thank you! I need to hear that. I've asked everybody to be sure that the square is within a quarter of an inch of 12 inches.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived