This is really making me think.

I look on ebay a lot for crochet baby patterns. Some patterns go quite expensive but i've never seen one this expensive:(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CROCHET-PATTERN-DIVINE-CHRISTENING-SUIT-FOR-BABY-BOY_W0QQitemZ8270077227QQcategoryZ3095QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm really considering trying to do some of my own patterns as my crochet items don't even get half of this:huh

At 41 pounds that pattern is up to something like $70... The bidding (11 when I checked) seems to be prompted by a person with very little feedback, perhaps very little experience in eBay bidding thinking she has to 'stay ahead' all through the auction, thereby driving up the price. Another name appears to also be willing to shell out mucho dinero and I am putting this on watch just to see what it goes for!

I do a LOT of buying on eBay and I love getting patterns there. If you are planning to sell I'll tell you the things that I as a buyer look for (this is just me, of course - other people have different preferences.) I LIKE e-patterns on Buy it Now! I love being able to browse around, find a pattern I like, hit the Buy it Now and pay via Paypal, and often receive my pattern within a couple hours (as soon as the seller checks their auction status) and sometimes receive it instantly on payment! It is so nice to have it go from a picture "oh, look at that cute *****... I could make that for ****" and an hour later I'm digging out the yarn and curling up to make it - without ever getting out of my comfies!

If I buy a hard copy pattern I like if it's printed on cardstock or at least put into a 'page protector'... I feel that if I'm going to pay $7 for a pattern and $3 to ship I at least want something more than a folded up copy. I know it's the same thing, but somehow I feel better about it if it's on stiff paper and in a full-sized envelope... It then sits along with my other patterns and books in a professional way, as opposed to free patterns that I've just printed myself off the internet...

Well, good luck if you start selling and let us know your eBay link (if that's allowed on here (?) *don't want to break rules)

Holey Cow! :eek That is ridiculous for a pattern. Her presentation is so great, I believe that has a lot to do with this high bidding. That is one of those "real life" looking fake babies too, she has gone all out! What a bunch of money! I hope you can create something like that also, good luck! You go girl!:manyheart

Guest Catlizg

I'm wondering if the buyer didn't read very carefully and thinks they're buying the outfit and not the pattern for the outfit.

wowsers! Yes i deifnitely feel the display has a LOT to do with it.. and it is also kind of targetting the reborn audience.. whether directly or indirectly and that is a hot market right now..

I know one of my dresses in thread... an auction it went for over 50 bucks! (the pattern).

At 41 pounds that pattern is up to something like $70... The bidding (11 when I checked) seems to be prompted by a person with very little feedback, perhaps very little experience in eBay bidding thinking she has to 'stay ahead' all through the auction, thereby driving up the price. Another name appears to also be willing to shell out mucho dinero and I am putting this on watch just to see what it goes for!.....

Paulette's comments made me a little curious (nosey??!), and I looked at this person who won (7296cindy). She has 9 feedback scores but when you actually look at her feedbacks, she's bought around 30 patterns. Many of them are very similar, and two are exactly the same!

Check out these links:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3095&item=8264723736

bought from jellcl on 03/13 first bid on 03/12

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3095&item=8266848031

from lewiscarollfan won on 03/19/06, first bid on 03/18/06 (5 days after she won the other auction)

I wonder what is going on? (Or am I being too nosey??) Why would someone want that many similar patterns? The two that are identical are clearly marked as patterns (Celtic Crochet) and are the same picture even (of the same product).

Well, Cherish, I wish you much luck! Hopefully this cindy lady from the UK will find your patterns and bid on them! (Maybe she'll be finished crocheting the other outfits by then!)

I'm wondering if the buyer didn't read very carefully and thinks they're buying the outfit and not the pattern for the outfit.

I witnessed an auction a couple of years ago, where the bidder thought they were bidding on the finished item, but it was actually a pattern. The winning bid was for $52 for an afghan pattern, ouch!!!

Paulette's comments made me a little curious (nosey??!), and I looked at this person who won (7296cindy). She has 9 feedback scores but when you actually look at her feedbacks, she's bought around 30 patterns. Many of them are very similar, and two are exactly the same!

Check out these links:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3095&item=8264723736

bought from jellcl on 03/13 first bid on 03/12

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3095&item=8266848031

from lewiscarollfan won on 03/19/06, first bid on 03/18/06 (5 days after she won the other auction)

I wonder what is going on? (Or am I being too nosey??) Why would someone want that many similar patterns? The two that are identical are clearly marked as patterns (Celtic Crochet) and are the same picture even (of the same product).

Well, Cherish, I wish you much luck! Hopefully this cindy lady from the UK will find your patterns and bid on them! (Maybe she'll be finished crocheting the other outfits by then!)

Well I just noticed that this lady has bid on another pattern so far it's gone up to £31.00, I'm gonna have to be really quick to make a pattern before she disappears lol

Well I just noticed that this lady has bid on another pattern so far it's gone up to £31.00, I'm gonna have to be really quick to make a pattern before she disappears lol

... Or runs out of money! :(

Well I wrote to the seller:

Hello.. If I read the description correctly, you are selling the pattern right? Can you tell me how much the buyer paid? It says 41 with a symbol but how much is that in dollars?

Thanks,

Lorraine

And here is the response:

It seems that it is equal to $71.00 and the lady buys crochet patterns regularly. i am pleased to say that my new patterns go for a surprising amount when they are first introduced, and I have a lot more in the design stages.

Thank you for your interest.

Regards Karen.

So you designers start putting them up there so you can make some bucks because there are people willing to pay!

Archived