Crochet at the Craft and Quilt Fair Gold Coast.

I have just come back from the first ever Craft and Quilt Fair at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.

I spent all day there, (lol) and was soo excited as there were 2 crochet specific stands there. I know for you Northern Hemispheric crocheters you probably have greater access to things like this, but for us down under, such a thing is a real treat.

Any way I met Jenny King: http://www.jennykingdesigns.com/

What an amazing display of talent. I am going to make one of her hats which is listed on her free pattern page.

I also did a class with Prudence Mapstone and learnt how to do bullion stitch and freeform crochet. What an incredible lady! She autographed my book, and I cant stop bullioning! http://www.knotjustknitting.com/

I also bought a double ended crochet hook. I have no idea what you do with these, but I had never seen one before. :lol

I enjoyed the beads as well, and picked up a kit for a crochet bead on wire arm band. I havent had so much crafty fun in a good while and have added more projects to my ever growing list of things to do!

When I finish them I will post pictures. Thanks for listening to my babble.:manyheart

WOW!!!!! How exciting for you Cupcake. I am green with envy. It sure is unusual to see a crochet stand, there is usually a few knitting ones, but I have never seen a crochet one yet. Maybe it will come this way, knowing my luck it's probably already been. So nice to hear you had a good day.

Glad to hear you had a good time. Infact, it sounds like you had an awsome time.

No matter how many times you go to a craft fair, it is always great to meet one of the designers.

Can't wait to see pictures of the hat you are making. One of these days I am going to try felting again.:hook

I went to craft fairs at our convention center the last two years. Nothing. No classes, no crocheting. Almost all of the booths were people selling their homemade jewelry. Now I like jewelry as much as the next guy, but really!

Your fair sounded wonderful.

I also bought a double ended crochet hook. I have no idea what you do with these, but I had never seen one before. :lol

ooh, double ended hooks are fun. :) I just finished a doll blanket with one and I make lots of dishcloths. I also have pattern books for stuffed animals. I believe some of the books are Annie's Attic, but you can search for Crochet on the Double or Crochenit for patterns and such. It's a fun cross of knitting and crochet (picking up loops, working them off with crochet stitches).

I also got a book with 101 stitches for the double hook.

I have hooks and patterns for the bullion stitch, but just haven't sat down to do anything with it.

I also did a class with Prudence Mapstone and learnt how to do bullion stitch and freeform crochet. What an incredible lady! She autographed my book, and I cant stop bullioning! http://www.knotjustknitting.com/

Ooooh, just color me greeeen with envy. Her work is truly inspiring! I am on a yahoo group that she is on (or maybe even 'owns').

I'm just starting to work with FreeForm... it's lots of fun, and nothing is ever a mistake :)

Joan

Wow i wish i'd have known it was on i would have got a bus down to it myself. The double ended crochet hook is a piece of cake if youve done Tunisian before as if you turn your hook around and cast off in a different colour you will end up with reversible crochet fabric! Anyway if you want a book to teach yourself you can get 101 double ended crochet stitches through http://www.australiacrochet.com.au for a reasonable price ok. Other wise if your comming to Toowoomba anytime i can teach you.

Here is the bullion I learnt yesterday. I just love the texture. I got the book as a part of the workshop,

img70864we.jpg

Proof of signing cos I am a show off!

img70828kh.jpg

I learnt how to make these lovely little doo dads which are a bit like a shell:

img70842dp.jpg

and these: img70856zx.jpg

The round ones make great decorative embellisments or buttons. Prudence said the straight piece makes a great handle for bags. Her free form work was truly inspiring. To be honest I hadnt thought much of free form until yesterday. Such beautiful colours and textures. I am in awe of her talent, and she was such a lovely woman. So pleasant and so willing to share her knowledge.

Re the double ended hook, I had a fiddle last night, and will seek out some of the patterns you have all suggested. :D

I love your spiral bullions, cupcakegld! Great job. It sounds like you "caught the fever" with free form. Looking forward to seeing some of your projects! :hook

Hey there cupcake.

The show was in Melbourne at the start of March. I was going to go as I wanted to see Jenny King. Get Creative Magazine (Spotlight) listed her as being there and having a workshop. Guess what - she was not there. My step mother went on the Friday and checked it all out for me. So I called the co-ordinators to find out what was happening. Evidently she was only appearing at the one in Qld and in Sydney, so I was spewing big time.

That is annoying about the Melbourne show and Jenny King. Her workshop was quite expensive ala $150. What I didnt realise is that both Jenny and Prudence are from Queensland. Jenny is from Bli Bli up the Sunshine Coast, and Prudence is from Brisbane. Who would have thought such crochet legends would hale from the Sunshine State!

I stopped at Spotlight on the way home from work tonight and picked up some wool to do the felted hat on Jennies website. Boy I have so many projects on the hop, soo much to crochet, sooo little time.:D

Do you reckon I can work some bullions into my summer scarf for the swap ??mmmmm.:hook

• 3 months later...
WOW!!!!! How exciting for you Cupcake. I am green with envy. It sure is unusual to see a crochet stand, there is usually a few knitting ones, but I have never seen a crochet one yet. Maybe it will come this way, knowing my luck it's probably already been. So nice to hear you had a good day.

Hi Aussiecrocheter and Samio - the Craft Show is again in Melbourne this July - the 27th it begins and Jenny King is doing 2 classes - I'm thinking about taking the day off work and going to one - It's her crocheted / felted hat - I've wanted to try felting for a while and after researching her name am excited about meeting her as well.

I think we will have to organise a day out in Melbourne ladies. I am sure Aussie would travel up from down Traralgon way. We could organise somewhere to meet. Where is it this year - Jeffs Shed or Caufield Race Course

I

I'm not familiar with the other person you mentioned (I'll check her out) but I love Prudence Mapstone's work. You were very fortunate to take a class with her! And Crochetville is very fortunate because we will get to see all the beautiful projects you create after being inspired by her. We already love your work, so we better get busy and think up some new adjectives that we can use when complementing you!

Looking forward to your next post!

it sounds awesome...I have a double-ended hook that I bought on clearance at annies atttic but haven't used.shh don't tell my DH...now you make me want to get it out and try it now. Looking forward to your pictures.

Archived