Teaching Crochet to kids

My 11 year old son wants to learn how to crochet. In the past I've taught him how to make the foundation chain and he does very well with it. But he runs in to trouble with holding the yarn and going back and doing the single crochet. Can anyone offer any tips on teaching children how to crochet, and are there patterns easy enough for children to crochet? Plus I'd love to show my 12 year old daughter how to crochet but she's left handed any advice on teaching her?

Thank you!

the left hander is easy, sit her directly across from you and have her follow you like a mirror. and for the having trouble with the turning and sc, i am teaching 2 of my older neices right now and all i do to get them a birds eye view i have them set on my knee i reach around them and hold it right in front of them and show them then hold their hands and guide them until they get it right. they are picking it up pretty well! good luck to you and your teaching

I agree. I have taught most of my nieces and nephews as well as my own son. The best way to teach someone who is left handed is to sit facing each other. With trying to teach my son to turn, I sat him in our computer chair and watch him. That way if he needs help I can help him without him watching and having to process it through his mind. This has helped me in the past. Hope this helps.

Oh these are good tips! I'm not teaching kids and I'm far from advanced myself. But one of our wardroom wives wants to learn the basic stitches so she can understand patterns and asked me to help her out.

Archived