200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

Ooh, Jeannie, your squares are gorgeous!! I love your St Petersburg square! What great colors! Thank you so much for posting the pictures!

I say go for whatever squares float your boat, even if every square is a flower! I found that the flowers worked up the fastest. Maybe that's because I liked making them the best.

We figured out early on that there weren't 200 squares in the book. That's OK, though because I like the 128 enough! It was probably the publisher's idea!

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's #28 "Christmas Rose" although this one is "White Rose in Blue Sky". I think next time I do it, I'm gonna make the thin inside border, the off-white part, dc instead of sc. I might even finish off the rounds with dc.

th_28ChristmasRose2.jpg

(clickable)

Gotta block it; can't ever get 'em straight for pics and can't seem to end that very last end neatly! Image is clickable and you can see where it ends at the bottom center. Anyone know of a good method?

I also discovered that sometimes I mess up the stitch count at the corners. I tend to sometimes skip the stitch after doing all the corner stuff...gotta watch that closely!:eek

:manyheart:hug

And now, presenting........

No. 67

American Beauty in Orchid:

th_67AmericanBeautyinOrchid.jpg

(clickable)

I did the beg ch with size H hook then switched to I. I don't like the hole being so big. I had to tack down the 1st round of petals to the ring. The flower is RHSS Orchid, the pink is Bernat SV Soft Baby Pink, and the multi is RHSS monet. I needed an 8" sq and got that at Rnd 11; didn't work Rnd 12.

Flower looks a little wonky...didn't straighten it out very good. Guess I should retake the photo but you know, I just don't feel like it right now. I'm thinking about tacking the flower down, I don't know. And I don't know how many more I'm gonna make or if I'm gonna make any more. I probably will.

:cheer:clap:D They're fun to make and they go pretty quick, especially the ones worked in the ring. The back and forth ones, I don't know. I keep having to rip out the chain trying to get the right size.:angry:frog:2frog

I'm sorry I sound a little out of sorts and that's cause I'm tired right now. :yawn:sleep:out Gonna go rest, I think.

:manyheart:hug

Jeannie, you are knocking me over with those pretty squares! Don't worry about wonkiness; it tends to straighten out when joined to the other squares. As for blocking, if it's acrylic yarn, it won't block. Also, I'm a blocking ignoramus, having never done it.

Anyway, having said all that, your squares look pretty square to me!

I know what you mean about watching the stitches on those corners.

Thanks for sharing!

OK, Twinnish herded me over here after I was expounding on the joys of drooling over 200 Crochet Blocks in another thread. I want to design an afghan for my mother's Victorian-era house, but the problem is that I'm SO not a designer. She's not into granny squares or geometrics in particular. The walls of the bedroom I'm making this for are vivid true green. I was thinking of maybe some shades of coral or peach, or maybe a golden yellow.

I know that she prefers lacy designs, plus this would probably go well in her house, so I'm thinking possibly a combination of squares 14 (Alhambra), 47 (Queen Anne's Lace), and/or 92 (Victorian Lace). For you designers out there, would you stick to lacy-only, or would throw in a few flowers for kicks and giggles? Any ideas would be welcome as I don't have one artistic or creative bone in my body.

Hi cdg, how's your arm doing? :D

It's easy to be a designer, just pick out some squares you like, and put them in a pattern, or not!!!! Some clever folks take graph paper and sketch out the squares with colored pencils. I've seen people take pictures of squares with their digital cameras and use a program like Photoshop to make a "preview" of an afghan with the pictures.

There are lots of things you can do. You could do a center triangle of a lacy square in the same color, then surround it with flower squares, all the same, or alternating or all different, then surround those with another type of square with the same color as the center, or a different color. Once you get thinking about it, it's easier to come up with ideas. Look through the threads here and you'll see some really neat things people have done with their squares.

Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to the CAL!!!! :hug

• 3 weeks later...

Hi blackpurl!

It is indeed the book we are using! Welcome to the CAL! We'd love to see a picture of your square if you can possibly arrange it. Do you have plans for your squares? Thanks for joining us!

I haven't posted in a bit, but I'm happy to report that I made a 200 Blocks block recently. It was made for a comfortghan here at the 'Ville. I didn't take a picture of it, but you can see it in this thread: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51440&page=5

It's the pink and purple variegated with the flower in the bottom row. It's the Peony square, with extra petals and rows, to make it 12 inches. Now I wish I had taken a pic. I was in too much of a rush to get it out the door. Ah well!

Here is my first square. I just made it yesterday. I was planning to just go through the book and make each block at least once. Now I am going to sit down with some graph paper and figure out an afghan!

P1190240.jpg

Your square is very nice and colorful, not to mention square! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your squares. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome blackpurl and your square looks great.

I finished my afghans but still need to weave in the ends. I was thinking of making some washcloths with some of the designs.

Hi Samantha!

I'm glad to hear that you're finished with the 'ghan. You have my deepest sympathies on the weaving in of loose ends to be done. Ugh! I've gotten better at doing it as I go along, but only slightly better. Slightly.

Hmm, 200 Blocks in dishcloth cotton, now there's an idea! I love dishcloths, I'll have to try that!

blackpurl, making a sketch is an excellent idea. We've had a few CAL participants who have done that.

black pearl i`m still working on this so you are not alone

but my work only on mondays as you can see in my sign.

clare

the dish cloths are made of cotton yarn??

Yes, indeedy, traditionally dishcloths are made from cotton yarn.

For example:

http://www.sugarncream.com/product.php?LGC=sugarncream

My personal fave:

http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=handicraftercotton

I love using cotton. Aw, now I have a hankerin'!

...I haven't posted in a bit, but I'm happy to report that I made a 200 Blocks block recently. It was made for a comfortghan here at the 'Ville. I didn't take a picture of it, but you can see it in this thread: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51440&page=5

This link didn't take me to the picture but the one below does!

It's the pink and purple variegated with the flower in the bottom row. It's the Peony square, with extra petals and rows, to make it 12 inches. Now I wish I had taken a pic. I was in too much of a rush to get it out the door. Ah well!
I didn't get mine photographed either but I asked Dawn if she'd take one for me...hope she can! But it's not a square from the book.

Anyway, yours is the 4th one from the left on the bottom row, right? It is lovely! and it's located right here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=776877&postcount=59

:fluffy:manyheart:hug

So far I have 4 squares that are #1 in the book and 2 completed that are #19. I need to recharge my camera battery so I can take pictures!

Hi Jeannie! Mine is actually the middle one in the second row from the top! Looks like the original picture link is broken in that link I posted. That pic had only six or seven squares in it. Thanks for posting the other one. I'm looking forward to seeing your square, even if it isn't from the book.

Hi blackpurl! Whenever you can post your pictures, I'll be here, drooling! :D

here are the squares that are #19 from the book. They are very easy to make and I have the pattern memorized now! I had to use a 6mm hook (size J) because my squares needed to be 7 1/2 inches in diameter.

this is #19

P1190249.jpg

this is #1

P1190240.jpg

I love it when I've finally memorized a pattern and things can zip along. Your squares are great! I love the colors. Thanks for sharing!

Archived