200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

Hi Tina!

Welcome to the CAL! Isn't it a great book? There are so many beautiful squares in there. I find her design suggestions helpful, too.

I borrowed my nine year old son's colored pencils and started sketching squares with different colors last night. I worked with yellow, gold, a maroonish red, orange and sky blue. The warm tones looked good, but the blue just seemed too garish. Then I grabbed a bunch of dark blues and violets on a whim and they looked good, although not "Sunflowers" related.

I think I'm going to go up to the library today and see if I can get a book on Van Gogh with Sunflowers in it. The book may have truer colors than my mug! but I do like the way they look on the mug.

Also, I perused the book and wrote down the numbers of a few squares I like. Then I sketched out a possible configuration for them. It's too early for me to worry about things like square size and final product size. This is the brainstorming phase!

Ok, I'm rambling. It's the cold medication talking! :D Maybe I'll swing by a few places to check out yarn colors, too!

How goes the thought process for everyone else?

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JimmiLu: I've bought the book in Spanish when I went on holidays here in Argentina. I've found it in a very small bookstore, the book was expensive because it's made in Spain -imported to Argentina- but I couldn't stop myself... I've never seen it again at big bookstores in Buenos Aires city. Maybe you can look for it surfing the web. :)

I would like to join in!! I don't know what I'm going to make since I haven't thought it out at all. I really should be working on the 10 other projects I have yarn for, but have not yet started...or the drunkard's path afghan that I just have to finish the last 20 squares and connect. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...I have the book and this sounds fun!!! I'll flip through and see what I can come up with :-)

Hi insurechick!

Welcome aboard! Part of the fun and challenge of this CAL is the prospect of creating your own crochet piece, be it afghan, tote, pot holder, you name it!

I'd like to see that drunkard's path afghan. I've never heard of it! Thanks for joining us!

The drunkard's path is from lion brand's quilt afghans booklet. It's an "easy" pattern and it really is if you're not neurotic and paranoid like I was when the squares were coming out squatty because you crochet it from a corner across. Anyway, it should take no time to finish, but I think I'm just sick of the pattern at this point :-). I'm sure when I finish it, I will love it, I had been wanting to make it for quite a while.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm looking forward to it. I just finished my first shawl for the stole/shawl swap, so I'm on a crochet high :-)

Good Morning Everyone!

Vik... I love the orange and white you are using. That is going to be super pretty.

Glad to see so many of you coming along. Mine is going to be just traditional Grannies with an interesting lacey joining method from a Leisure Arts little book called Granny's Delight Afghans (thanks pal ;) ). It is illustrated in this book as "Granny's Delight"...

I using Caron SS in Bone, Grey Heather, Pink and will join with Black. We'll call this the Brach's Candy Afghan because the colors are like a favorite Brach's candy... Julie knows what I'm talking about hee hee :lol :lol :lol

I've got 7 out of 70 squares done and with all the ends to weave in, I can tell this is going to take me a bit to get done. I gotta get a move on... it needs to be ready to go to Florida with my friend in roughly a month! :flying :flying :flying

Ooh, I've been wanting this book (it's even on my wish list!). I'll have to wait a while before I can go buy it: I went to the dentist yesterday, and he has to replace one of my old fillings right away (I've had it 32 years, since I was an infant :lol ). I don't have dental insurance, so it's out of pocket (not too bad, but between that and my tax bill, I'll have to hold back on book buying).

Still, I have looked it over, and it's a gorgeous book! I can't wait to see what folks come up with.

Oh good grief, I have no willpower at all! :lol I know that I shouldn't dive into a CAL right now -- too many possible complications upcoming in my personal life, too many people I may be needing lotsa time for... but... but... I fell in love with this book from the library recently, and my hubby *just* found a used copy and bought it for me. That's a sign, right? A message from the heavens that I'm meant to join this CAL?

:think

I thought so, too!

:D

Not sure exactly what I'll choose to do. I'm leaning toward working on squares to be sent to Pine Ridge or some other charitable use, as well as possibly making myself some sort of bag from squares. Will have to see where my fancy takes me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Lene'

Lene', Welcome!!!

Anything related to the book is fine! It doesn't have to be an afghan! I'm still in the brainstorming process. If you just want to make squares to send to Pine Ridge, that's great!

:clap :clap :clap :clap

Hooray! Lene, glad you're jumping in. Renegade, you know you'll be in here so why not just admit it (hee hee)... I have a feeling this is gonna be a big gab fest so just jump in and get going. Even if you just make some plain ole grannies!

Oh, good! That's kinda what I was joining this for, too. Although I want to make a whole afghan, too (for someone at Pine Ridge, of course... :P ). And maybe one for me, too.

I am thinking about the 'Fretwork' scheme- square #197, on page 108, for an afghan. There are so many squares I love, though. I might just have to make them all. :hook

Tina

Lene', Welcome!!!

Anything related to the book is fine! It doesn't have to be an afghan! I'm still in the brainstorming process. If you just want to make squares to send to Pine Ridge, that's great!

Okay, we're all just gonna pretend that I did a lot of productive work around the house before sitting back down at the computer, right? You guys are my alibi! (Although in my own defense, I did get the polenta made and cooling, and there's a nice big batch of homemade spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove, so it isn't like I did *nothing* useful today. :lol )

I'm considering making some squares using tale ends of wool yarn I have on hand, stitching them together as a bag, and then felting them. Have any of you tried that? Or seen it done? I can't recall seeing afghan squares felted/fulled before, but surely it's been done successfully by someone out there. And if not, I may end up with a very funky mistake. (Oooh, that sounds like a nickname for myself. I may keep that.)

Lene'

Okay, we're all just gonna pretend that I did a lot of productive work around the house before sitting back down at the computer, right? You guys are my alibi! (Although in my own defense, I did get the polenta made and cooling, and there's a nice big batch of homemade spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove, so it isn't like I did *nothing* useful today. :lol )

OK, Lene... the polenta sounds awesome. I love polenta! So you did your work for today...:hook

I'm considering making some squares using tale ends of wool yarn I have on hand, stitching them together as a bag, and then felting them. Have any of you tried that? Or seen it done? I can't recall seeing afghan squares felted/fulled before, but surely it's been done successfully by someone out there. And if not, I may end up with a very funky mistake. (Oooh, that sounds like a nickname for myself. I may keep that.)

Lene'

I think this sounds like an awesome idea! I've felted patterned crochet before. Never squares, but I'll bet the effect would be really cool. Can't wait to see it. I would use high contrast colors though, cause if the color changes are too subtle, the effect will be diminished when you do the felting. I should post a pic of a bag I have in progress so you can see what I mean. I'll get right on that-NOT! Actually, when I get home, I'll try to remember to snap some post felting pics since I already have the pre-felting ones done. I'll post them here for you!

Cheers!

Tina! Glad to hear you want to yack! The Fretwork square is one of my faves. Actually, I have a lot of faves in this book! :lol :lol

Well since I need to start my Project Linus blanket for the month of April I think I'll use some of the squares from this book for it. I think that's a splendid idea, don't you? A little bitty baby blanket all made up of different squares, sounds like fun to me! :D

Of course since the book suggests an "F" hook for the squares I mostly likely will be using a "P." Relax, April, relax ...

Well...this sounds like fun, but I will just watch for now. I may join you all later after I finish up some UFO's! Geesh, the temptation....:wink Too many projects...too little time!

:bounce:eek:oops Ok, maybe I shouldn't bounce too hard till the staples are out of my tummy, but I actually have this book, and was trying to work out an afghan of random squares in various colors of wool. Maybe once I see if I can get a few of them the same size :shrug I'll get a pattern or two I can get consistantly the same and do it all in that pattern but different colors of wool.

Wow, this thread is really cooking now!

April, welcome to the CAL! I think that is a splendid idea for your Project Linus blanket! I always have to go down sizes in hooks, but I'm the tensest person I know, so go figure...

Lene' it should be interesting to see how the squares will felt. What a great idea!

losingmymind2, so does this mean you're in? I hope so!

OK, Crochetfanatic, you know you want to! Just do one square! Make it for a charity! Pick your favorite and make it! You can squeeze it in!

All right.....all right. You got me. How can I resist doing more squares for charity, right? I guess I could squeeze this CAL in somewhere.:heehee Of course, my fear is that I will love the book so much, I will have to do a whole afghan next! We shall see!

Theresa

:clap :clap :clap :clap

Hooray! Lene, glad you're jumping in. Renegade, you know you'll be in here so why not just admit it (hee hee)... I have a feeling this is gonna be a big gab fest so just jump in and get going. Even if you just make some plain ole grannies!

------------

HAHAHA. That's true. You all know me too well.

I haven't done much crochet lately (we've had cold weather, and it makes me want to hibernate), and I've mostly been working on the stole for the stole swap.

But at some point, I'll be getting this book for sure, and of course I can always check in to see what everyone else is doing.

And in the just to share category: my diabetic cat, Sam, hasn't had an insulin shot in 51+ hours. What does that mean? It means his pancreas has sputtered back to life and is producing its own insulin. May be temporary, one of those take it one day at a time things, but very excellent news for my kitty.

Now, back to your regular 200 blocks progamming.

Well since I need to start my Project Linus blanket for the month of April I think I'll use some of the squares from this book for it. I think that's a splendid idea, don't you? A little bitty baby blanket all made up of different squares, sounds like fun to me! :D

Of course since the book suggests an "F" hook for the squares I mostly likely will be using a "P." Relax, April, relax ...

-----------

Wow, that's some tight stitching (I always have to use a hook one size smaller, because my stitches run loose)! I do think a baby blanket made up of lots of blocks will be cyoot!

Hi,

I have the book and I just love it. I Love it so much that I've been crocheting suqares with no pattern in mind. So now I have 8 squares to share with whoever wants to.

you can see them here

If anyone is intersted in sharing those squares or have squares that can match mine, let me know :)

OH WOW another CAL:clap:clap Oh i have so much to finnish I must be crazy to join in on another one!!! But I do love making the squares!!

Now the sad news: I do not own this book So I am off to see if I can find it and buy it:lol

once I get it I will jump in here with everyone in the mean time I will be watching to see how everyone is longing along with it:)

This book, imho, is worth the money it costs. But try to buy it online, maybe you'll find a used copy for less. I love making squares too! It's so creative, fast and rewarding!! ;-)

Archived