How do you count rows?

I usually put a stitch marker, or tie a contrasting piece of yarn every "so many" (usually 5 or 10) rows. That way when you're very far along you don't have to count up a whole lot to find your place.

Katie:cat

On smaller projects, I use the pen and paper method also. There are little scraps of number-filled paper all around my house. :blush

For larger projects, like afghans, I've got a clicker thingie that I found in my LYS. It's extremly handy and I really like doing the "click" at the end of a row! You can see one here.

I have always used a grocery counter. They are made of plastic and have about for places. I use the last two, but on something larger use as many as you need. Just keep out of the reach of children! They love to click it and screw your count up. Also good when you have two directions going on at the same time, such as decrease at neck edge and shaping shoulders at the same time.

I have a notebook I use for keeping track. First I write out all rows and note any increases/decreases needed and check 'em off as I go. I also note down any modifications so if I make the pattern again I know what I did.

I take a pice of scrap yarn, and put it though a standard knitting row counter, then I tie a knot it the scrap yarn, and put a safty pin though the loop of yarn (this way the counter is hanging from the safty pin.) then I pin the saftey pin on the project someplace out of the way. (Moveing it every so often so that it is easy to find, and so that a big hold doesn't develop). This way I can use the cheeper on needle knitting row counters and my counter doesn't get mixed up with another project ( I ususally keep at least 4 to 8 WIPs at all times. )

Those are great tips! I'm going to try using a marker of some kind while I make my afghan to keep me on track. And I have a perfect notebook that I've been saving until I found a use for that would be great to keep track of rows and my progress.

Thanks!

1....2....3....4....5....6....etc

:rofl On a more serious note, I count them by adding a numbered stitch marker every 5th row. For example, row 5 would have a stitch marker with the number 5 on it, row 25 would have stitch marker #25, etc. I made the stitch markers myself with number beads for this purpose. I have numbered stitch markers up to 100 and only in denominations of 5 (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc. up to 100) There aren't many things that would require over 100 rows except possible a scarf and if it comes a time when I'll need higher numbers, I'll just make more.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived