Tactfull ways of explaining why not to share supplies at crochet classes

I was just thinking about school supply lists, and that how on that list they just put a note saying that they know what works and what doesn't and not to buy the cheap, no name brand products, and that name brand ones work better. (worded more politely than i have here, but that's the gist of it)I agree with making the list of hints and tips....sort of an just FYI, or FAQ.

I can tell you that a 2-hour class at Jo-Ann's is $20, a 3 hour class is $25 ($30 wasn't working), and a 4 hour class is $40.

I think Michael's charges half that, though, so for teaching a class in a retail craft store, you're not far off. Right in the middle. :D

Another helpful tip might be to have a "felted" acrylic yarn swatch as a sample to show what it would look like after the felting process. A lot of people learn by visuals, and if they see a swatch of 100% wool felted and the Red Heart equivalnt with equal stitches, they'd see first hand the results they'd end up with. Just my opinion, some people have to be shown what they'd get. It'd also be an interesting teaching tool.

O know this is a bit off topic but How did you get to be an instructor at a craft store?

I am just nosey I guess!

When Hobby Lobby opened I went in right away and talked to the manager and asked him if he had a crochet instructor. He told me no and then I asked if I could do it. He said "Sure" and gave me all the details!

Just go into your local craft store and see if they need one. If not, maybe keep an eye on their class schedule and keep in touch with the manager. That way if they have an instructor who leaves they'll know you are interested.

I'm thinking about talking to the Rag Shop about teaching there as well. Now wouldn't work as I already work 6 days a week plus have the crochet classes at hobby lobby but maybe once I don't have to work full time anymore I'll be able to do both!

I was offered the chance to teach at Hobby Lobby..Do you have a steady flow of students? I would love to do it but am not sure I would have very many students :blush How long have you been teaching?

Well, so far I've only got one class under my belt. Class #2 is this Saturday. My first class had 5 people in it (which was plenty large enough for beginners) and this week I only know of 3 that are coming. Then again, when I went into HL last night to get my list my whole easel with my ad was gone. I guess all the easels kept blowing over as they were put by the doors so what does management do? They take them all down and throw them in the back by the classroom. I thought they were "up" by the classroom but they were actually "all taken down in a pile". No wonder I only got 3 people that I know of. And my sign up sheet was gone. Nobody knows where it went.

I don't get it as there is a ton of space right where you walk in and they could easily put all our easels there. If people don't see that a class is being offered how in the world can they sign up?

I talked with the manager of the needlework dept last night about it and she was shocked. She said she'd talk to the manager about it today.

My advice is to make sure the bulletin board you put up has full colored pics of what you will be making and as much info as possible.

Have fun!

P.S. Give a couple of classes a try. You'll never know what kind of response you'll get if you don't try for it. Each store is different. IMO you don't want any more than 6 for a beginner class as trying to literally run from person to person to help them takes a lot of time and for that person to want to take another class you have to make it worth their while. I mean, just teaching my class how to make a slip knot took at least 15 minutes. This kind of class really needs personal attention so I would not try to cram as many people as you can into each class. But that's just my opinion!

One more question for you..how did you pick the project they worked on? Thank you for all your help with my questions:hug

Well I wanted to do something fun and hip and totally opposite of what Michaels does. They ALWAYS teach how to make granny sqaures. Ummm, who really wants to learn how to make one of those? (When I worked there the crochet classes were empty and very rarely did anyone ever take one. I'm convinced it's due to the subject matter of what to learn to make.)

I taught how to make a felted cell phone cozy. This taught them the basic stitches and working around and around. I explained the process to everyone and gave them full written instructions. Everyone was excited about it.

Look and see what an "easy" project would be that is small enough for a beginner to finish. They probably won't finish it before the class is over, but if they get a good enough start and are making progress they'll feel like they got their money's worth and will continue on with crocheting.

If you'd like my pattern for my cozy let me know.

Good luck to you! :hook

Another helpful tip might be to have a "felted" acrylic yarn swatch as a sample to show what it would look like after the felting process. A lot of people learn by visuals, and if they see a swatch of 100% wool felted and the Red Heart equivalnt with equal stitches, they'd see first hand the results they'd end up with. Just my opinion, some people have to be shown what they'd get. It'd also be an interesting teaching tool.

This is an excellent idea. I have taught many classes over the years and most people benefit from a visual example.

Donna, I get the impression that underlying some of your anxiety about this is not wanting to scare away the people that can't afford to buy the right supplies... I've been there. But, the truth is, all hobbies and crafts cost money. If they can afford to pay to learn, they can afford to buy the right supplies. Truth be told, many of us taught ourselves because we either couldn't afford or didn't have access to a class. So, these folks should just anty up and do it right.

Another thought I had is that doing a felted item in a beginners class may not be appropriate. Most of us "cut our teeth" on acrylic projects that were not expensive to make and could be completed quickly. Dishcloths, potholders and afghan squares are a great way to teach beginning stitches and allow the student to get their feet wet with less outlying expense. IMHO, a felted project - while not complicated - does incorporate a bit more expense and commitment on the part of the student.

I'll bet you are a great teacher!

Hugs, Mare :hug

Thank you..I have never felted before..hmm now you have me thinking..time for more yarn:hook

I am amazed at the beautiful projects you complete AND you work 6 days a week. Do you ever sleep? You are very talented!

Gee thanks... :P I'm very lucky in the fact that I work alone in an office where most of the time it's quite quiet. Even though it's 6 days a week and I have a 45min-1hour commute to and from everyday, it does help that I can crochet here when there are no customers and my work is done.

Give felting a try! It is soooo much fun and really quite easy to do! Just be sure whatever you use can be found at Hobby Lobby.

Oh and be sure to get in touch with the needlepoint dept manager. They ran out of hooks and everything for my first class so now I speak with her and let her know what supplies students will need to insure they have enough!

OK, Donna, so now I read to the post where you explained why you chose the project you chose and your reasoning is really good! I just want to add one more thing here...

Depending on what you are teaching, set a reasonable max for your class (as you did) but also set a minimum. For instance, in some of the beading and quilting classes I've taught, I set a minimum of 5 students. These classes were one night a week, 2 hour sessions, for a series of x number of weeks. The goal was to complete the project so the class ran the length of time it would take the average student to finish. My charge for classes in this type venue was $5/hour per student ($2/hour per student would go to the shop). In retrospect, I would insist on a larger split for me as the shop was also getting supplies revenues.

OK, Donna, so now I read to the post where you explained why you chose the project you chose and your reasoning is really good! I just want to add one more thing here...

Depending on what you are teaching, set a reasonable max for your class (as you did) but also set a minimum. For instance, in some of the beading and quilting classes I've taught, I set a minimum of 5 students. These classes were one night a week, 2 hour sessions, for a series of x number of weeks. The goal was to complete the project so the class ran the length of time it would take the average student to finish. My charge for classes in this type venue was $5/hour per student ($2/hour per student would go to the shop). In retrospect, I would insist on a larger split for me as the shop was also getting supplies revenues.

Thanks a bunch! You raised some good questions and ideas there.

When I worked at Michaels they had a standing policy that a minimum number of students had to be there or they would reschedule the class. (The crochet and knitting classes were the only ones that didn't have a min) The more popular classes like One Stroke and Bob Ross always filled up quickly so everyone had to pre-pay in order to reserve their spots.

I am going to teach another beginners class next month along with an advanced beginners class that will be held over a 2 week period. I'm thinking since Easter is just around the corner to teach some Easter things in the new beginners class. I really like those cute little pillows that a fellow crochetviller created (the bunny and egg). I think the bunny may be a little advanced for beginners but I'm thinking the egg would be easy enough. I'm finishing up the advanced beginner project right now (short sleeved duster/jacket) and will work on the Egg Pillow and see if it's something a beginner can grasp. Since that pattern doesn't require any shaping as you crochet, just inc and decs I'm thinking it'll work.

I definately think I am charging too low as others have stated but I don't want to charge too much either. I know Michaels only charges $15 to learn how to crochet or knit but then again, their classes are not exciting and nobody really takes them so maybe I'll raise it to $20 and see if it flies.

Please give all the suggestions you can! They really make me stop and think from someone elses point of view instead of my own all the time! Likewise, if anyone else has questions, I'm more than happy to give input on what I've learned so far!

Now to work on sign up sheets and such!

So when I got to my first crochet class earlier this month several people thought it would be ok to share their hooks and yarn. UGH! Believe it or not, there is a misconception to newbies that you are supposed to unravel all your yarn and wind it into a ball before starting a project. When I got to my first class 2 of the 3 people were already about 1/2 way done with rolling their yarns into balls. (Umm, these are all pull skeins they were using).

I roared when I read this...my sister did the SAME thing. For Christmas, I bought her a set of hooks, a skein of Red Heart, a "How-To" pamphlet, and a tote bag to carry it all in--with the promise to show her how to use it all. When we sat down later, she proudly whipped the Red Heart out of the bag, wound into a ball! And this was the Super Saver one! You should have seen the size of the ball...I still laugh, remembering it...

For the advanced beginner class it will also be 2 hours but 2 sessions as well so a total of 4 hours. I know I charged low on my intro classes but I don't want to charge too high on the next ones. I've been googling crochet classes and have seen beginner classes at upwards of $45 for an hour! I'm thinking $40-$45 for the advanced beginner class? I guess we'll see what kind of response I get.

$45??!!?? I missed my calling. Think I'll call my local craft store and offer my services.

I don't get it as there is a ton of space right where you walk in and they could easily put all our easels there. If people don't see that a class is being offered how in the world can they sign up?

I talked with the manager of the needlework dept last night about it and she was shocked. She said she'd talk to the manager about it today.

My advice is to make sure the bulletin board you put up has full colored pics of what you will be making and as much info as possible.

I'd ask for a place to display the project and the announcent up front. In one Hobby Lobby store here, they have a display case near the entrance for the classes. Another stores hangs them on the wall behind the shopping carts. High enough so people can't take the items, but low enough so the signs can still be read. Both tell you to talk to a sales associatate or the manager for class sign up.

• 2 weeks later...

How about Having a "kit" for them. Yes it would increase the price of the class but by how much? Obviously you aren't going to do a large project when they are learning. so how about including a hook, yarn, pattern, and small canvas bag (all from hobby lobby) with the class and talk to the store about prices they would give you for these items for your class. That way you would get 100% of the profit cause all supplies came from there and no worries about sharing items and everyone has a keeper for their thing. The supplies could be the same colors or different ( I would worry about someone not being happy cause they didn't get the "color they wanted" with different though) You can make the item in advance and have it in your flyer about the class telling them what they are making and such. HTH. Nikki

I would go with projects that use inexpensive supplies like acrylic yarns. Definetly one skein projects as well. Most newbies don't know if they will like crochet (or be able to learn it) so even if they have the money, they may not want to pay $6 for 100% wool when they see skeins that are .99 ---they do not grasp the concept that the fiber is different even if you tell them the differences. Yarn is yarn to a beginner. I would reserve a felted item for an advanced beginner class or an intermediate class. There are plenty of cool things to make with plain old acrylic. Including a nice cell cozy. Since people are trying to share supplies, your "student base" is mostly made up of people that either do not have much money or they do not want to spend on a project they are not sure won't end up catching dust bunnies in their closet lol

Good Luck with your next class, I hope they get that sign up sheet out there so you can get more people for your next class!

Archived