Tactfull ways of explaining why not to share supplies at crochet classes

So when I got to my first crochet class earlier this month several people thought it would be ok to share their hooks and yarn. UGH! Believe it or not, there is a misconception to newbies that you are supposed to unravel all your yarn and wind it into a ball before starting a project. When I got to my first class 2 of the 3 people were already about 1/2 way done with rolling their yarns into balls. (Umm, these are all pull skeins they were using)

Anyway, sure enough, I have already had 2 people ask me if it was ok to share their materials. They also told me they didn't need to buy the Lion Brand Wool Yarn as they already had some other wool/acrylic yarns at home.

Ok, first of all we all know if you don't use 100% wool you won't get good felting results. Secondly I think we all know it's not possible to share a crochet hook and a skein of yarn.

How in the world can I tactfully alert those in my class that they really need to purchase the supplies I have listed?

Also, one thing I have to keep in mind is that Hobby Lobby gives me 100% of the tuition IF the students purchase their supplies there. It isn't good business for them if the students all come in with supplies purchased from Wal-Mart.

Suggestions? Advice on how to address this issue? THANKS!

Donna - I would make a list of Helpful Hints for Crocheters listing what would happen if you dont use the right materials for certain projects. You should write down each hint along with the reason as to why they shouldnt do it.

Just like you stated

Don't use 100% wool - you won't get good felting results.

Certain yarns need to be used in order to get the best results for the project you are completing

I think if people understand the ramifications of improvising, they will learn and understand

Good luck

All you can really do is offer as much information as possible, and pray they read it and follow it. Some people simply WILL NOT read. It's extremely frustrating! And what makes it worse is, THEY are the ones that lose out by it, not you.

Be sure your list says -- maybe even in ALL CAPS -- that 100% wool MUST be used, and blends will simply not work. They may still ignore it, but you put it there, so it's their own problem if they can't read.

In addition to teaching crochet for a few years at my store, I have also been the education coordinator at my store for five years now (almost 6). Half my existence there is composing supply lists, making sure all the relevant information is shared, and even adding extra information to make it crystal clear... yet time after time, people simply DON'T read it, and bring whatever they want. It's maddening!

Rest assured, you are not alone. :D

That is really frustrating! I just took a refresher class about a month ago, and while the instructor was great, the supply list was vague and gave no indication of what we'd be doing (ie, "bring a pattern IF you're working on a project". Well I wasn't working on a project, so I didn't bring a pattern, then at the class she wanted us to work from a pattern. Why not just say "Bring a pattern"??).

A very clear supply list is helpful, but be prepared that there will always be people who don't pay attention. If they still bring the wrong yarn, they can still learn the basics, but tell them that they won't have proper results. Another thing about beginners is they don't want to buy new stuff if they have stuff they can practice on at home. But if they take your class and love it, they'll be motivated to go out and get all the proper materials.

Also, is it possible that your store could offer a 5% discount or something to students who buy their supplies at that store? Its not a big discount, but people like to think they're saving money.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I always make sure to alert my students ahead of time that Hobby Lobby usually has 40% off one item coupons. Also, if you are buying supplies for a class to be held there, they will give you 10% off them.

Honestly, what gets me is that so far most of my students and prospects don't want to shell out $6 for a skein of wool yarn. They really think that they can use Red Heart from Wal-Mart and are shocked when I tell them it won't work for what we are making.

When I took the Bob Ross class at Michaels you could either buy the Bob Ross supplies or use the teachers with an extra $10 cost. I had no problem paying the extra $10 as I wasn't going to shell out over $100 for the starter kit if this was something I didn't like and wouldn't do again. It's amazing how many people really don't want to spend any money.

Suebee, I think I will take some of your ideas and use them as well. For my advanced beginner classes I'll make sure the supply lists are very detailed (even though the ones for these classes were spelled out pretty plainly!) and explain in CAPS that in order to achieve the desired results you must use what is listed.

This is all a learn as you go thing for me. I learned so much from my first class and I'm sure I'll keep learning.

I also think I need to find a way to explain in their materials list that they need to pay me in cash. Almost all the students in my first class paid by check. The only problem with that is if for some reason the check doesn't clear I'm going to have to pay a fee for it to be returned then have to holler at someone to pay me. Or I could drive all over town to each bank and cash them. I will accept checks again this class but the next one I'll make clear that cash only. I am not going to risk having to pay for someone to take my class for their mistakes. Banks charge so much nowadays for returned check fees it just isn't worth the risk.

Arghh! So much to think about!

I think if you very clearly explain that acrylics don't felt ~ that 100% wool must be used ~ you will be helping them a lot. People who are just learning probably don't know a great deal about yarn and its properties, so actually explaining why this is necessary (i.e., it is not some plot to make them buy more expensive yarn!) will hopefully help.

I have to say, I can understand your students' reluctance to purchase more expensive items on the list (though I understand how frustrating this is for you, too!). When I took a Knit I class at Joann's it was required that you purchase the LionBrand Knit kit. Which was $23 dollars for some ugly, bulky yarn and a set of plastic needles. On top of the $40 for the class. There wasn't even a yarn color choice! Of course, I bought it, but I grumbled about and still grumble about it. (If you couldn't tell!:lol )

Anywho. Just my gripe of the day, I guess. Good luck on the class!

Maybe you should charge more, and supply their yarn and hooks.

I took a knitting class at a LYS, and they told me what book I would need to buy, and then I could choose any project from that book, and the teacher would help us with what supplies and hooks when we decided on our project.

Maybe you should charge more, and supply their yarn and hooks.

Including supplies is a good idea if it's possible. Or making the supplies required materials. You wouldn't go to a class at a uni or tech school with the wrong supplies. I've taken art classes that specifically tell you the brands and types of materials needed and you just get them if you want to take the class. It's just plain rude to you as a teacher if they don't do the same for you.

I actually offered to provide supplies for an extra charge but not one person has taken me up on that.

You know, I hadn't thought about that, but when taking any kind of class you have to use the right materials. Heck, when I took the Wilton Classes they weren't cheap and you had to purchase quite a lot of stuff so I ended up buying the big kit that had everything in it as it ended up saving me money in the end. However, there were some students who would share tips and such. The instructor would get very frustrated as that would slow down the rest of the class.

I think for the Advanced Beginner class I will be sure to outline what materials need to be brought to the class and explain why there are no exceptions. I mean, come on, why would people not want to buy their supplies at HL? Not only do they have a better variety than Wal-Mart but they are the cheapest place in town. I think a lot of people really think that Wal-Mart is the cheapest out of habit...

I think if you very clearly explain that acrylics don't felt ~ that 100% wool must be used ~ you will be helping them a lot. People who are just learning probably don't know a great deal about yarn and its properties, so actually explaining why this is necessary (i.e., it is not some plot to make them buy more expensive yarn!) will hopefully help.

That's about what I was going to say. As many years as I've been crocheting I knew nothing about felting/fulling until I came here.

Just typing it out on a paper won't ensure they read it, sad but true. Another thing rather we like it or not, most people need to be explained things to almost as if they're in kindergarten. That doesn't mean talk down to them, just explain things carefully, step by step, and completely.

Also remember some people are visual learners and some are not.

So yes, I would actually explain it to them in class. In my opinion, it is part of your job. :)

When I took a Knit I class at Joann's it was required that you purchase the LionBrand Knit kit. Which was $23 dollars for some ugly, bulky yarn and a set of plastic needles. On top of the $40 for the class. There wasn't even a yarn color choice! Of course, I bought it, but I grumbled about and still grumble about it. (If you couldn't tell!:lol )

Thank goodness they dumped that!!!! That was such a waste. Ugh. May/June/July Knit I is a cute bag with bamboo handles! It looks great!

I feel for you. As a student in these classes, I've nearly strangled some of my classmates. It's embarassing that women can be so stupid...and no it's not that they don't read or weren't told. (Sorry no men have been in any classes so I've been blessed in not meeting the stupid ones.) All I can say is try to deal with them if they'll meet you halfway but if it becomes a control issue then set them straight and move on with the rest of the class. They'll talk about you but the rest of the class will love you.

After all it's not like they can't just leave the classroom for a few moments and purchase the correct supplies. They are just out the door.

More than likely their husbands have put them on an allowance. I have friends like that.....money runs through their hands and since they don't work, their husbands have limited their access to cash and credit.

I agree with providing a reason for having each material on your list. I never took an art class, but in my other classes, I rarely ever bought the book. I learned early on that often times teachers put items on their list of materials that are "nice to have" but not necessary. True, those items may be very useful in the future, but since I have a budget, I chose to check the books out from the library instead.

Especially if it is a new hobby for people, they will be reluctant to spend money on more expensive items. They simply don't know whether or not they will enjoy the hobby. There is no Hobby Lobby in my area, however, Walmart does have some yarn and items which are cheaper than Michaels/JoAnns in my area. I try to remember the price of items I am likely to buy so that I can find the best deal.

I'm assuming you're teaching the class at Hobby Lobby. You could put on the sheet that people who do not have the required materials will not be able to take the class until they have the materials. That way they will have to have the materials and will buy it from Hobby Lobby if they don't have the items.

When I worked at Michael's they had the crochet and knit nite and every person was given a list of materials to BUY when they come to the class. (That was sort of a not so subtle hint) and, the store gave them a 10% discount on anything they used in the class. Does HL do that too? You could also start out by saying, now, does everyone have their own hook and yarn for this particular item? If not, you may have time to go purchase it now. ???Just a thought.........I used to teach cake decorating and the ladies would borrow eachothers supplies and I had a hard time also and they did things their own way too, if I said bring RED icing for the rose tube, there would always be someone with bright blue icing in a star flower tube. Some people just will not follow. The instruction sheet helped, as i used to say "it is very important that you use the exact materials listed on this sheet as the instructions do not work for other tubes." You you probably still have the one or 2. Don't know why. :manyheart

Donna just tell them out right at the beginning of your class and anyone who wants to go on and do a more advanced class will have to buy a small kit on the day at $?. Sometimes you have to be firm but usually if you explain no frills up front why and it will make your job a whole lot easier. That way you know they will all have the same stuff and will hopefully end up with the same results whayt they do after that is their business.

I agree with some of the others, Donna. Instead of stressing yourself and worrying about if everyone will come to class with their supplies, I would up the price of the class and provide the materials myself. That way you KNOW they have what they need...no excuses! I would probably pick one color and provide everyone with the same so no fighting over different colors or whatever...

Laurie:hook

I have taken lots of classes (not in crochet) where there is a class fee and a fee for supplies. Put together a kit of the supplies they will need. For the wool, have a choice of colors. State it upfront in the publicity for the class. You can have them pay you the class fee, and go to the register at HL and pay for the supplies. Now, if the hook requirement is a specific size, and they bring in that size, I suppose you could let them use their own.

If you are teaching felting, how are you doing that. Do the students take their project home to finish and felt it themselves? I don't think HL's have washing machines, do they :)

If students are allowed to bring in their own supplies, and their yarn is not the correct type (wool) or size, they will not have a successful project... and then who will they blame?

Good luck with it!

Joan

Donna, you have to explain to people that different yarns do or don't felt properly; and that different brands of say 'K' hooks won't be the same size. You need to explain that they must use the same hook to finish the whole project or the gauge won't be correct. I had that problem until I realized that different hooks are not the same mm even if the same letter; now when I stop a project I note what KIND of hook as well as size.

I agree with some of the others, Donna. Instead of stressing yourself and worrying about if everyone will come to class with their supplies, I would up the price of the class and provide the materials myself. That way you KNOW they have what they need...no excuses! I would probably pick one color and provide everyone with the same so no fighting over different colors or whatever...

Laurie:hook

I agree. My LYS states CLEARLY on their registration form that all supplies for their classes must be purchased at the store. At first I found the tone a little off-putting, but after reading this thread, I understand that some people may not follow instructions, and that there are business reasons as well.

Be sure that if your class project requires speciffic supplies, that the store actually sells those supplies. Twice now I have been at the one store and have seen people searching pointlessly for yarn bobbins because that store doesn't carry them - not out of stock, they just don't sell them. The people get frustrated because they don't have time to go to another store before their class starts.

Not that you have much control over this, but in addition to making sure the supplies are at the store, try to see if the people working in the yarn department know what the supplies are. I took a class once and had to ask a clerk for help, and all I got was a blank face. While actually in the class, the teacher spent more time pushing "other useful products" we could buy at the store, than actually teaching us anything. I felt like I paid to go to a Tupperware party, not a sewing class.

I understand your need about accepting only cash for the lessons. I don't think I'd make people pay you for a kit unless you are going to accept another method of payment. There are a lot of people who don't carry that much cash on hand or live by credit cards, whether it's because they are in debt or they are collecting rewards for using a credit card. For something that isn't a neccessity, you might lose students if they think the fee is too high and you're being strict about the accepted payment. I'd just provide a detailed list and let them buy from it.

I hope the next class goes easier for you!

Wow, so many helpful hints! Thanks so much! This is a live and learn thing and I will be sooo much better prepared for the next classes now.

I actually speak to the manager before the sign up for the classes start and give him a list of what I am needing for students to buy. I also will impliment a few of these great ideas for the next months classes.

I have to have my paperwork ready to put up in the store this Saturday so I have a lot of things to put together.

Since I offered to buy the beginners supplies if they paid me for them and not one person wanted me to, I don't think I'll offer that option again. I will, however, make sure that I explain in the supplies list how important it is that each student have their own supplies and that they need to purchase what is on the list for specific reasons. I am also going to put in CAPS and BOLD lettering that they must purchase supplies from Hobby Lobby unless they are bringing a hook or something already in their possesion.

Now to determine price. I charged $15 for the beginner class which was 2 hours.

For the advanced beginner class it will also be 2 hours but 2 sessions as well so a total of 4 hours. I know I charged low on my intro classes but I don't want to charge too high on the next ones. I've been googling crochet classes and have seen beginner classes at upwards of $45 for an hour! I'm thinking $40-$45 for the advanced beginner class? I guess we'll see what kind of response I get.

Off to work on my flyers! Thanks for all the suggestions!

If you are teaching felting, how are you doing that. Do the students take their project home to finish and felt it themselves? I don't think HL's have washing machines, do they :)

Joan

Since this was a beginner class I provided detailed instructions on how to felt their items at home after class. I also gave everyone my e-mail addy and cell phone # so if they had problems with it they could call. I also offered for this class that if they had problems or needed more help they could attend my next beginners class this weekend at no charge. I wanted to make sure that everyone felt like they got their money's worth.

Since this was a beginners class and I had to teach everything from how to make a slip knot to chaining and stitches nobody had their project finished and ready for felting at the end of the class. Most were about 1/2 way done but I didn't expect them to finish in 2 hours...

Hello there, In my experience students never read anything - they have to be told, then told again, then again, then you need to question them to see if they have got it!

I can't believe you charge so little for your classes! you should be charging that per hour at least.

Tell your students that if they don't bring in the proper equipment you can't teach them and they are wasting their time and yours. You need to be clear in what you want from them and stick to it by being firm! (It is hard at first!)

Good luck again.

Hello there, In my experience students never read anything - they have to be told, then told again, then again, then you need to question them to see if they have got it!

I can't believe you charge so little for your classes! you should be charging that per hour at least.

Tell your students that if they don't bring in the proper equipment you can't teach them and they are wasting their time and yours. You need to be clear in what you want from them and stick to it by being firm! (It is hard at first!)

Good luck again.

Thanks so much! I am still struggling with the prices for my advanced-beginner classes! 4 hours total over 2 weeks. I was thinking maybe $40-$45. Do you think that's too much or too little?

Archived