Suggestion for pattern/yarn for Advanced Beginners

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me with teaching crochet. I am so thrilled at the response I have gotten so far and am super excited about my 2nd beginners class this weekend. I am going to talk to the Manager about dates for teaching my next classes this week and 3 of the 5 students from my first beginner class did inquire about learning more and taking more advanced classes.

I need pattern suggestions. Obviously I need a free pattern that I can copy and distribute to the students and something trendy and not outdated.

I am thinking of either a Simple Shrug or a Poncho of some kind. The people who inquired are really wanting to learn stitches that are "cool looking". They specifically asked for the following stitches:

Popcorn

Clusters

Puffy Stitches

Any other cool stitches

So, does anyone have any ideas for me as far as what direction I should take? I don't think whatever it is we make needs to have all the stitches but we definately want it to have at least 2 new stitches besides the SC, HDC, and DC...

Also, a suggestion on yarn would be great as well. They really want to use something other than WW. They are anxious to use some of the really neat yarns. Since I really need them to purchase their materials at the HL I was thinking maybe a Yarn Bee yarn of some type, however, I have only used a couple different kinds so far and the ones I have used are not for Advanced Beginners.

So suggestions on patterns and yarn types would be great! THANKS everyone for your support!

For beginners....I would NOT suggest fancy yarns. They can be pains. What about Simply Soft? It's nice and soft, but not that hard to deal with. Perhaps they could edge the poncho in fun fur or something. Edging is easier to do with the fancy yarns.

V-stitch poncho

http://members.aol.com/JSchlossma/blpon.html

simple shrug

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/mar99_crochet.html

shawl

http://www.techchick.lunarpages.com/knottie/crafts/blue_shawl.htm

One of Dot's ponchos

http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/49.html

There's always LionBrand's web site.

Good luck!:hook

• 1 month later...

Hey there. This post looks a little old but I'll throw my two cents in anyway...

I agree with Christina; fancy yarn will be very frustrating for advanced beginners; I wouldsave that for an intermediate class. ESPECIALLY with textured stitches! It's so hard with the trendy yarns to see what the heck you're doing! So maybe they could tinker with different weights, different fiber blends, but run, run from those feather/eyelash/fuzzy/trellis yarns. Argh!

Can you tell, I've spent many an hour cursing these yarns? :)

Good luck with the teaching; I teach too (English, though) and I know how challenging all the prep can be, and then to have people not do what you ask them to do!

Hugs,

Raquel

Simply Soft, though worsted weight, is a good one for beginners, especially if they want to see the stitches and the pattern that comes out.

You could also show them the eyelash (Fun Fur is what I use) and other yarns, but caution them that they really can only do dc and triple crochets with taht type of yarn (I'm actually only knitted with "special yarns" but that's what I've heard). You could also show examples of special yarns using popcorn and other stitches and point out to them that it won't show up.

You might also try Homespun (using a big hook).

I really like shell patterns. You could show them how to make some pretty shells for edging.

Be sure to point out to them that the non WW yarns are more expensive and that they must buy all the supplies.

I'm working on a bag now that I think would be a fun advance beginner bag. It's fairly simple, but the bag is really cute. It uses basic stitches and a puff stitch and front post. It also works around both sides of the initial chain. and they can use the bag!

Here is the link.

It uses size 10 thread - which is easy to work with and thick enough for beginners.

• 2 weeks later...

FOUND A PATTERN THAT IS NOT ONLY CHALLENGING,BUT ALSO FUN. IT CAN BE USED FOR AN BED SPREAD, BABY COVERLETE , THROW AND EVEN A 9-PATCH PILLOW. OR MAYBE CROCHETING LETTERS ON ITEMS TO PERSONALIZE?

I have to say that although self taught :think my first project was with Fun Fur. Just a simple scarf using a half double crochet. I did have to rip it back a couple of times due to missing a stitch here and there, and having difficulty finding the end of my row (increasing and decreasing due to inexperience). I think if you keep the stitches simple, they could do an easy project no problem. :hook I've only been "really" crocheting since the beginning of March, I'm finishing up the "Quirky" bird from the last Crochet World mag, and I've done a ton of single crochet flip flops, scarves, a couple of felted bags, (some with a boa yarn around the top) I'm almost done with a boucle baby blanket, bib, burp cloth, and booties set. (The bib and booties are cotton WW with the matching boucle from the blanket as the border.) They are cute and easy. :manyheart I think if you are there helping them to learn to see the stitch differentiations, and helping to learn to count in rounds and things, there shouldn't be a problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Remember, I'm new and self taught, don't laugh... I'm sure your students will do better with more guidance!

May1326.jpg

Thanks for everyones suggestions! Since I'm having surgery on Tuesday and won't be able to crochet for awhile I won't be teaching for at least a month... I love the idea of using Aunt Lydia's Denim as it's a great way to "see" stitches without having a tiny little thread...

Archived