"Ghost Whisperer" criticism

In today's issue of "USA Weekend" is an article on television's Best and Worst Dressed. They really trash Jenifer Love Hewitt's crocheted clothing! And here we all are trying to copy it! They refer to it as "hippie crocheted numbers" she got from dead hippies. How rude!!:angry

Susan Rae

I saw the post and ran to my USA Weekend which I hadn't read yet and found the comments... HARSH!!!! Thank goodness we are not swayed by a certain critics uninformed comment... There must be a lot of undressed dead hippies running around because I'm seeing a LOT of crochet in today's fashion... I am awaiting my copy of Shelle's gorgeous Whispering Elegance sweater pattern and will stitch it up and wear it proudly! whether or not some 'fashion critic' puts it on a best or worst dressed list...

Reading down in the USA Weekend article I found a reference to Earl (My Name is Earl - IMO one of the funniest shows on right now) and I always tease my husaband about having 'Earl hair'! Wouldn't trade him in or any of my 'dead hippie' crochet numbers...

I am awaiting my copy of Shelle's gorgeous Whispering Elegance sweater pattern and will stitch it up and wear it proudly! whether or not some 'fashion critic' puts it on a best or worst dressed list...

I'm with you, and very many of us on this board, they are out of their minds.

Here is the link to the article http://usaweekend.com/06_issues/060319/060319best_worst_dressed.html

maybe we should all email them with our opinions..... this is who spoke their opinion:

By Michele Hatty

Fashion plates (and fashion disasters) litter the small screen. But how to tell which is which? To help us evaluate whose look we should emulate -- and whose we should avoid -- we asked style gurus Stacy London and Clinton Kelly from TLC's fabulously snarky (and often endearing) makeover show, "What Not to Wear" (Fridays, 9 p.m. ET), to give us their picks for the best- and worst-dressed characters on TV. Read on for their choices, plus their advice for those in need of a couture intervention.

MAYBE NOW WE KNOW "WHAT NOT TO WATCH" !!!!!!!

_____

cindy

:neener I wonder if they'll be eating their words soon.... just got back from the mall, and we saw a lot of crochet, vintage, bohemian, etc.... clothes and purses. Even my husband was spotting things and pointing them out to me. He loves the look. Part of the reason why I enjoy the show "Ghost Whisperer" is to see the clothes Jennifer Love Hewitt and Aisha Tyler (sp?) wear. They both wear very classy and feminine styles. BTW, here's an interesting fact - I teach crochet and knitting classes at a Community Education Coalition, and crochet sign-ups out-number the knitting classes 3 to 1! The enthusiasm for the crochet classes is phenomenal! The ones who have attended both classes say they prefer crochet. I like both, but much prefer crochet for the versatiliy, ease, and speed. So there. :nahnah

p.s. Just try to go anywhere while wearing a crocheted poncho, shawl, sweater, purse or bag, and see how many people stop you & ask if you made it, etc....count the ooohs and aaahs. That's all I gotta say about that...:bow

:neener

p.s. Just try to go anywhere while wearing a crocheted poncho, shawl, sweater, purse or bag, and see how many people stop you & ask if you made it, etc....count the ooohs and aaahs. That's all I gotta say about that...:bow

Ain't that the truth!!!! I constantly get compliments at work for my shawls, scarves and stoles... and skirts, wrist warmers, etc... and these are from professional people in the courthouse - even one of the lady judges always compliments and begs me "when are you going to start selling these? I want one so bad!" My teenage daughter is waiting impatiently for me to make her a cardigan from S&B HH and my teen son LOVES the earflap hats I make... my daughter in college is crocheting her own scarves now and just made a baby ghan and booties for one of her professors who had a baby! Crochet is definitely IN!!!!!!

In general, I'm far from a slave to fashion, as are most of the folks on the board here. I'm also not a television watcher (haven't watched the boob-tube in over 7 years, except for rare brief glimpses at public places or someone else's house), so I've never seen any of the shows mentioned. I've certainly seen a relative explosion of crocheted fashions in the clothing catalogs that jam my mailbox on a regular basis, though!

I wouldn't take the USA article too seriously, especially when they introduce the opinion as coming from:

style gurus Stacy London and Clinton Kelly from TLC's fabulously snarky (and often endearing) makeover show, "What Not to Wear"

I could have told this Michele person all about "Who Not to Ask" as far as predicting fashion trends go! So what is it that makes these two such experts? I'd be curious to know, if anyone has actually watched this "snarky" show (BIG clue right there!) just what kinds of styles they DO recommend and dress people in when making them over, and why. :think And then they can go back to obscurity as far as I'm concerned, where they belong. :devil Who needs snarky?

I used to watch What not to wear wsith stacy and Clinton until they started trashing everything that was hand made be it crochet or knit. It seems that they don't like anything unless it can be found on wallstreet. That is not me . I Love the clothes on Ghost Whisper. My husband even comments on the crochet items.

Gotta trash homemade stuff. Big corporations want "all the same dummies dressed in THEIR boring styles". Teamwork my behind......bosses want all the money so they can flash their style. TV flunkies are the worst about sucking up. Anything to get ahead.

All this knitting and crochet stuff is looking like the "60s and big social change happened then. Individualism is on the raise......the '80s and '90s are dead.

When those buildings went down in NY, the US people started bonding as families again. Old traditions started up again and passdowns were brought out and cherished. Old skills were learned and a new generation picked up some of their past. It's all good!

Gotta trash homemade stuff. Big corporations want "all the same dummies dressed in THEIR boring styles". Teamwork my behind......bosses want all the money so they can flash their style. TV flunkies are the worst about sucking up. Anything to get ahead.

All this knitting and crochet stuff is looking like the "60s and big social change happened then. Individualism is on the raise......the '80s and '90s are dead.

When those buildings went down in NY, the US people started bonding as families again. Old traditions started up again and passdowns were brought out and cherished. Old skills were learned and a new generation picked up some of their past. It's all good!

Wow, how profound! You hit the nail on the head! :2rock:yes I agree wholeheartedly. ;)

:lol I watch that show late at night if there is nothing on. I have noticed that they only go for the very New York professional look, they always pair a jacket, the jeans are always over $100. bucks, and they can turn a fashion disaster into something nice, (sometimes!) but that girl Michelle is such a b word. She was on Oprah one day and was giving advice about what style jeans women should wear, and when Oprah asked her what "brand" her oh so fashionable jeans were, with her stiletto heals, she said, oh they are called "Super Skinny" and they are a size zero. So, ofcourse she has NO CLUE of the rest of the world, and US making our very fashionable items. I have been offered money for things I have made, but had to politely say that if I were to charge by the hour the item would be a couple hundred dollars. That usually stops inquiring strangers right dead in their rich little stiletto bootie tracks. I make for family and friends out of LOVE, which is pricless. The girl is clueless, plus she obviously eats water for breakfast lunch and dinner. :lol :lol :lol Wait til' life catches up with HER!!! hahahahahahaha!!!!!!! She won't be so "snarky"!! :lol :lol :lol

In general, I'm far from a slave to fashion, as are most of the folks on the board here. I'm also not a television watcher (haven't watched the boob-tube in over 7 years, except for rare brief glimpses at public places or someone else's house), so I've never seen any of the shows mentioned. I've certainly seen a relative explosion of crocheted fashions in the clothing catalogs that jam my mailbox on a regular basis, though!

I wouldn't take the USA article too seriously, especially when they introduce the opinion as coming from:

I could have told this Michele person all about "Who Not to Ask" as far as predicting fashion trends go! So what is it that makes these two such experts? I'd be curious to know, if anyone has actually watched this "snarky" show (BIG clue right there!) just what kinds of styles they DO recommend and dress people in when making them over, and why. :think And then they can go back to obscurity as far as I'm concerned, where they belong. :devil Who needs snarky?

I haven't watched "Ghost Whisperer" in a while, but I always loved Hewitt's wardrobe. I like that it was very unapologetically feminine, and usually very different from the run of the mill stuff.

I haven't watched "What Not To Wear" in a while either, just because the stylists wore clothes I considered tacky or unflattering. Some people don't care how silly they look as long as they're "trendy." It was hard to take the show seriously when the stylists don't know how to dress. It's kind of like Paula Abdul judging a singing contest. Oh, wait. They put that on the air, too. :lol

I'm all for giving people tips on putting outfits together, but only if they ask and only if you have an actual eye for beauty and not just a talent for memorizing the trends put forth by the fashion industry.

On the other hand, if I had my own TV show I'd be tempted to speak out against my personal fashion pet peeves, like thong wedgies (when a woman's pants follow her thong into the abyss and she's oblivious to it--but everyone behind her knows). Why anyone thought that was the solution to panty lines is beyond me. :P

On the other hand, if I had my own TV show I'd be tempted to speak out against my personal fashion pet peeves, like thong wedgies (when a woman's pants follow her thong into the abyss and she's oblivious to it--but everyone behind her knows). Why anyone thought that was the solution to panty lines is beyond me. :P

Now THAT is very funny!!!!! My mature-beyond-her-years 12-yr-old and her friends always laugh about a certain teacher at their school who still isn't over the 'thong climbing out of her pants' style and when she bends over (in front of middle-school BOYS no less *come ON, lady*) the kids are trying not to laugh at her. Even at their tender age I hear their comments: "That is SO out!" "She looks ridiculous." "Did you see Mrs. X was wearing a zebra thong today? Gross."

Now THAT is very funny!!!!! My mature-beyond-her-years 12-yr-old and her friends always laugh about a certain teacher at their school who still isn't over the 'thong climbing out of her pants' style and when she bends over (in front of middle-school BOYS no less *come ON, lady*) the kids are trying not to laugh at her. Even at their tender age I hear their comments: "That is SO out!" "She looks ridiculous." "Did you see Mrs. X was wearing a zebra thong today? Gross."

eeeyewww..... someone should keep an eye on that teacher...... can you say mary kay letourno? :ohdear

I just LOVED the sweaters that they put her in.

Sadly, they have taken off "Ghost Whisper" here. Deal or No Deal has taken it's place for now.

Oh no! :eek I hope they don't do that here (Indiana) I love that show! I hate Deal or No Deal. I missed GW last Fri. because of basketball.... :(

I've never watched the show, but I googled both her name and the show and couldn't find any crocheting. Does anyone have a link to any images of the crocheted stuff?

I've never watched the show, but I googled both her name and the show and couldn't find any crocheting. Does anyone have a link to any images of the crocheted stuff?

I wish!! I looked and looked for a picture of her in that long white sweater, but couldn't find any. I had to "wing it" when I designed the sweater. :hook

• 1 month later...

If you go to the official site and click on Melinda's closet, there are several of her outfits you can click on and look at. One impartacular if you click on a little red purse next to the hat boxes in the lower left hand corner, a GORGEOUS antique crochet lace blouse and jacket are shown!

There are a couple of other crochet outfits there too. Have fun just looking at all the clothes!

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/ghost_whisperer/mels_closet.shtml

If you go to the official site and click on Melinda's closet, there are several of her outfits you can click on and look at. One impartacular if you click on a little red purse next to the hat boxes in the lower left hand corner, a GORGEOUS antique crochet lace blouse and jacket are shown!

There are a couple of other crochet outfits there too. Have fun just looking at all the clothes!

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/ghost_whisperer/mels_closet.shtml

That is really neet! I love Victorian clothes... I'm on a personal mission to re-introduce pantaloons into common wear! And with all the beautiful crochet out there, I think class and taste are gonna win over butt-floss underwear and butt-cleavege jeans!

Archived