Chemical and petroleum finishes on yarn

http://cxp.paterra.com/uspregrant20040200006.html

I've been wondering if yarns and threads have chemical finishes on them such as clothing and fabric has. There are occasionally news broadcasts about someone becoming extremely ill or even dying from the chemical finishes on fabric.

I'm doing some research to find out what's what with yarn and thread. Have come up with this so far.

It's quite an undertaking, Gran. I am sure there are many chemicals involved and they probably vary with the type of yarn being used.

There is Superwash Wool, I am sure it is treated by? to make it washable.

I am more than interested and if I get a chance to look into it deeper, I'll be sure to post.

I am willing to bet that there are many people on this board who react to some of those substances but may not make the "yarn-connection".

(or would we prefer not to hear it:) ?)

If any of you should find any more (like the mercerized cotton references),please confine them to this thread please. :) It is informative, but it will be overwhelming if references keep popping up in new threads.

If any of you should find any more (like the mercerized cotton references),please confine them to this thread please. :) It is informative, but it will be overwhelming if references keep popping up in new threads.

It makes sense!:)

I wonder if we find a connection between chemicals, burning eyes (my previous thread), and dry hands (which may be due to plain old friction)?

There is Superwash Wool, I am sure it is treated by? to make it washable.

Superwash wool is coated with a resin to keep the fibers from tangling when washed. That's what keeps it from fulling or felting.

I'm glad someone else finds this interesting. If anyone else finds an informative link, could you post it here, too? It's a subject which I find important, and will do research as I have time. I definitely understand why some crocheters like to card, spin, and dye their own materials.

• 2 weeks later...

:think I always understood that Machine Wash Pure Wool was pre-shrunk before it is spun rather than treated with chemicals after it is spun.

At least this is how it started out.:cheer

I certainly hope so as I am very allergic to all Petroleum Products. I suffered for years, from Psoriosis cause by Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly)which I was using on cotton wool to stop water getting into my ears when I was in the shower.

I stopped using it and the worst of the Psoriosis disappeared. I got rid of the last of it by using Emu Oil which I got from Australia.

I would hate to think that any yarn was coated with petroleum based products, although I know that some cotton threads are coated with something, as it is not good for anyone.

Pure Wool should be just that.

Interesting subject, thanks for bringing it up.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived