Doing a project with Variegated Yarn

I guess it is all just a matter of personal preference when it comes to using variegated yarns.

Update on my latest baby afghan that I'm using variegated yarn. It is RH Starbrights. It is really cute. I have the entire center of the afghan done. Tonight I'm going to work on the trim. I should have it done in the next couple of days and I'll post a pic.

Even though I've matched the colors when switching skeins--there is still a slight change in the color pattern. I see it because I'm looking for it. Others might not see it at all. I bought all the same dye lot--which I always do. I suppose it has something to do with the length of each color on the yarn. I can't wait to have it done. I think I'm going to make a matching toy to go with it. I saw someone posted crocheted catepillar awhile back. Does anyone have that pattern?

• 2 weeks later...

HHMM, I never actually thought of matching it to the point you left off...but I'll have to look at doing that in the future.

I've used variegated yarn and thread and have never worried about it. If you are doing something like a doily, it doesn't seem to matter. I like using these because you are getting different colors anyway. Even when I have used them in shawls, if you want to really look for it, it isn't noticeable.

I always match it up, There was one time I did not and that was the end of that! I deal with this type of yarn a lot and some of the yarns that shade from light to dark of the same color are hard, but I take the time to do it and wind all the skeins into a big ball before I make something (not very big balls since I only make scarves and such) so I don't have to worry about it later.

But if you use one skein from the center and the next one from the outside it does makle a neat mirror pattern...sometime.

Archived