Doing a project with Variegated Yarn

When you are doing an entire afghan (lap size, full size, baby) in variegated yarn--- do you just add the next skein on or do you see what color you have ended on and try to match that up with the next skein? For example: IF I end on a blue...I will cut the next one off at the blue so my pattern will continue exactly where I left off.

I learned by mistakes that if I start from the center of the skein--I have to ALWAYS start from the center of the skein otherwise the color flow is backwards! Live and learn! I did that a time or two years ago.

Also, then you don't get that funky distorted look if you try to start where you end off...it gives it more of an even color flow and less likely to notice where you've added the next skein.

Do others do it this way or am I wrong in my thinking?

What an interesting question! To be honest, I haven't noticed that, but then again I wasn't looking for that pattern disruption you're talking about. You have a good idea about moving up the yarn in the new skein until you come to the same point in the color pattern. Well....I learned something new today. Thanks, Teresa! :hook

For me it depends on the variegation. If it is a simple variegation like most RH, then I let the colors fall as they may. If it is a more complex variegation, where there are many different colors (rather than just shades of the same color), then I will try to match up the variegation. Just be aware if you do the second, you are going to need more yarn, than what the pattern calls for.

Another thing to keep in mind, when you use variegated yarn for wearables, is to start each piece at the same point of the variegate, so everything lines up more or less. (You will definitely need alot more yarn for this, depending on how long the variegate is.)

Yes, I do, no matter the project. There is a certain pattern that usually becomes apparent with varigated yarn, & failing to match it up disrupts it (you can see on this project how even the Red Heart varigated will produce a pattern, unfortunately switching from rounds to rows messed it up anyway). I look at it the same as matching plaids when sewing (not that I sew plaids :lol). It just has a much more professional look that way.

This is an interesting thread - thanks for posting it. I just bought some multi colored Lion Wool Prints to use in a garment and I hadn't even thought about this issue. I'll be sure to match the colors when I change now. I hope I bought enough yarn

I found out, the hard way, that one should try to match up the colors. When I was doing my spring placemats, I got one done and discovered that the color pattern all of a sudden CHANGED part way through the mat where I had changed skeins. It was painfully obvious...Nowadays, I try to match up, not only the colors, but the order the colors are going in. In other words, if I find the new skein is going in the direction of blue, pink, green, and the old one was green, pink, blue, then I roll the skein into a ball, so that the colors go in the same order.

well, years ago I made a baby afghan out of a very pretty baby colored variegated yarn and when I got all done I put it on the floor to admire it and it looked horrible, because the variegated started out one way and then when I changed skeins the colors were thrown of. Drove me nuts--I thought I can't give this as a gift, so I gave it to my niece for a doll blanket and made another afghan in a solid color that time.

The reason I started to think about this is because I'm making a variegated baby afghan for my cousin in FL. It is turning out very cute. I'll post pictures when it is done. The baby shower is April 9.

Perfectionist? Some things I can be that way--with my crochet--I tend to be...not in all areas of my life though! LOL

I had never thought of it before. I guess in order to keep the rotation going you would have to. I have always just started it and never thought about it. Thanks a bunch.

ok, as soon as I say that once I start a project with variegated yarns when I pull from the center of a skein I have to do that on all of my skeins for that project to keep the colors in order.....WELL I'm working on this baby afghan and I'm starting the 3rd skein...it is wound the opposite of the first 2 skeins I did. I noticed that the color order was backwards....so this one I have to crochet off of the outside of the skein. It is a pain! LOL. I'm waiting for the skein to dwindle then I'm going to wind it on my ball winder. I don't think it will wind a 5 oz skein.

Have to stay on my toes with this stuff.:eek

I'm glad I saw this post, I started my first project with variegated yarn and obviously I want it to look good and I definately see the point, luckily I haven't made it to the point yet of starting with another skein of the variegated. It's a baby blanket made in Red Heart Baby Clouds, it's so awesome...I'll have to post a pic when I'm done

I love how much you ladies teach me!

Gee wizz what a tidy little lot you are! I just so love variegated yarn that I have a variegated yarn collection. (lol)

I have never matched the colours as I like the surprise of what happens next. Ususally the pattern changes or the round becomes a row etc, so the pattern is mucked up any how. Not sure that I am making any sence at all, but cos I love this stuff so much I try to maximase it so wasting any to match the colour would make me break out in a rash. :lol :lol :lol

I had a fit with the Homespun I used in my dad's sweater .http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23709&highlight=cardis

I had to keep trying to match the colors on the fronts because they were narrower than the back and came out looking chunky.:P Then the colors ended up different across the width of the front so I did a lot of frogging and joining just to get them approximately even where the sweater buttoned. I wasted a lot of yarn and eventually got quite confused about the progression of the colors--which came first, second, etc. It seemed I had wound some of my frogged yarn into a ball in the wrong direction.:( If I ever decide to make something out of variegated yarn again, somebody please beat me with a stick!!!:lol

I generally use the diagonal box stitch pattern or knit diagonally with variegated yarns so I don't need to worry about patterning. The continual increases or decreases mess up the color pattern....

ok, as soon as I say that once I start a project with variegated yarns when I pull from the center of a skein I have to do that on all of my skeins for that project to keep the colors in order.....WELL I'm working on this baby afghan and I'm starting the 3rd skein...it is wound the opposite of the first 2 skeins I did. I noticed that the color order was backwards....so this one I have to crochet off of the outside of the skein. It is a pain! LOL. I'm waiting for the skein to dwindle then I'm going to wind it on my ball winder. I don't think it will wind a 5 oz skein.

Have to stay on my toes with this stuff.:eek

Oh, no! Good thing you caught it before you had used up half of the skein! :whew

Gee wizz what a tidy little lot you are! I just so love variegated yarn that I have a variegated yarn collection. (lol)

I have never matched the colours as I like the surprise of what happens next. Ususally the pattern changes or the round becomes a row etc, so the pattern is mucked up any how. Not sure that I am making any sence at all, but cos I love this stuff so much I try to maximase it so wasting any to match the colour would make me break out in a rash.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I understand what you mean. :yes

I had a fit with the Homespun I used in my dad's sweater .http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23709&highlight=cardis

I had to keep trying to match the colors on the fronts because they were narrower than the back and came out looking chunky. Then the colors ended up different across the width of the front so I did a lot of frogging and joining just to get them approximately even where the sweater buttoned. I wasted a lot of yarn and eventually got quite confused about the progression of the colors--which came first, second, etc. It seemed I had wound some of my frogged yarn into a ball in the wrong direction. If I ever decide to make something out of variegated yarn again, somebody please beat me with a stick!!!

Okay! spanka.gif:wink

Here is a sample of a variegated baby afghan I made years and years ago before I realized I needed to match my variegated yarn up. I just didn't like the way it looks, so I gave it to my niece for her dolls.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/variegatedbabyafghan.jpg

As you can see at the bottom of the afghan the colors started out zig-zaggy and then they lined up, then went zig-zaggy again...at the top they lined up.

:( :(

Um, I think it is beautiful. It is the random variations that are so pretty. It is a bit like a lucky dip. If I wasnt after a surprise I would use boring old plain stuff. Fancy wasting this on the dolls! :lol :lol :lol

Here is a sample of a variegated baby afghan I made years and years ago before I realized I needed to match my variegated yarn up. I just didn't like the way it looks, so I gave it to my niece for her dolls.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/variegatedbabyafghan.jpg

As you can see at the bottom of the afghan the colors started out zig-zaggy and then they lined up, then went zig-zaggy again...at the top they lined up.

:( :(

Depends on how the varigated colors run if just a short touch of color or a longer run of the color... I would try to match depending on the stitch pattern.. Right now I am working on a shrug for one of my dds done with the Joann Rainbow yarn and I am making sure to match up the colors especially areas like the sleeve edges so both look the same. So it really depends on the project you are working on and the stitch pattern. The picture of your baby afghan is a pefect example of a time when you really can't tell it the colors match up due to the stitch pattern used.

I don't match up my varigated yarns. I never actually thought about doing it since I usually made one skein scarves. I then made a baby blanket. True, it came out nice, but it was obviously from two different skeins and two different, distinct patterns. Before, I used to try to disrupt any patterns that formed. I liked them to turn out different. Now I actually like the patterns.

Archived