Crochet Class this weekend. I'm nervous!!! (See Post #17 for link to how it went!)

(I wasn't sure if this belonged here or OT so please move if it's in the wrong spot!)

Ok, as many of you know I am teaching crochet classes at HL starting this Saturday. I went into HL last night to see if anyone had signed up and 4 people had! Then one of the people that signed up just called and her sister is coming as well so that makes 5. Then I get a call from another lady and that makes 6. Then I get an e-mail from a lady who wants to come as well as her daughter! That would make 8. GULP! I am not certain about the final two people as she just had questions and hasn't officially signed up yet but I think I'm going to run in there tonite and close this class. I don't know that I want to teach more than 8 beginners at once! UGH!

So I'm so so so nervous! At first I was afraid nobody would sign up and now it's overwhelming! I am beyond bowled over.

I'm in the process now of printing out tutorials and things so that they will have illustrations to help them after the class.

Anyway, I guess I just need a boost of confidence as I'm so afraid they will be disappointed in me as a teacher. I'm sure after the first class I'll be fine but I've got a serious case of stage fright. (Which is odd as I've been in the spotlight nearly my entire life being on the radio and such and never getting nervous, even when going on stage at a concert to introduce an act in front of thousands of people.) I'm not used to being this nervous and just wanted a little boost of confidence.

Did I fall in too deep or will it all work out in the end? :think

I am so excited for you and wish I could be there in person. You will do fine, I just know it! 8 people...too cool for school! Everything will be fine. You're doing great as it is, really. You're getting all prepped and ready to go. Remember to breathe and have fun...this is suppose to be fun.

And I'd worry if you didn't feel a bit nervous...you go girl, you're cooking with fire!

A cup of confidence being sent your way...

I once taught at our church about 10 tween/teenagers how to make scrunchies. Many didn't know how to crochet. It was so scary, but in the end we had a lot of fun. I was living in a different town then and had my mom, a close friend and her daughter and 2 other older women that knew how to crochet come and help. It ended up like a quilt session from the past. I had a great time and so did everyone else. I even had a lefty there and my mom was kind enough to help her.

It's so scary at first, but it can be so much fun. If people really want to learn, everything will be fine.

GOOD LUCK!:hug

(Which is odd as I've been in the spotlight nearly my entire life being on the radio and such and never getting nervous, even when going on stage at a concert to introduce an act in front of thousands of people.)

Sometimes working "up close and personal" with a few people can be much more threatening than talking to 1,000 of people at once. But you will do well. You love crochet, you want your students to love it, and that will come through in your teaching. Just smile and breathe! You'll do great!

Let us know how it turns out.

You'll be fine and afterwards you'll look back and be so glad you did it.;)

I just taught 15 people last Sunday. My original plan was to teach 3-4 people but the response was overwhelming. Please read my post with observations about my class if you think that could help you.

Good luck and best wishes! :hook

Oh Donna you are going to suprise yourself the most at how great its going to be and you will wonder why you were so nervous. These people are comming because they want to learn something and that is half the battle when you teach anything. A willing participant is so much easier to teach than someone who doesn't want to be there darl. I know. If you need to just ask them to split into 2 groups so its easier for them to see do it. Your the teacher and a good one to they are so lucky to have you !

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! 2 of the 8 people that signed up have rescheduled for the March 25th class instead. (Something came up in their schedules this weekend) Which is good as 6 sound much better for my first class!

I'm still trying to work on my handouts and such. The biggest problem I'm worried about is teaching left handed people. I do believe that one of the people is a lefty. I'm a lefty but I crochet right handed. I've been reading up and it says the best thing to do is to have the person sit directly in front of you and mirror what you do. I hope so as I would hate to have someone leave the class and not know how to do a CH, SC and HDC! I am feeling more confident though...

Thanks for all the suggestions and all. You guys are the best! :hug:hug:hug

It sounds like you've got everything under control. I'm sure things will go well, but I do understand your nerves! I'm waiting for Michael's to call me back after they approached me about teaching last weekend. Ring, phone, RING!

Good luck, Donna! :hug

Trust me, you'll do fine! I started teaching at the Community Education Coalition, and the director signed up 15 people for a beginners class! She also had to put 15 more on a waiting list! I was REALLY concerned about the number! (I had told her no more than 8 but I guess she forgot that part!). But it went just fine - everybody was very eager & I just made the rounds around the table to whoever needed a little extra help. At first I stood at the end of the table, and held up my yarn and hook while standing with my side to them, so they could "look over my shoulder". I just went very slowly, and they caught on real quick! You're right, after the first class, it gets easier! I taught 4 crochet sessions, and at the end, they all wanted to start another class right away! Good Luck, and let us know how it went! :hook

Hope this helps - it really helped me when I was nervous (and excited) about a new class I had years ago - teaching IT at 28 to folks double my age - 25 in a group, who were using IT at work everyday!!

Your students will be much more nervous than you - they don't know what to expect when they arrive - so you have the upper hand as you are planned and ready to teach.

You will be brill and they will love it. Get the faster folks to help out the slower ones and they will love the responsibility.

I always do an icebreaker for my first session and outline what the course will cover. Then for each session I say what objectives we will be doing at the start which keeps focus and control.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how you got on.

Donnalynn,

Im sure you will be perfect!

Im curious to know how it went. Please update us when you can!

Thanks! I created a new thread where the info on my first class outcome was discussed.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23977

Thanks for inquiring!

Archived