Advice for intermediate crochet classes.... (What to teach?)

Thanks to everyone who has helped me thus far in my journey of becoming a crochet instructor. I am so excited as I have some people signed up for my first class next Saturday at HL!!!!

I am going to offer Intermediate classes in April and need some advice on what I should teach.

What is the "in" thing right now that I could teach over the course of 2-3 weeks? I was thinking a poncho but I am guessing those are not as "in" as they were last year. Maybe a shrug, but I'm not sure again as with arm shaping and all that can get a little tricky.

Also, any advice on the cost of the class would be great as well. I would like to teach something with a "fun" yarn of some type. Doesn't even have to be Fun Fur or an eyelash but at that level I think people are going to want to learn to use some of the cool yarns that are out there.

I am planning on offering a set fee for all the classes. Whether or not you come to one or all of them you'll be charged the same amount. (Same mindset as Wilton classes at Michaels. The classes are for 4 weeks but you pay one flat fee.)

Thanks everyone, can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

P.S. Hopefully Intermediate is the right term. This class will be geared towards those people who know the basic stitches and can do simple scarves and such but haven't ventured into TR or clusters or puff stitches. Maybe I should change the term to "Advanced Beginner"?

Hi Donna!!

Good for you teaching and keeping our craft alive!! I would set a flat fee price for the class for sure. I just dont know how much they charge. You could call Michaels and ask them how much their classes are and also check with your LYS.

How about a purse?? They are soooo in and pretty easy but not very easy. You know something with increases and drecreases. Or what about something for easter? Like a basket or something like that. Well good luck and I am sure you will find something perfect!

A purse would be nice, even a felted one! Or the Fleuri bag from Crochet Me would be awesome. I also think a shurg would be great, you could use any pattern really and have them adjust it for their bodies..since they are imtermediate they should be able to follow a pattern. What about some funky pillows? a crochet hook holder and small tote bag? socks? It's getting close to summer, what about a beach cover up and beach bag? Instead of a poncho, what about a capelet. I made the one in Interweave's first magazine (Salon Capelet)..and trust me, it will take a few weeks to make that one! (below is a photo) It was simple stitches, just alot of work..but sooo worth it. Donna

photo is clickable!!!!

th_pictures003.jpg

Hmmm, maybe a purse would be a good idea. I'll have to think on that. I really do want to make something that uses some of the really nice yarns out there. When I went to Wal-Mart last night and grabbed some of the NoBo on clearance the cashier asked me if I knitted and when I told her I crocheted she couldn't believe you could crochet with it. I told her I was teaching classes at HL. She says "I know how to crochet, but I always thought if you used this kind of yarn with a crochet hook you'd end up with a knotted mess."

That really confirmed what I thought. Even people who crochet don't realize what kinds of things they can do. I think making something with some of the great yarns avail nowadays is a great idea and will open up the entire world to those who thought you could only use Red Heart Super Saver.

I think I'll hold the purse idea in my head for now and may end up doing it but could still use other suggestions. Thanks to everyone who has given me ideas so far... :manyheart

A popular class at my LYS is "Square of the Month". They work out of a pattern book like "63 Crocheted Squares" and concentrate on one square a month, which helps to teach some of the more complex stitch patterns. The one here is for knitted squares, but you could do the same with crochet. You can do them in cotton for dishcloths, or a nicer yarn to make a ghan out of.

A popular class at my LYS is "Square of the Month". They work out of a pattern book like "63 Crocheted Squares" and concentrate on one square a month, which helps to teach some of the more complex stitch patterns. The one here is for knitted squares, but you could do the same with crochet. You can do them in cotton for dishcloths, or a nicer yarn to make a ghan out of.
What a great idea!

I like the square a month idea. That way you would be teaching them to make afghans. Scarves might be a little too low level for what you are teaching. I've seen some very pretty knit scarves though. You could also try stuffed animals. I was at Michaels last week and saw someone using a knitting wheel thing (they're round and you knit with them, I don't remember the name). She had a very cute snowman on her table which she made from Fun Fur and something else (I think Wool Ease). I have the book "World of Knit Toys" by Kath Dalmeny (I'm sure there is some kind of crochet equivalent) and she has some very cute animal patterns which use some of the more expensive yarns.

Something else you could do is teach a teddy bear pattern, then teach how to make clothes/accessories from nice yarn. I made Winnie the Pooh from a pamphlet I bought at Michaels once, and I would have found it a lot easier if I'd had a teacher.

Archived