Walmart Mainstays Yarn Discontinued?

smokeyp81

Hey everybody, I was in one of my local Walmarts last night. They had a big sign up that said Mainstays has been discontinued, and that they would be replacing with more colors of Red Heart. Has anyone else seen that?

Hey Heather

I've been wondering the same thing . Our Walmart has a great yarn selection, but the Mainstays has almost totally disappeared. They have very little left . Some colors are totally gone . It is unlike them to let their stock run this low, so I'm assuming they will be getting rid of it .

Hmmm...must check on that when I next go to Walmart. I liked Mainstays since it was cheaper and had some nice colors. On the other hand, sometimes the yarn was rougher than the Red Heart yarn. I hope they really aren't discontinuing Mainstays.

hmmm..i wonder if my walmart is doing this. been so long since ive shopped for yarn (got too much projects floating around the house). i hope so though, i used mainstays once and didnt like it at all. its worth the extra 50 cents for me to have more colors of red heart...now if walmart would just stock other KINDS of yarn... :(

I just wanted to give you a heads up and I am hoping it is just at a Milwaukee are Wal-Mart. When in to check out & get more yarn (please don't tell DH) when I got to Wal-mart there was not one skein of Mainstay yarn left. Thinking ooo someone is making tons of squares for Dude and Jimmie Lu, I went to ask when they would be replenshing their stock. Both clerks looked at each other and said "mmmm what color are you looking for" (:think Make the right choice Kelly you may get some from the back....) Clerk graps the pricing gun and we head over to the rack.....That's when I find out the bad news...:eek All orders just recently place have been cancelled/deleted:eek :eek :eek . Clerk tries to make a comment that I can check other stores .....:think She is not what they'll have. I will check other stores I will let you know

Hi Kelly

I think there was another thread on this a few days ago . The Walmarts are discontinuing this yarn, from what my walmart told me -- they haven't marked down the remainder, but they should-- they only had a few skeins left .

Hope you didnt need a certain color to finish something up -- it might be hard to find now !

yup Same here in maryland . I went into walmart looking for a color to finish up a project and I asked the lady working in the department and she said they are doing away with all the main stay yarns. and none are marked down. But there was only some pink and a couple of burgandy and some varagated brown left. I don't understand unless no boundires are going to make some . Not a clue at this point. I know it was decent yarn and was a good price. :manyheart

All walmarts are doing this . I did notice around christmas that they hadn't stocked thier shelfs and I would ask and the clerks would not know why . But today I asked and was told they were not going to carry the main stay any longer.

I was at my Wal-mart on Saturday (going back today to check out something else in yarns, I am so bad, LOL) and there was a handwritten sign that said "Mainstays $1.77 is being discontinued. Please do not promise any to customers". I asked the girl working and she said it was true. There were very few skeins left. And it hadn't been marked down either. And a friend of mine was at another Wal-mart by her (we are on Long Island, NY) and those shelves were just about empty too. And she needs a couple of skeins (I'm hoping that is the color she needs that were left in the store by me).

LI Roe

hmmm..i wonder if my walmart is doing this. been so long since ive shopped for yarn (got too much projects floating around the house). i hope so though, i used mainstays once and didnt like it at all. its worth the extra 50 cents for me to have more colors of red heart...now if walmart would just stock other KINDS of yarn... :(

I don't really buy much yarn at Walmart at all. I don't really like acrylic. If I do buy it, it's Caron Simply Soft. But where I live, it doesn't make sense to get acrylic yarn at all. Not a yarn snob. Acrylic doesn't breathe. I'd like to see more cotton blends. I know that Red Heart and TLC have a Cotton blend but have never seen it in a store. It would be nice to see Lion Brand bring back Cotton Ease. I would definitely not buy Mainstays. I never liked the colors and it felt rough.

But it kind of makes sense for them to just use Red Heart or Caron and not have their own brands. Mainstays really just duplicates what Red Heart has.

There was no sign at Walmart when I went there yesterday. I did, however, notice that their yarn selection in general was rather limited. I've been to that Walmart before and it was kind of stocked with yarn. When I went there yesterday, I felt like I had more yarn at home than they did in the store.

• 2 weeks later...

aww man! I hate to hear that. I used it often. When I was at Walmart the other day, I didn't even go to the yarn department (imagine that!!!), so this is news to me. I like mainstays. Yes, some of it was a bit rougher than RH, but for hats and mittens for the kids, you can't beat it for the price.

But it kind of makes sense for them to just use Red Heart or Caron and not have their own brands. Mainstays really just duplicates what Red Heart has.

It does and doesn't. I looked at Mainstays as their generic brand. All stores, especially Wal-Mart has generic versions of most everything from shampoo to cereal. Just because they carry Cheerios doesn't mean they should get rid of Toasted Oats. Not everyone can afford a dollar or ever twentyfive cents more.

I like Mainstays now and then, it makes great purses and such for 2-year-olds. I refuse to buy $5 yarn, cotton or otherwise, for my daughter to drag around the house, spill milk on, and stuff to overflowing with other toys. :lol

Thankfully I can get Red Heart but I like having the different options. :)

After reading this earlier today I checked my WIP and I was using Mainstay yarn as one of my colors. So I got on the internet and got all the Walmarts telephone numbers and started calling them looking for this one color as I needed 3 more ounces. The sixth phone call and an hour drive each way I got the only one they had in the color I needed. Called my sister and she went along with me and we had dinner together. So I got to visit with my sister and get the yarn I needed. LOL, I still could of called 3 more Walmarts. Is this crazy or what?

Marlene

I Did Not Know Walmart Had Discontinued Mainstay Yarn My Local Walmart Looked Like They Still Had Some Left. I Have 2 Super Walmarts Near Me And One Has Some Very Large Skeins Of Caron Yarn In Some Very Pretty Bright Colors $3.77 Per Skein. Never Used Mainstay Have Not Crocheted Long Enough And No Big Project Yet Just A Few Granny Square's And Potholders. Theresa

• 14 years later...

Well I’m in a pickle then! I got some Mainstays navy in FL last year (2019) and started a sweater (small for a child). Probably don’t have enough to finish both sleeves! I’ve been looking and looking and only saw out of stock... not discontinued. Guess I’ll just keep going until I run out😢 when I bought the yarn I hadn’t decided on a project until this CoVid 19 thing broke out.

Well I’m in a pickle then! I got some Mainstays navy in FL last year (2019) and started a sweater (small for a child). Probably don’t have enough to finish both sleeves! I’ve been looking and looking and only saw out of stock... not discontinued. Guess I’ll just keep going until I run out😢 when I bought the yarn I hadn’t decided on a project until this CoVid 19 thing broke out.

Hi JoAnn, you were replying to a 14 year old post, so presumably it wasn't really discontinued back then, and google is telling me that they still carry the brand, but it's only showing what is in stores around me, and only 2 colors of 'roving' weight if I choose 'online only'.  And no navy, which doesn't mean the color is discontinued necessarily.

In any event, even if they had 'navy' in your nearby store, it is undoubtedly not the same dye lot from something you bought a year ago so would be, well not  useless but disappointing.

If you could find something in a comparable weight (I'm seeing various weights in my view, looks like mainstays 'basic' might be comparable to Red Heart Super saver?  It doesn't say what the yarn size/weight is. Also, no Navy, only 1 ball of purple variegated...)  But, for the sleeves, if you have some white or another color that would look nice paired with Navy on hand, or can find some other brand of a suitable contrasting color of the same yarn size, consider ending the sleeves in navy and white stripes; make it a feature not a bug.  

Oh, that's interesting!  Walmart is not my go-to yarn store as they don't have much of a selection (near me, anyway).  Example, just checked again, my local Walmart has just 6 choices of Mainstays, split between a few balls of  roving or chunky chenille.

Edited by Granny Square