Lily Chin's new TV Show debuts this Sunday

AmyOH

There's a new show appearing on the Oxygen network this weekend called Stitchcraft--it's done by Lily Chin and it's a look at crochet and knitting and their place in the fashion world. When I was at a conference in San Diego a few weeks ago, I got a chance to chat with Lily about her show and posted the interview on my blog:

http://hookandi.blogspot.com/2006/03/interview-with-lily-chin.html

Cheers,

Amy

Kind of disappointed in it.

Only one mention of crochet and then no detail on it. Tons of knitting and even some cool ideas to transfer to crochet if you want, like working around rickrack.

I loved the 'unraveled' men's sweater.

And the cutie centerfold knitter was on there. lol

Empress, I agree. I was very disappointed. Knit knit knit knit knit. How about those of us with hooks instead of needles?

I really did not like that blue jean skirt thing. UGH! Before they even mentioned it I could tell it was a pair of jeans that had been taken apart...

I liked a few of the ideas offered but thought all in all they could have at least mentioned something crocheted!

hmm I saw her on the Letterman show that time she did the sweater for him.. Sorry I was not impressed.. If crocheting really really fast always gives that quality of project then who needs it.... When I crochet I want my finished project to be useable and not a joke..

Comcast doesn't carry Oxygen Network. Boo hoo!

Hey, I think my Comcast here carries it; I've watched Oprah on it, but it's been a while; did they cancel it?? I haven't checked in a few months...hooked now on Bill OReilly and Greta! Ha!

Well sorry to be the odd duck here but I loved it. I think some of the tips (like showing the man you are going to make somehting for, a picture or several, make sure he will like it first) were good tips that could be used for both hookers and knitters.

You cannot judge a show like that by one episode, they did an espisode with the Knit1 folks, I didn't expect much, if any hooking on it this time. I am sure there will be some episodes that will have both and some that are just dedicated to a single craft.

I didn't love it but I did like it. I liked the way it was filmed, thought the tips were helpful and loved that Lily Chin was wearing the crocheted dress. While I wasn't a huge fan of some of the clothing I did get plenty of ideas from the projects they showed. I'm hoping that in future shows there is more mention of crocheting.

I think some of the tips (like showing the man you are going to make somehting for, a picture or several, make sure he will like it first) were good tips that could be used for both hookers and knitters.

I'd never make something for my husband (or anyone) without knowing they'd like it so that tip didn't matter to me. lol

I did mention I liked some tips especially the rick rack idea. ;)

You cannot judge a show like that by one episode,

I didn't judge the whole series. I was disappointed in one episode. I could be disappointed if it were crochet just like I am in Lost now and then or in some crochet magazines.

I did state there were some things on there I liked, which again makes me not judging.

We all have different tastes and that is a good thing. :lol

Hey, I think my Comcast here carries it; I've watched Oprah on it, but it's been a while; did they cancel it??

Different areas carry some things and not others. We don't get soapnet. :(

We didn't get some other things for a long time but now we do.

I'd never make something for my husband (or anyone) without knowing they'd like it so that tip didn't matter to me. lol

I did mention I liked some tips especially the rick rack idea. ;)

I didn't judge the whole series. I was disappointed in one episode. I could be disappointed if it were crochet just like I am in Lost now and then or in some crochet magazines.

I did state there were some things on there I liked, which again makes me not judging.

We all have different tastes and that is a good thing. :lol

Different areas carry some things and not others. We don't get soapnet. :(

We didn't get some other things for a long time but now we do.

Just to be clear, I wasn't accusing you of anything, I just made a general statement.

Sorry if you thought I was talking to you specifically.

I have to say I was a little bored--not because I didn't like the content, only because I've already read that issue of knit.1 cover to cover, and they didn't take the magazine content in a new direction at all. So I would imagine someone who didn't know about that magazine would really enjoy it. I liked Adina Klien--it's lucky that she's as good in front of a camera as she is behind the scenes. I liked watching her do the knit demos. I loved seeing James Coviello's studio and hearing about his design process. I would have liked to have seen more of that. I was under the impression it was going to be more high-fashion, less how-to than it actually was. Didn't they mention Michael Kors in the intro? Where was he?

I think Vogue is a driving force behind this show, so I don't know how different any subsequent episodes (if there ever are any--right now this was billed as a "special") would be.

i didnt watch it .. i cant stand Lily Chin.. i think she is snide and not really nice..

i read a preview of the show and an interview with her where she said this would be a show spotlighting and show casing .. there would be" very little to no "how to" because they were not a DIY show".. very very snidely like that would be a terrible thing.. i just couldnt bring myself to watch after that ..

and with what every one else is saying.. i didnt miss too much ..

I posted my thoughts on this on another thread that was started on this subject but here's my 2 cents...

I was very disapointed. I really didn't have a good/bad view of Lily Chin before, but I have to agree she came across (to me at least) as a little "snobbish". I chuckled when they mentioned that she was "one of the fastest crocheters in the world". :hook I guess she couldn't lose her title gracefully huh?

Oh well. I will probably watch a couple more eps to see if they get any better but as of the first show, I wasn't impressed...

She's actually very nice--but outgoing, funny, and outspoken. Unfortunately, her personality didn't get a chance to shine on the show, she merely introduced the segments and shared a few tips.

I'll try it again next week.

In general, I was luke-warm. There was nothing there that I'd make at my age, but I did get a few ideas.

I was interested in joining crochet to ready made garments, especially the button and rick-rack techniques. While I wouldn't wear those projects, I store those techniques away in the back of the brain for a while.

The one thing that I did like was the jacket that was lacy and flowed at the bottom. What was that? Anyone seen anything like that in crochet?

I wish I had the chance to see it so I could even express an opinion. Although I will say this: when I followed a link from someone's blog to her site where there was a press release about it, I too thought it was funny that she's still calling herself the world's fastest crocheter.

I liked the construction of that jacket too--it's the one she called a scarf-cho.... I looked in the latest Vogue Knitting, and it wasn't there, maybe it will be in a future issue. You could e-mail the Oxygen network and try and get the details on it. Vogue almost always prints a schematic with their patterns, so if you had the pattern, you could convert it to crochet pretty easily.

I'll try it again next week.

In general, I was luke-warm. There was nothing there that I'd make at my age, but I did get a few ideas.

I was interested in joining crochet to ready made garments, especially the button and rick-rack techniques. While I wouldn't wear those projects, I store those techniques away in the back of the brain for a while.

The one thing that I did like was the jacket that was lacy and flowed at the bottom. What was that? Anyone seen anything like that in crochet?

I liked the construction of that jacket too--it's the one she called a scarf-cho.... I looked in the latest Vogue Knitting, and it wasn't there, maybe it will be in a future issue. You could e-mail the Oxygen network and try and get the details on it. Vogue almost always prints a schematic with their patterns, so if you had the pattern, you could convert it to crochet pretty easily.

That scarf-cho is called the "Yoga Wrap". I found it here:

https://id306.securedata.net/sandrasingh.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=76_314&products_id=945&mmsid=d984f13ef79ecb76e89d6e08329e4f89

and after studying the design, I found a copycat on the berocco site, complete with schematic:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/wayland/wayland.html

Tho the berroco one looks like it would need to be made bigger.

Ginger

Archived