How do you keep yourself motivated?

I've been working on a scrap blanket(full size) for myself(the first piece I've made for myself EVER) and I'm about 8-12 inches away from finishing. Yet, I can't seem to get the motivation to pick it up and just FINISH it. When I do finally work on it, I usually only get an inch or so done. :(

I know how you feel, somehow I find the more urgent finishing a project is the less motivated I am to actually WORK on that item. Sometimes I reward myself, if I get a certain amount done I will 'allow' myself to work on something I WANT to do for a little while.

Yet, I can't seem to get the motivation to pick it up and just FINISH it.

I rotate, but "make myself" work on the PFH for 30 to 60 min and then reward myself with being able to work on anything I want. The PFH is the first thing I work on each day so I "get it out of the way" before moving on to other projects.

I only work projects that I really want to do. Knowing that I really love the finished item is a great motivator to seeing it done. I have very little time to do my crocheting so I make sure that the project is worth my time.

The times that I have needed motivating are the times I was doing a project that I didn't really want to do but for one reason or the other I was doing it. For example, I did several pairs of socks because my brothers, bf and son were bugging me so much for them. I loved the idea of doing them because they seemed so excited to get them, but the actual crocheting of them was drudgery.

However,,,,I have overanalyzed this because I think I subconsciously do NOT want the project (or the book that I am reading) to end. I am enjoying the process without actually realizing it. I guess...I know, kind of strange...but makes sense to me!

:think:lol;)

I often run out of steam on larger projects. I can stay with it for a few days, sometimes a whole week, but any longer than that and boredom sets in lol. I just finished (ok mostly finished) a sweater that I really love, but I got bored and set it down for two weeks. I picked it back up and finished the sleeves and wove the ends in just a couple of days. Now I just need to border it and add buttons. Then there's a blanket for hubby that I promised him. Fortunately I have a year to get it finished. I'll need all of that too rofl.

I tend to stick with smaller projects mostly, and when I do have something big going on, I break it up with small things in between just so I can have FO's and that sense of accomplishment =)

I kind of reward myself my making smaller things while working on a large project. While I was working on my ripple for the CAL, I made a few scarves and hats along the way. Sometimes just changing what I'm working on gets me motivated. Plus, reading the posts and seeing the pictures here helps. :hook

I do the rotate projects thing, I also come on here, and one thing that really spurred me on right before the Crochet Olympics was the Anti UFO thread...Unfinished Objects thread CAL...I got alot accomplished...

I do a to do list every day for making sure that things around the house get down and other projects get focused on and crochet is on the list every day...and if some project has been bothering me, but I'm just not motivated to get it done...then I put that project on the list and let it haunt me until I pick it up and force myself to work on it, even if it's just a few rows. I recently finally finished a filet crochet butterfly yoke this way...

I've noticed for myself that if something keeps popping up in my mind all day and the next, that's really thing I should be working on...and if I don't, it screws up everything else I maybe trying to focus on...so if I get it out of the way, it's amazing how much more energy I have and how much more things get accomplish...crocheting, house cleaning, studying or whatever...

I've been working on a scrap blanket(full size) for myself(the first piece I've made for myself EVER) and I'm about 8-12 inches away from finishing. Yet, I can't seem to get the motivation to pick it up and just FINISH it. When I do finally work on it, I usually only get an inch or so done. :(

If you're not feeling it, Plo0t, put the scrap blanket away for a minute. Do something else. Sooner or later, it will call your name and you'll pick it up and be done in no time.

And as for motivation, I second the "visiting C'ville" that folks have mentioned. Visiting the lys and drooling over yarn/patterns also helps with motivation. :lol

I work on a different project every day,so as not to get bored.If it's a big project or one I'm not thrilled with,I make sure and work on that one on Monday to get it out of the way for the week.if I'm on a tight schedule,I work on it every other day until it's done,making sure to do small,fun projects in between.

Coming here motivates me. I read the posts' date=' look at "show and tell" and if need be, vent about how bored I am!

I also always have 2-3 projects going and rotate among them.[/quote']

Coming here motivates me too. Whenever I need motivation for a certain project, I just look at a picture of the finished project and thing "I could have this soon."

I seem to have this problem too...I bought the yarn for a blanket for a friend almost 6 months ago, finally started it in October, but put it down almost 2 months ago because I hated working on it so much. Reading this, I think I'm going to frog it and start a new pattern that I might like working on more. That experience should have taught me I don't like working with cables (even though I love the look of them), but nooo! I started an aran sweater for my SO in January, and for every bit I do, I'm frogging half of it. I want it to be *so perfect* and maybe my standards are a little too high, but I can't seem to get back to it.

I started a blanket for my nephew last fall, and didn't get motivated finish it till I found out my SIL had passed her mucus plug (TMI?)...when they said she was going to give birth in a week or two, you can bet I was all over that! He really is the best motivator. :)

i run out of steam very easily. but with the sweater/cardigan that I just finished I knew that I had to get it done before the winter was over or I wouldn't be able to wear it until next winter. when I was maknig the scrap afgan for my uncle, I was lucky that I was following a pattern becasue I had to make tons of motifs...so I never had the problem of running out of steam...

right now I have about 3 projects going on.....and working on finding a pattern for another one....

• 3 weeks later...

i am having trouble with motivation right now. i took three olives advice and am working on a large, med and small project. well small is almost done, need to weave in those ends (yuk), the med is about half and the large is about a third. i come here for motivation, but that's not working. i wrote about it on my blog, that did not help. i think i need a vacation on a sandy beach (i never crochet on the beach), then i will miss it so much i will be excited to work on my projects. right now i just keep buying yarn :blush and pattern books and sooner or later that will get me in the mood (or kicked out of my house:eek

• 2 weeks later...

It is easy for me to finish things if they are small but then I procrastnate about sending them out in the mail. I et to lazy to address the evenlopes. Now why is that. That is where I need motivation. I get them sent but sometime i really have to pull my hair to do it. I don't want the squares or what ever for myself but I seem topick up the hook and just crochet till I drop most times. Like today.

Mary Ann:blush

For motivation I use a combination of i) visiting the 'ville :) ii) working on it while listening to my favorite music and iii) little rewards (like napping, that motivates me a lot :lol ).

Even with that sometimes projects get me demotivated..like this black sewing thread top I started -- so far the bulk of the crochet is nearly done at 11 in x 26 in rectangle, but I still can't work more than 1 more inch a day. Eventually it'll get there though! :P

Archived