Teaching 15 women to crochet. Help!!

Hi everyone:

As an instructor by trade and a lifetime crocheter, I thought it would be fun to teach a few people how to crochet at our church. Little did I know that there would be such an overwhelming response. I was expecting about 5 people and instead have 15 with numbers rising. Not one of the 15 has crocheted before. :eek

When I asked the participants if they would like to learn to make the usual stuff--scarves, dishcloths, etc. Most replied that they really didn't want to make anything for themselves, instead, they would like to make a comfortghan for members of the congregation who are ill or in need of "comfort". As such our "comfortghan ministry" has now been born. :hug

I thought the ladies could make granny squares. I'd pick the most simplest of granny square patterns to start and if each person could make 1 square, we'd be in business. Although I expected them to protest, they really embraced the idea. I'm a hip 41 year old and I guess the ladies thought that if square making was "okay" by me, they felt so too.

Can anyone offer me some instructional "tips and tricks"? Here's what I have planned so far:

1. I have put together a mini-booklet with all my crocheting "expertise - if you could call it that" that I plan to give the ladies. You name it, it's in there! I used to be a technical writer and have been complimented on my user guides. I hope that now comes in handy!
  2. I have bought the yarn and hooks we need.
  3. I thought they could start the first week with simple stuff, chains, sc, dc for the quicker pickeruppers, turning the work, etc.
  4. I'd give them a ball of yarn and a hook to take home so they could practice throughout the week.
  5. When they returned, depending upon their levels, we could start the granny squares.
  6. We're meeting this Sunday after church from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. and all the ladies know each other. I've booked many workshops in the past for various things and have never seen such a popular timeframe.
  7. When teaching in the past, I've always ensured that people have finished projects within an alotted timeframe as it helps with the satisfaction process. In this case, I don't think the ladies are as concerned as this is more of a fellowship opportunity for them.

I've got some fun stuff lined up - different types of yarn to display, afghans I've made demonstrating the types of granny square patterns that are available to them, and games (guess the age of my crocheted afghan, etc.).

My questions: :think

1. Should I give each one a piece of work already started so they can focus on the stitches rather than having them practice chains first, then the stitches?
  2. How long does it take adults to become proficient enough to crochet granny squares? Would 4 or 5, 2-hour sessions do it?
  3. How many experienced crocheters would I need to "back me up" as I can't help all 15 at once.

On a funny note, I charged each person $10 which would give them a ball of yarn and a hook. I picked this amount thinking 5 people would show up and $50 would do it. Now I've got almost $200, some ladies gave extra and I've bought all my stuff for less than $100. Talk about a surplus.

I'm not usually this long-winded but I'm really excited about this!!! :cheer

Cheryl, that is VERY exciting. It sounds as if you've done everything possible to prepare for this class. I'm very impressed with your crochet manual and your organized approach. I've never taught a crochet class but I've done volunteer work teaching foreigners to read and speak English and I've found that letting each person choose a partner helps a lot. They learn from each other. After a few sessions you can have them switch partners so that the more proficient ones can help others who are having trouble. Good luck with this. It sounds like lots of fun!:tup

Roli:

I love your idea of partnering. :clap

As the ladies know each other well, they'd love it. In some cases, I have mom/daughter combos and I'm sure they'd think it a hoot to work together. I just have to make sure the moms don't get too critical!

Cheers!:yay

Can anyone offer me some instructional "tips and tricks"? Here's what I have planned so far:

1. I have put together a mini-booklet with all my crocheting "expertise - if you could call it that" that I plan to give the ladies. You name it, it's in there! I used to be a technical writer and have been complimented on my user guides. I hope that now comes in handy!
  2. I have bought the yarn and hooks we need.
  3. I thought they could start the first week with simple stuff, chains, sc, dc for the quicker pickeruppers, turning the work, etc.
  4. I'd give them a ball of yarn and a hook to take home so they could practice throughout the week.
  5. When they returned, depending upon their levels, we could start the granny squares.
  6. We're meeting this Sunday after church from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. and all the ladies know each other. I've booked many workshops in the past for various things and have never seen such a popular timeframe.
  7. When teaching in the past, I've always ensured that people have finished projects within an alotted timeframe as it helps with the satisfaction process. In this case, I don't think the ladies are as concerned as this is more of a fellowship opportunity for them.

Wow!!! You have put a lot of thought into this... I wish I could take your class!!

My questions: :think

1. Should I give each one a piece of work already started so they can focus on the stitches rather than having them practice chains first, then the stitches?

I am fairly new to crochet (a little over a year) but I think praticing chains a little would be more helpful than starting with pre-made stitches since eventually they will have to chain to start a new project. I started with granny squares myself and only practiced chaining for a few minutes before moving on to making the square. Perhaps you could offer both ways to your students.

How long does it take adults to become proficient enough to crochet granny squares? Would 4 or 5, 2-hour sessions do it?

I think that would be plenty of time perhaps even less.How many experienced crocheters would I need to "back me up" as I can't help all 15 at once.

I think one or two others to help you would work, you'll be surprised how much they will help each other or listen as you help someone else (I teach 2nd grade).

Good luck! Keep us updated!!

Wow...that is fantastic! I saw this pattern recently for a 12" square made out of yo-yos which I think would be fun and it looks amazing...this might be the way to start everybody off and then as they get better they could choose different squares. Keep us posted on the progress.

Cheryl i commend you for your efforts you have prepared well. I have taught groups of people to crochet before and found it easier to work with small groupsof 5 or 6 to start with unless you have a helper for each group you will become overwhelmed as some pick it up quicker than others.Can you start with a group of say 5 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours give all of you a break for a cuppa and then start another group. You will then have an idea from the first group who is doing well enough to help you with the new group and any with difficulties. Also i always start them with beginning chain then sc as they will have a basis to work their own stitches from should they wish to go ahead with your instructions as homework if they want to. You may even wish to teach a couple of ladies separately so they can help you. I would suggest 1 helper with every 5 ladies at least. If you have surplus money and don't want it yourself let the ladies choose a special project to make and put it toward materials. Goodluck and have a lovely time.

Cheryl, how is this new comfortghan ministry going for you so far? It's only been a few days, I guess, so maybe it's too soon to tell, but I'd really like to know when you have something to share. (PM me if you'd rather.)

I commented to DH yesterday that I had two baby afghans to make for ladies in our department who are pregnant, and he cracked, "What, are you starting a baby afghan ministry?"

The more I sat there and thought about it, I began wondering, "Well, why not?" Baby afghans or comfortghans.

I know of only one other lady in church who crochets regularly, but I'm sure there are more. I'm really thinking of approaching her and suggesting we get something started.

So, I'd be interested in hearing how things are going for you and hope you will share anything you've learned along with the way. :)

First of all, a hearty thank you :lol to everyone who posted here with helpful advice - and it was helpful!!:cheer

The following e-mail is a bit lengthy as I received requests for a rundown of the class.....

I can't believe that everyone showed. I even had an extra come so I was more than overwhelmed by the popularity of this class. Our youngest participant was 15 and the oldest was 85 (no one would admit to being older :lol). I honestly thought there would be just the 3 of us who originally thought of doing this in the first place. You just never know who will come out of the woodwork when you mention a crochet class. Considering there's only about 80 people in the congregation, including men, this was phenomenal turnout! I would highly recommend this to anyone considering starting this type of group.

In addition to what I noted in my original post, here's what I added:

1. I divided the ladies into 4 groups. I had 4 tables set out with approx. 4 ladies at each table.
  2. There was at least one person at each table who had either knit before or who had crocheted once before.
  3. I showed the class how to single crochet and turn their work, then visited each table to provide assistance.
  4. The people who picked it up quickest, helped the others if I was busy at another table.
  5. I provided everyone with a mini swatch in their ziploc bag package instead of having everyone start "from scratch". I got the idea from this website. I crocheted up 15 samples - it only took me about 10 minutes per sample, and it was a big help because (a) the ladies knew what their end result should look like and could easily "frog back" if their work didn't look similar to what I'd crocheted for them (b) we didn't spend most of the time learning how to make chains

Ironically enough, I didn't need to teach them how to do chains first (as I had originally thought), because they learned this skill when they had to turn their work.

At the end of the class, skills ranged as follows:

1. About 6 ladies had the skills honed. Actually, as I type this, one woman has already made a 12" granny square.
  2. Several ladies wanted to continue working on their swatches to practice their single crochet and turning before moving on
  3. Several ladies also learned to double crochet and wanted to continue practicing that stitch
  4. Only one woman "temporarily, she says" put down her crochet hook. She has uncontrollable shaking and was having extreme difficulty manipulating the stitches.

We'll be having another class next Sunday and we'll focus on:

• Starting crochet from scratch (making chains)
  • The double-crochet stitch
  • Starting a granny square

If I had to do it over again, what worked best was: ;)

1. Giving the ladies swatches rather than starting with chains.
  2. Dividing the ladies into groups.
  3. Providing coffee/tea/cookies - it gave them a break from the crochet
  4. The 2 hour timeframe - it was the perfect amount of time
  5. The timing of the class - I believe if I hadn't offered the class immediately after church and had picked a different time frame instead, I know I wouldn't have received half as many interested people!!
  6. Bringing sample projects - the ladies loved looking at my crocheted blankets, and granny squares.
  7. Bringing a pattern for an easy granny square - I didn't realize that several people would be skilled enough to continue onward faster than I was willing to go - it was nice to give them the opportunity to move as quickly as they wanted to.
  8. Never underestimate the knitters - people who had knit before were quite comfortable holding the yarn and dealing with tension so they only had to focus on the stitches. This group really caught on quickly. I had to laugh, though, as some of the knitters ended up with about 15 loops on their crochet hook. They a little trouble getting the concept that you only work with one loop on the crochet hook! They thought you picked up loops along the row then pulled them through in one fell swoop at the end (that's the Afghan stitch, isn't it??). :lol

I hope this helps. I created a blog at http://www.wvchurch.blogspot.com where I'll be posting information for the class. Please visit if you'd like to keep updated on our progress. :hook

Cheryl your classes sound like so much fun. I taught myself to crochet but did take knitting lessons first. Doing that really helped in reading directions. Those ladies are so lucky to have you helping them and I wish all of you lots of luck.Maybe you could post a photo of the group so we could see their work if that is okay with them. Have fun!

Cheryl, you've done a fantastic job in organizing this class. :cheer May I suggest making Granny's Daughters (1st round of a granny square). They're cute and quick to do and the ladies can have their first comfortghan done by the end of your lessons which would give them a great sense of accomplishment in a relatively short period of time. :hook

Archived