karin4christ

can you dye acrylic yarn?

I just saw an episode of Sewing with Sue Hausmann today and they should how to dye with Rit dye. I've scanned through some of the postings here at Crochetville about dyeing. Is there any way to dye acrylic yarn? If I have to use a natural fiber, it can only be cotton (I have a bad allergy to wool). Does anyone know where I could buy cotton yarn cheaply? Thanks for any and all help.

Karin

Cotton yarn is not cheap, at least good garment quality cotton. You CAN dye acrylics with dyes like Rit, read the package well for suggested blends of fibers and the amounts and methods to use.

Silk and nylon dye very well. You can Kool Aid dye them. Also, look for blends. Acrylic that's blended with fibers that do dye well can produce some interesting effects.

if you use rit I highly recommend exceeding the vinegar to more then what it would call for.

so Woven N Spun u mean use more then what it say to use right? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am confused with the dyeing stuff.