about dishcloths...

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/cloth.html

You will find a lot of patterns to use here. I generally like to make my dishcloths with a tighter weaved pattern. My husband doesn't like the ones that have a lot of spaces between stitches. They seem to last longer as well. I use Sugar and Cream cotton most of the time but have done a few in thread as well.

Wendyb532

I can't remember what the stitch is called, but my favorite dishcloths lately have used the stitch pattern where you work sc, then dc, then sc, etc.. across the first row, beginning and ending with sc. Chain 2, and work dc, sc, dc, etc. across the next row, beginning and ending with dc. Chain 1, and do sc, dc, sc across that row, and just keep doing this til you have the size you want. I make them til they are 7 or 8 inches square, I guess -- I have small hands, and I don't want a cloth that is too big. I use the Sugar and Cream, and I use a larger hook, so the fabric is looser weave, in order not to feel too thick and stiff, but with this stitch pattern I avoid big holes.

Did that make sense? I know it isn't as pretty a cloth as most, and I love the others for use as hot mats, etc. But with this pattern for the body of the cloth, I can do a prettier, more ornate edging and still have a dishcloth that works well for me.

Good luck!

Lene'

Just a couple more ideas for uses:

I have some older crochet dishcloths that have gotten bleached out and I take them camping with me. They are great to use around the campsite for various things.

I also make homemade washcloths and put in boxes for Operation Christmas Child, a charity by Samaritan's Purse. I used heart patterns, circles, squares and used up scraps for all of these.

Here's a heart link: http://members.aol.com/JSchlossma/heartdc.html

And a star link: http://members.aol.com/JSchlossma/stardc.html

My children use them in the bath instead of the store-bought washcloths.

My friends like them better than knitted ones, because if you get a hole in a knitted dishcloth it unravels. A crochet one keeps on going...

Another note about sponges....they carry lots of germs....Many "experts" say not to use them.

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips. I have also wondered about crocheted dishcloths. Many of the patterns I have looked at have been for 11-12 inches and that seems so large. But I also have small hands so that's probably why they seem so big. It's hard to squeeze water out of such a wad of cotton.

I usually don't use standard dishcloth patterns because of how big they are. Every so often I see a great pattern for one, forget why I don't use them, and then realize partway through that it's going to come out huge. Usually I just pick a pattern stitch I like or just do plain dc and make one to a more comfortable size (6-8" square). My favorite washcloths are either plain dc or alternating dc and sc. Hdc, though it's my favorite stitch in general, tends to make a really heavy cloth IMO.

Guest Catlizg

Was in Joann's yesterday looking for Homespun for a poncho present and guess what - cotton yarn on sale in some really cute colors, as well as a book with 30 different stitch patterns (I'm a newbie). You can guess the rest - came home and being the practical and multitasking woman that I am, used the cotton on some of the patterns in the book to whip up 2 new dishcloths. Hubby can't believe all the things that I can make for us in crochet and was quite impressed that I would actually take the time to make dishcloths. Well, I promptly went to try one out - I'll never buy a dishcloth again. Thanks to all of you for the great tips and hints. One question, I made them about 10 inches square. How much does the cotton really shrink? Should I go to 12 inches? :c9

I wash them on hot and they seem to shrink about a half an inch during the first wash (for one that's maybe 7" so probably would shrink a bit more if I were making them bigger). I'd try washing the ones you've made and see what happens and how you like the size they end up at after shrinking a bit...

A few of you mentioned using dishcloths for bathing, so I thought I would share these patterns I found for crochet cotton bath items. So far I've made the wash cloths, and I'm about to try to make the bath puff. Five Piece Bath Set I also just recently made one of these as a gift for a friend. A Rose for Mother .

Also here is a pattern for a crochet pot scrubber made out of nylon netting! :eek That blew my mind when I heard of someone crocheting with that. Nylon Pot Scrubber

I haven't made one of these my self, but I purchased one about a year ago from a lady during a arts and crafts show. I'm still using the thing! when it gets nasty I just throw it in the washing machine and then let it air dry. It's about worn out, and it's time for a new one, but after a year, I think I've gotten my dollars worth out of it. LOL :lol

I've always LOVED using hand made things. I agree with everyone else. hand made gives you a better quality item, and you just cant beat the feeling you get when you use something you made your self. :hook

12" is awful big for a dishcloth.... They will shrink, but that's a lot of cotton to try to squeeze water out of and dry.

I only make mine about 7", but that's what I prefer. I have large hands and they work for me. I don't like the real big ones.

Here's some other fun patterns for dishcloths:

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/12dishcloths/bumpedshells.shtml

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/12dishcloths/thermalstitchdishcloth.shtml

This one I've turned into dishcloths:

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/12dishcloths/popscrubber.shtml

This is a cool way to use cotton too. I take one of these with me camping.

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/14misc/soapholder.shtml

I make them myself - and I love them. 100% cotton - scrub everything with them, including the oven once :) They hold up great! Just throw in the washer and dryer. Couldn't be easier.

I'm totally sold on this crocheted dishcloths idea after reading this thread.

Now that I think of it, my mom uses a crocheted pot scrubber made with scratchy acrylic yarn. I want to make cotton ones for general dish-washing.

I forgot to say...the funniest thing people tell me when I give them homemade washcloths or dishcloths..."It's too pretty to use."

I tell them but that's what they are for is to use them, not look at them.

LOL. I have the exact same problem. I tell them that's what I made them for, to be used. If they get worn out to let me know and I'll make them some more, but if I didn't SEE them actually using them at least once, not to expect me to make them any more.

Now when I go to peoples houses they make a point of showing me that they are using the things I gave them, and please make them something else. ROLF!! :lol I guess they like what I make them. It's a good feeling. :)

• 1 year later...

I bought my first skein of Sugar & Cream cotton yarn and made my first dishcloth out of it. The pattern came out to about 9" which is kind of big but that's okay. I can't wait to use it, I just have to weave in all the ends. I can't wait to make more...these are really addicting!!! :woo :woo

Being as new as I am, I just found this thread. I have to say, LOVE my cotton washcloths. Hubby hates any washcloth because he can 'smell' them, no matter how well they are hung to dry. So, we have sponges for him, and cloths for me!:lol

Also, on one of the balls of cotton(wanted to type 'balls of fire'??) the pattern was for a knitted bath mitt (I know, I'm trying to alternate to save my poor hands, heh) that I can say was my very first FINISHED knit project. It was Sugar'nCream(I think), in the green variegated. My best friend loves it; says it exfoliates better than some scrubbies, AND she can wash and dry it. It was also darn quick. Bonus point in my opinion.

Now, I have 2 things in my arsenal of quick gifts for Christmas.

Yay for Cotton! :manyheart

I adore (absolutely ADORE) crocheted and knitted dishcloths. They work so much better than little rags from the store. They are a bit thicker (although I use crocheted patterns that work up with about the texture of a knitted dishcloth since I like them thiner) but I find that they work well as a scrubbie too. I don't have to use a scrubber sponge as often with a crocheted dishcloth as I do with a thin little dishcloth purchased in a store. (and that means its better for my pans too. It doesn't scratch the "teflon" off)

I have used pretty patterns to make Bathroom sets for gifts...

A facecloth, a matching bag/ soap holder, and a bar of nice smelling soap.

Nice, simple gift for all those people you want to remember but can't spend a lot on.

I love using crochet dish clothes. They scrub the counter & dishes a lot better than a smooth store bought cloth.

It's also fun to try a stitch pattern or a square in cotton & use as a dish cloth. I use only cotton for these. I also use them for hot pads on the counter or table.

I'll never go back to store bought dishrags!

I forgot to say...the funniest thing people tell me when I give them homemade washcloths or dishcloths..."It's too pretty to use."

I tell them but that's what they are for is to use them, not look at them.

I get that too! :lol I just tell them that since it only took me about 15 - 20 minutes to make that when it gets too dirty I will make them more. :) I still don't think they use them though...

I adore (absolutely ADORE) crocheted and knitted dishcloths. They work so much better than little rags from the store. They are a bit thicker (although I use crocheted patterns that work up with about the texture of a knitted dishcloth since I like them thiner) but I find that they work well as a scrubbie too. I don't have to use a scrubber sponge as often with a crocheted dishcloth as I do with a thin little dishcloth purchased in a store. (and that means its better for my pans too. It doesn't scratch the "teflon" off)

Lavelle, could I ask what pattern you use that works up thinner? I bought a lot (I won't say how much:heehee ) of cotton yarn a year or so ago because I liked the variagated colors so much and it was on sale (well, a little) meaning to make dishcloths for everyone on my Christmas list. But after I made a couple, I decided I didn't like the thickness of them.

Anyway,I dug out my yarn the other day & decided to give it a try again after finding a pattern for a thinner dishcloth. I'll try to explain the pattern, it's pretty simple, you just single crochet in the back loop then in the front loop. I believe I may have found it on the Ville.. Is this the pattern you use or do you have a better one? So far, I've made one dishcloth this way and am working on the second one. I do like this pattern but would like to find more for the "thinner" dishcloths. I do love making the dishcloths because they work up so quickly and are so pretty. Thanks for your help.:hook

Archived