about dishcloths...

this is really retarded.... what on earth is a crocheted dishcloth for???? do you guys really scrub your dishes with them??? does it really work better than a sponge??? or is a dishcloth a dishtowel??? you know, to dry your dishes with... what do you do with your dishcloths???

I had some crocheted and knitted dishclothes that I just loved. Yes, I used them to scrub my dishes. They finally had to be thrown out, but I plan on making more some day. I think they are great.

Ok, I actually get a set of knitted dishcloths from my mom every year. A lady at her church makes them and she always sends us kids a set. The great thing about them is that you can wash them several times before you have to throw them out.

As far as crocheted items for the kitchen goes I love them and do use them. After they get smelly I just wash them in the washing machine and they are ready to be used again.

Some people use these for "show" but others really use them... It's all a matter of taste...

Use them all the time. They're nicer than sponges, they work better IMO, and you can wash them over and over. Try some. You won't want to use sponges anymore.

Really? I would have never thought they'd work better than an actual (store-bought) dishcloth or sponge. I will definitely try some, then! And sponges, being about 2 for $2 and change at my store, I could probably crochet 20 disclothes with a SuperSaver for that price. :)

A crocheted dishcloth is just what it says, a dishcloth that is crocheted. I make all mine, much better than the cheap store bought ones and they last a lot longer! Never, ever, use a sponge. They breed germs unless you change them everyday and wash your used ones in the dishwasher. I change my dishcloths everyday and wash them in my washer with hot water. I have all colors and styles even special ones for the holidays. My husband prefers them as well. Good hubby, does dishes, won't trade him in!

Wendyb532

Love the crocheted ones. My grandmother makes a ton and every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas all the women in our family get one or two from her. She just does a basic square design with different edgings but they work great and hold up like you wouldnt believe. Ive had some for years and they are just now getting to where they are falling apart.

I use mine for different things. I have some that are really pretty, with lots of "holes" because of the lacey design of the cloth. Those drive me batty to wash with, as I don't like poking my fingers through the holes as I try to scrub. So, I use them as hot mats or whatever you call 'em, to set hot pots or casserole dishes out on. I have others that I've made that have a tighter weave -- not so tight as to be stiff and thick and "clunky" feeling, but tight enough that there aren't big holes for my fingers to poke through. Those, I use to actually wash dishes, wipe counters, etc. Since they're made with cotton yarn, they can be washed about a gajillion times before they wear out so badly that they need to be scrapped. (I'm talkin' years of use here.) I just use them for a tub of dishes, and when I'm done I soap them up and kinda scrub them in the sink and rinse them out, hang them to dry over the edge of the dishtub. They stay clean enough to re-use for a several days, and then I just toss them in the washing machine with my towels and so on.

My hubby doesn't get why I like these so much -- he likes the way they work just fine, but he'd be just as happy using a sponge or a store-bought washcloth or a ratty old rag. :lol He thinks the pretty crocheted ones are a waste of yarn and of crochet time to make something just for scrubbing dishes. But I just love them! I like the way they feel in my hand, I like the way they do the job, and I like using something pretty. Granted, they do become faded, or stained, or just plain "used" looking. But even then, they are prettier to me than a plain old sponge or washcloth, and it just tickles me to use something handmade. I like the feeling that I'm using something like what my grandma, and my great-grandma, used to wash their dishes. I feel connected to them in that way, and it pleases me.

I've also made some cotton crocheted dish towels, for drying, and I'm liking those, too.

Lene'

None of you mentioned the rough texture that cotton crocheted dishcloths have. They are supurb for scrubbing dried food off dishes or counters. Air dry and then throw in the wash after a few days.

sponges, being about 2 for $2 and change at my store, I could probably crochet 20 disclothes with a SuperSaver for that price. :)
-partial quote

Just another quick question....

would you use acrylic for dishcloth/scrubbers or just the cotton? I'm new at this too and I'm loving all this advise. Thank you all

I would only use 100% cotton. Acrylic won't absorb water, and I would be scared to bleach it, which I sometimes need to do with my stinky dishcloths!

-partial quote

Just another quick question....

would you use acrylic for dishcloth/scrubbers or just the cotton? I'm new at this too and I'm loving all this advise. Thank you all

that's funny, i was just wondering how on earth i would be able to afford all that cotton. i'll look for some cotton cones next time i visit walmart. i just finished my first dishcloth and tried it out and just fell inlove. i'm working on my second one. lol.

Cotton is best, I think. Acrylic might feel icky? But those big cones of cotton are pretty cheap if you decide to make lots of them...

I knit and crochet dishcloths. My kids can't get enough of them. I use only cotton. They are a great way to try out a new pattern or just wing it and make up your own! I love doing them in the car or Drs. office etc. They make up quick, don't take up much room in a purse or bag and are wonderful to wash with. The favorite ones are bigger (cotton shrinks) and a tighter pattern (like sc, hdc, sc, hdc, repeat). I also add different edges to spiffy them up. I think once you try a cotton homemade dishcloth you won't go back to store bought! And, they make nice quick gifts.

When my husband asked what I was making and I told him dishcloths he said "They look to pretty to use as dishclothes. You spent alot of time making them." Now I am reluctant to use them. Maybe I will start out with just one strictly for washing glassware.

Desireé

Guest Catlizg

Wow - good thoughts here. I'm a relatively new crocheter, but am catching on quickly. Couldn't figure out why I would possibly want to use a crocheted dishcloth, but with all the good points raised here :cheer I can't wait to make some for myself. And, I loved the idea of using them as facecloths too. Can crochet a couple of these as a break from a bigger project, use up some of my leftover cotton yarn and have a pretty dishcloth. I'm so glad I joined Crochetville, I've learned SOOOO much in a short time.

:ty

Really? I would have never thought they'd work better than an actual (store-bought) dishcloth or sponge. I will definitely try some, then! And sponges, being about 2 for $2 and change at my store, I could probably crochet 20 disclothes with a SuperSaver for that price. :)

I do believe that cotton is the usual yarn of choice for dishcloths, I've never seen them made from acrylic. :think

ETA: and if I'd waited to read through the whole thread first, I'd have gotten my answer! :blush

I read this post the other day. That evening my dh was monkeying around with the computer so I just sat with him and whipped up 2 dishcloths. My dil saw them and whined "I want some!" So I had to whip up some more. I love them and with all the colors out there they brighten up your kitchen.

Archived