*Hexagon* request for a dear family friend who had a stroke...

CityGirl

Hi everyone...I know this request is going to be kind of specific, so maybe I won't get a whole lot of help, but I truly believe that every little bit counts!

My dear family friend Nelsie--who was originally friends with my grandparents and who lived with my family and took care of my brother and I through our childhoods--recently had a stroke. She is 90+ years old; her right side was paralyzed so she is basically immobile but fortunately, her memory is mostly intact and her mind is still sharp as a tack. She remembered things I did almost 15 years ago.

She is now living in a hospice facility and is mainly being visited by her grand-niece, whom she raised. Nelsie's biological children have all passed on, but I'd like to think that she considers my parents, brother and I to be children by adoption. :manyheart

I would very much like to make an afghan to bring to her at the hospice. I've picked the "Kaleidoscope" afghan from Blue Ribbon Afghans (p. 96; it's the one on the cover of the book). It is originally a Leisure Arts pattern, though I don't know what booklet it can be found in.

What I'm actually asking for/Specifications:

-I need hexagon motifs with the first 5 rows of the pattern completed, fastened off and ends woven in.

-Each row should be a different color (but using different shades of the same color, like light and dark blue, next to each other is fine!). I will complete the 6th row of all of them in whatever color I decide to join in (which will probably be ecru).

-Materials: Worsted weight, washable yarns in acrylic or washable wool blends. Metallics are fine as long as they're washable. The pattern calls for an H hook, which has worked up well for me.

-Hexagons with rows 1-5 completed should measure approximately 7" from point to point and 6" from side to side. 1/4" off either way is okay.

-I'd like to keep it mega-multicolored so hopefully it will be bright and cheerful!

-Here are the first 4 hexagons I've made so you have an idea:

1 and 2

3 and 4

If you have access to this pattern and want to help, I would really appreciate it!! I know it's not much time, but I would like to have the afghan assembled by the week of Easter, which is the next time I will be visiting her. Please PM me if you can help or have any questions, and thanks so much!! Hopefully this will make Nelsie very happy! :c9

If you are looking for the pattern Frann wants us to use, try searching the catalog of your local library. I just looked it up and found 3 copies in my library district. The full title is "Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs: 40 Prize-Winning Crocheted Designs" and it's by Valerie Shrader.

Archived