Unusual crochet stories anyone?

eyenowhour

I am constantly losing size F hooks. When I was young, I used to have two size F hooks, one was pink and one was blue. One day I lost my one of them. At a later point in time, I lost my other one. Ever since then, I have never been able to keep size F hooks. I constantly lose them. Does anyone else have any unusual crochet stories like this?

I don't really lose them, they fall down between the couch cushions or the chair..and it's easier to reach in my bag and get another hook then get up and move the furniture...lol. I will have my son crawl on the flloor and get them for me when I clean....I have way to many hooks.:think

I lose hooks inside skeins of yarn with startling frequency. :lol I found a steel hook in the depths of a 1lb skein not too long ago. No clue what a bitty hook was doing inside WW yarn; probably my 2-year-old is to blame. I also lose G-hooks often, which isn't surprising considering how often I use them.

I don't lose hooks, I have a couple of hooks still with some projects, but I've just become anal about keeping track of them...

The only thing I can think of that just strikes me as unusual is that I'm on a totally new level of crocheting than I have been ever before....and that everyone around me is cheering me on. They are blown away by what I'm doing and quite frankly, I'm blown away as well.

I read the threads on here about rude comments, and while I've experienced that in the past, it hasn't happened this go round (which has been since Sept. 2004...) I think the most unique thing that happened regarding crocheting was that my mother made mini collages of pictures of crocheted fashions for me for my birthday...I was speechless on a couple of levels...one that she would make me ANYTHING; and two that this was her way of supporting my endeavors...I'll take it.

My husband has nicked a few in the past for various mr fixit job endeavours, ie for grabbing string through wall holes to hold up a trellise, to opening tins of paint :eek and trying to fish the cork out of a poorly opened boottle of wine.

I travel a bit and now while you cant take knitting needles on planes you can still get a crochet hook on board. I am frequently asked to show the stewards how to crochet as well as by other passengers as people seem fascinated in it.

Most remember granny doing it, and I fear it will be a lost art.

You know until this past couple of years I thought the same thing, that crocheting was going to be a lost art...along with sewing and knitting...but one thing I've noticed over the years is that things go in cycles...and that especially now, there is a real need for people to find some kind of outlet that let's them work with their hands. All these "arts" originally were used as necessities for the order of one's life...as things got cheaper to make through machines (with exception of crocheting since it's the one that can't really be made by machine) the focus shifted and all these things are now considered hobbies for the most part.

I find it refreshing reading the threads on this site of people making things for necessity sake along with the fact that they like doing it.

I never thought of using a crochet hook to open a can of paint.

Regarding traveling with knitting needles and crochet hooks...if the needles are plastic, they are allowed...I don't take my steel hooks on board with me, so if I want to crochet on the plane, I make sure I'm using plastic...

I was on a train to Munich this last weekend and in the seat next to me was a girl about 10 knitting, continental style...and I was crocheting...and no one said boo...but then this is Germany, these things are more the norm than not...

What is continental style knitting?

I have had plastic knitting needles conviscated by the airline nazies. Quantas clearly states you cant take knitting needles of any sort on planes.It is the length that is the issue. Fortunately they are too ignorant to understand crochet! A crochet hook fits into a pencil case with pens etc and passes the electronic tests.

Oh okay...I guess it depends on the airlines...'cause I've been on United and was sitting across the aisle from a lady knitting away...

Continental knitting style is how the Europeans basically knit...it's the way their grab the yarn...which concidentally is similarly to how we crochet...instead of the Brit or American way of "throwing the yarn..." I've tried in vain to do continental style when knitting, but it's slower for me and thus I get more frustrated...but man when one can master that technique, it is faster...give or take...

Oh...cupcake, I just noticed, you're from the Gold Coast...I have a really good online journal buddy that lives on the Gold Coast...been friends online with her for over 4 years...beautiful area you live in...

lolol. i have been crocheting and knitting for a while now. and i think that i know what i'm doing now, lol. well the other day i went to walmart to get myself some new hooks and well it turns out that the cashregister man crocheted too. the crazy thing is that once he was done scanning all my stuff he got really worried about handing the bag with the hooks over to me me because of my kids. he was sure my kids would poke their eyes out. i was like "please , hand me my bag? i would like to go home now..." he lectured me on keeping hooks with small kids. i was just standing there with my mouth open not knowing what to say... lol.

lolol. the crazy thing is that once he was done scanning all my stuff he got really worried about handing the bag with the hooks over to me me because of my kids. he was sure my kids would poke their eyes out. i was like "please , hand me my bag? i would like to go home now..." lol.

This is a shaggy dog story about knitting needles, not crochet hooks but close. When I was a child I always remember this girl who fell over on her knitting while crossing the road in the small country town where I lived at the time.

When she fell the knitting needle punctured through her chest and she got a pneum othorax. That is it pierced through to her lungs and they collapsed. The girls dad ws the local doctor and they were very well known and well regarded in the local area. She was quite unwell for some time. From this incident my mother instilled in me to never to walk or run with knitting, crochet or scissors for this reason.

About 35 years later and having moved several times I ended up in a senior position within a hospital. A story was done on me in the hospital newsletter in which I put where I had grown up, education, experience etc. It was one of those silly focus stories they do so staff realise you are a human being. (lol)

Any how, I am in the canteen and one of the physios who was working for me says to me: "I never realised you grew up in Beenleigh, so did I "

In my surprise I said "really where did you live?" and she says the name of the street and "my dad was the local doctor and we lived above the surgery."

To which I said "are you that girl who fell over on the knitting needle and punctured her lung?" (At this point her colleagues were in hysterics cos this was such an unlikely story and an unlikely reunion!)

Yes it was her. She went on to tell me that from there she had heaps of chest infections and physiotherapy as a child. It was from this that she chose it for a career.

The other interesting thing was that they were quite well to do and we were very poor. She remembered the abbatoirs were my dad worked. Our circumstances were completely different as children, and as adults although I was a few years younger, I was now several levels higher and was her bosses boss.

Moral of the story: Be careful with knitting needles and sharp objects as this might influence the rest of your life. It is also a small world.:manyheart

Sorry for such a long tale, but I thought someone might enjoy it.

Your story wasn't too long, Cupcake. I enjoyed reading it!

Seems like several people have lost hooks but I found one. I was leaving a class and notice a steel hook in the grass near the parking lot. Naturally, I picked it up. I was so surprised because I didn't think anyone crocheted except me (that was before I found Crochetville). It was discolored in one area but, of course, I kept it. I just couldn't get over that some other teacher was carrying her crochet to class.

My other unusual crochet story is that I inventory my hooks and have the numbers written down.

dang, you scared me now... lol. ihave 4 little ones under 6 yrs at home my little boy likes to run and throw himself on me while i'm knitting and crocheting... my poor neighbours must for sure hear me screaming on a daily basis... one of these days i'm gonna have a heart attac, lol. maybe i should only bring out my stuff at night after everyone is in bed...

This is a shaggy dog story about knitting needles, not crochet hooks but close. When I was a child I always remember this girl who fell over on her knitting while crossing the road in the small country town where I lived at the time.

When she fell the knitting needle punctured through her chest and she got a pneum othorax. That is it pierced through to her lungs and they collapsed. The girls dad ws the local doctor and they were very well known and well regarded in the local area. She was quite unwell for some time. From this incident my mother instilled in me to never to walk or run with knitting, crochet or scissors for this reason.

About 35 years later and having moved several times I ended up in a senior position within a hospital. A story was done on me in the hospital newsletter in which I put where I had grown up, education, experience etc. It was one of those silly focus stories they do so staff realise you are a human being. (lol)

Any how, I am in the canteen and one of the physios who was working for me says to me: "I never realised you grew up in Beenleigh, so did I "

In my surprise I said "really where did you live?" and she says the name of the street and "my dad was the local doctor and we lived above the surgery."

To which I said "are you that girl who fell over on the knitting needle and punctured her lung?" (At this point her colleagues were in hysterics cos this was such an unlikely story and an unlikely reunion!)

Yes it was her. She went on to tell me that from there she had heaps of chest infections and physiotherapy as a child. It was from this that she chose it for a career.

The other interesting thing was that they were quite well to do and we were very poor. She remembered the abbatoirs were my dad worked. Our circumstances were completely different as children, and as adults although I was a few years younger, I was now several levels higher and was her bosses boss.

Moral of the story: Be careful with knitting needles and sharp objects as this might influence the rest of your life. It is also a small world.:manyheart

Sorry for such a long tale, but I thought someone might enjoy it.

Kind of OT my cousin was running with a flute and fell and poked it down his throat and had to have surgery to remove it. I always tell my DD not to run with stuff cause they are the same age and she knows what happened to him. I just say remember Austin. She immediately puts it down. Hard to believe a flute could do that though.

Lisa

that is terrible. Do you mean like a recorder that the kids play at school?

Did he survive?.....and if so does he still play the flute?

• 1 month later...

There was a boy back in Wisconsin who raised Angora Rabbits and each year would take them to the county fair (I don't know if he did this at the State fair) but he would hold a rabbit on his lap and crochet straight from the strands he would comb out of the rabbit's ruff. I thought it was fascinating!

I keep telling DH I want an angora rabbit to crochet from. He won't let me have sheep (says they smell) or a llama (too expensive); so sooner or later I'll wear him down about a rabbit, just watch me.

i give crochet classes every once in a while and sometimes i make it in my own home. one day i decided to make it in the farm. we all sat indoors, on the ground and made a big circle. all my students were kids at that time and u know... kids are always kids u can expect them to clean put prefectly after they are done. so one of my students left a hook on the ground and went outside to play. no one noticed the 4.5mm hook lieing on the ground until my dear cousin (20yrs) stepped on it! the hook pierced her foot and went into her flesh!! she screamed out of pain and when the first aid was done, i went to find out whose hook was that. the girl who owned that hook cried so much that night feeling bad about forgeting it on the floor, and believe me she never crocheted again!! she still comes to my classes but watches everyone, im trying to let her hold the hook again and work but she doesnt want to any more :(

youch. Sounds a bit like standing on a fish hook.

Reminds me of another story I had forgotten about. When we were little kids, ( this was ala 60s last century lol), my mother used to have a knitting machine somehow purched amonst the junk on the kitchen table.

I remember my younger brother some how climbing up and pulling this down on top of him. The sharp hook like needles cut his head badly and he had several stiches in his head. After that the family would tease him about the plain and purl stitches in his scalp.

Gee werent they different times? I would be horrified if a youngster endured such an accident now! :eek

I gotta laugh, cause I have quite a stash of hooks, all sizes, and at least two or three of the same size. For some strange reason, it's always my size F hook that is missing when I need it. I plan on going out and buying me a couple of extra size F hooks, so I don't waste my precious crochet time, looking for the one I misplaced (usually with another project). I'm usually good at keeping my hooks together, but this F hook seems to have a mind of its own.:heehee Forgot to mention that I often find my crochet hooks under the seats in my car. How they get there...is beyond me, lol! Have a great Day!:U

Daisy.

ROFL... I just tried to find my F hook last night...vanished...POOF! No F hook anywhere! That cracks me up..."F" must stand for "F"IND ME!

Traci

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe they're all going to another dimension... the "F" dimension perhaps? :D

Archived