one sleeved shawl.......?!?!?

Oh, oh! I have seen that type of shawl! The one I saw was a rectangular shape. One of the "short" ends of the rectangle was the location of the sleeve. The wearer put her arm into the sleeve, and then the shawl draped over her back and around to the front. She wore the loose end of the shawl flipped over her shoulder (like flipping the end of a scarf over your shoulder).

Ok, I"m going shopping for yarn tonight....Dh is going to kill me! lol. I've got a blanket that I'm making for him, a baby blanket to be done by easter weekend, and 100 other WIP's!!!! But this sounds too interesting not to do.

I looked up the yarn that it suggests, but it's discontinued. So, hmm, I don't know if I should go with black, or a color. it's suggested black with silver thread in it, or whatever........... 4ply worsted weight.

la la la......blue might be nice, but then the baby blanket is blue. black would go with a lot more things............

Ok, I've gone out and got the yarn, I chose a nice dark purple. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I've done the ribbing part of the shawl, which I guess is the sleeve part. I've gotten to do 5 rows of the shawl, and so far things are great. there are minor typos in the pattern, but i've figured that out (eg: it says to chain 22 in the beginning of a row, but that actually is supposed to be ch 2) but, so far it looks kinda strange. The ribbing part is good, nice and even, but when you get to the shawl part, it so far is a big ruffle at the end of this nice straight piece. I don't know if I should continue, and hope that it will work itself out, when worn, or just stop and frog it.

I was thinking, that if I use a larger hook for the ribbing, that way there would be a bit more room for the shawl and hopefully won't ruffle as much, and use a smaller hook for the shawl........does this make sense? right now i'm not that comfortable continuing with the way it is, it looks more like an artpiece, than a sleeve, shawl thingy! lol.

Anyways, any advice would be most appreciated!!!!!

thanks

Keep on going, but I would have used a smaller hook for the cuff so it is tighter and the shawl should be looser...You can't tell yet, you might be creating something incredibly wonderful.....

woo hooo! I got an answer from the people at the website. I got a worsted weight yarn, and it's supposed to be in a sport weight, she said that's why there is the ruffle, so if i go up a size or two in hooks, then that should be fine! I'm so excited!!!!! lol, i'm so weird...

butterfly_girl

I just wanna cry!!! I took some crocheting to work, for lunchtime.......and I left all my hooks there! I brought the pattern home for the shawl, but no hooks! The only thing I've got here is a q hook, and a double ended hook, which wouldn't be the right size anyway.........maybe I should go to wal-mart......or michaels......

I ended up trying out broomstick lace. it was interesting. the only hook i had was that double hook thing or whatever, so it was awkward, maneuvering everything. I made two rows of broomstick lace, then i decided that's it. too awkward. but it was neat, seeing how it's done.

i just realized that if i do make the shawl with a larger hook, the sleeve part will be too wide. as it is now, it's the right size, so I am going to make a poncho or something with the purple, and get a sport weight yarn for the shawl. woo hoo! more yarn shopping...........

• 8 months later...

I did eventually finish this project, i'm not sure when it was, probably not too long after i last posted. It's a nice project. I've took it to work, and got an order, and another co-worker is interested in one for her mom. It's nice, pineapple stitch. drapey, it's nice.

I decided to bring it to work today, becuase it's cold here! i'm feeing a bit blech......cold coming on.

I used a nice lilac color. the yarn is a bit rough, but not too much. I decided to leave off the tassels at the end.

I just wanna cry!!! I took some crocheting to work, for lunchtime.......and I left all my hooks there! I brought the pattern home for the shawl, but no hooks! The only thing I've got here is a q hook, and a double ended hook, which wouldn't be the right size anyway.........maybe I should go to wal-mart......or michaels......

Bummer!!! That would never happen to me, I have prolly 40 hooks, all different sizes. :hook

BTW - has anybody else seen the one sleeved sweaters? I think there is one on the doublestitch website. They just dont "rock my boat". Please post a pic of your finished shawl...I'd like to see that.

Archived