I got an inquiry about my Crochet Classes!!! WOO HOO!

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure out how much to charge and what kind of class to offer at the Hobby Lobby.

After putting all the suggestions together this is what I came up with!

For March, I will offer 2 classes that are basically the same.

A beginner class that will teach the basic CH, SC and HDC stitches and I will be teaching how to make the felted cell phone cozies I have been making like crazy lately.

The price is $15 per class with an extra $10 if you want me to supply the materials.

If, after the first class you still need help, you may attend the 2nd class at no additional charge. (I want to get people to come and to get to know me. I'm thinking if I offer the 2nd class at no charge for those who came to the first one that they will get to know me better and be more apt to sign up for following classes.) I also thought if I offered the same class on 2 different dates that would help with people who want to take the class but may already have plans for one of the dates.

I bought a piece of foam board and used thumb tacks to pin everything in place (which wasn't a good idea) as nothing really wanted to stick very well. I had a heck of a time getting everything set up on my easel but put it out Monday evening after work. (I'm going back tonite to make sure it's still in one piece and will GLUE everything down!)

This morning I got my first inquiry!!!!! I am so excited! It was an older lady who crocheted years ago but needs a refresher and something she can do while traveling with her husband. She sounded very excited about the upcoming class and when I explained that depending on the response I get, may be offering more advanced classes the following month. She was super excited about that.

I really think that next week I'll be able to tell if this will take off as Saturdays are their busiest days and hopefully many people will see it and give me a call.

THANKS to everyone for all your help! I'll let you know how it all turns out!!!

Hi,

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

1. In the future you might think about doing a half price for people that have already attended the first class. That way you are not working for nothing.

2. offer some mentoring for new people

3. attach things to the board with hot glue. it is quick and works well.

4. don't get discouraged if you don't have a lot of folks sigh up. it takes time to get classes going. you just have to be persistent. people don't always have the time available.

5. keep it up and have fun

6. start and advanced class right away so people know it is there

Hi,

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

1. In the future you might think about doing a half price for people that have already attended the first class. That way you are not working for nothing.

2. offer some mentoring for new people

3. attach things to the board with hot glue. it is quick and works well.

4. don't get discouraged if you don't have a lot of folks sigh up. it takes time to get classes going. you just have to be persistent. people don't always have the time available.

5. keep it up and have fun

6. start and advanced class right away so people know it is there

Thanks for your suggestions!!! I really appreciate the input!

I think you're right about offering Advanced Classes. This is the snowbird capitol of the world and there are a lot of Seniors to who take classes at craft stores to have something to do and get out of the house. I'm sure many of them used to crochet, haven't done it in a long time and would like to get back into the swing of things so that's a great idea!

I'm going in there again tonite and will ask the manager if I can go ahead and schedule those classes now and then I'll work on making a sheet for that as well!

Now, what do ya'll think I should offer for the advanced class? What kind of project? I don't want to make it toooooo difficult, but challenging is good! Since we do have a lot of snowbirds maybe a sweater or something... Although, the snowbirds will be flying back up north in a month or so!

That's really cool Donna!! I would suggest even intentionally keeping the class size smaller at first... It allows you to build your skills as a teacher and spend lots of time with your pupils, who will appreciate it.

For the advanced class - how about socks or crocheted lace? Snowflakes? Those might be hard for folks with vision problems, though. I like the idea of a cargian or sweater, too - maybe incorporate some cables or fisherman-style details as well as shaping.

Archived