Woven N Spun

A Roving Tutorial

Thought I would show you the picture report that Josh did with me today.

Go to my website and click on the tutorial button. Follow the link for the rainbow roving.

A very well done tutorial. I have never seen it done that way before. We never use a diz here and use our carder more to blend the fibre and spin straight from the batts. I find it very interesting to see how others do things differently as it is very helpful to learn from.

I generally do that for me especially when I am spinning alpaca for the mill I contract for. However, this was to be more of a custom rainbow roving. It worked out very well. I have made several now and am quite pleased with the results. Makes it very easy to spin especially for the new spinner.

Do you ever do fleeces that haven't been to the mill? When you are contracted to spin Alpaca from the mill what would you charge for it or do they sell it? I spin Alpaca here sometimes for people and i get the fleece or just the saddle and have to do the lot myself i charge $15 per 100 grams here.

I am working on my Master Spinner's certificate and have to do a lot of fleece (both alpaca and sheep) that hasn't been to the mill. So yes I do fleece that hasn't been processed. As for the mill, since it is just getting started, I actually do it all here. I wash, process, and spin the fiber. My "pay" varies with the mill owner. I can work for acutal cash or work on the half...meaning if I process a pound of fiber for him I get to keep half of that...so it just depends on the mood I am in and what my stash is looking like :)

thanks. I am really proud of Josh. He is my oldest child that was highly medicated when he first came to live with us 3 years ago. His behavior was off the wall. He has come so far and now is doing great. He loves helping me with things like this.

Kim,

That is a great tutorial, your son did a great job!

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

New rovings up today!