Wool vs. alpaca?

werecat

Ok, I was telling my sister about the cartigan I am making for myself. first one is going to be out of simply soft acrylic (I think that is the content) and that after that I want to make one in real wool. I have never done anything in real wool before but know it has great insulating properties and is one of only a hand full that keeps its insulating properties even when it's wet. I come to find out that my sister is so allergic to wool that I wont even be able to hug her while I am wearing it. :eek She works at a vet's office that has a alpaca breader as a client and has worked with handling the beasties and no allergic reaction at all! What are some of the pro's and cons and differences between wool and alpaca yarns? Any one have any preferrences? Shrinkage? insulating propertries? so on?

It is possible that your sister is having the allergic reaction to the chemicals used to process the wool, which is why she isn't having an issue with touching the live animals. Try hunting out organic fibers - they will have been treated with much gentler cleaners and dyes or not at all - and may be less likely to cause a reaction. They're pricier, but worth it if this item will receive lots of use.

I have heard that alpaca is warmer than wool and is also a great insulater. However, I have heard that it doesn't work so well in water resistance, as wool does so wouldn't make great mittens. This is just what I have heard. I have never tested this.

Alpaca is warmer than wool because the hair is hollow and traps the warmth.Also the cuticles of the hair lie closer to the body of the hair so it feels softer.When its spun its spun with more twist and less tension .Wool is spun with less twist because its cuticles stick out more and catch each other more easily.So a lot of people who spin find wool easier especially if they are learning. It is less likely for your sister to be allergic to Alpaca especially if it handspun as the chemicals used in processing the wool are very harsh as wool has lots of grease and Alpaca has a kind of wax and not grease like wool so is easier to clean. Anyway i hope this helps. Otherwise just buy a small ball and get her to to keep it close to her skin and see if it affects her. Goodluck.

I do know that Alpaca is warmer than standard wool. It was nice to finally find out why it's warmer. I have not yet been able to make a project out of it, but I want to.

I do agree with jacqui who suggested that you test ahead of time to see if your sister is allergic. Allergies can be really tricky. I too, have to watch the wool I use since I have reactions to some chemicals. Thankfully, ususally if I wash my hands right after using the stuff, I don't get to bad of a reaction. But, I have worked with some wools that I didn't react to. So, the testing of the wool with your sister is probley the best way to go. It's great that you are being very senstive to your sister's allergies..

:fluffy:heart:llama I work with a lot of wool... but don't really enjoy most of it near my skin. Merino which is gently handled and naturally dyed can be wonderful and so soft... but for next to the skin softness... my fave is alpaca. My sister is very sensitive to wool... not really allergic but it itches her terribly. Alpaca doesn't seem to bother her at all.

My dematologist told me that many people who are "allergic to wool" are actually allergic to lanolin -- which is the oily stuff in the wool that gives it water repelling properties.

If this is indeed the case for your sister you would be in the clear to use Alpaca -- it does not have any Lanolin in it.

My dematologist told me that many people who are "allergic to wool" are actually allergic to lanolin -- which is the oily stuff in the wool that gives it water repelling properties.

If this is indeed the case for your sister you would be in the clear to use Alpaca -- it does not have any Lanolin in it.

Oh yeah, It's the lanolin alright. She is the reason I started making soaps and lip balms and stuff. She is alergic not only to lanolin, but sweet almond oil as well so we have to be really careful what she uses. Her and my nieces and nephews too.

Ok, looks like alpaca wins, now I also notice its considerabley more expensive than wool. Anyone know a good source for inexpensive alpaca or do those words just never go together?

Ok, looks like alpaca wins, now I also notice its considerabley more expensive than wool. Anyone know a good source for inexpensive alpaca or do those words just never go together?

Knit Picks have an alpaca + silk blend that is heavenly and quite reasonably priced. It's called Elegance and it has a fantastic shimmer from the silk, works up well crocheted or knit, and it's all-around just a great yarn (IMO).

They have some other alpaca blends but most of them have merino blended in, which your sister may or may not have a problem with.

Also, there is Blue Sky Alpaca, but their yarns are pricey.

Good luck!

Knit Picks have an alpaca + silk blend that is heavenly and quite reasonably priced. It's called Elegance and it has a fantastic shimmer from the silk, works up well crocheted or knit, and it's all-around just a great yarn (IMO).

They have some other alpaca blends but most of them have merino blended in, which your sister may or may not have a problem with.

Also, there is Blue Sky Alpaca, but their yarns are pricey.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, I love the colours. Only problem is it will cost over $90 in yarn to make the cartigan. :( Oh well, guess I start saving now.

Archived