tweety256

How Do You Know

Question

How do you know how much yarn or thread to buy when designing your own pattern? I have been thinking about trying this but can't figure this little part out.:)

5 answers to this question

Find a pattern that is similar in design (uses dc or the special stitches you want and is approx the same size), then buy a bit more than you think you need. :-) That's not very scientific. :-)

Another thing you could do is make one "pattern" in a leftover yarn you have and see how much it uses. Then multiply it by however many "patterns" you will have in your complete project.

When you make the item, keep track of what you use or when you write the pattern you won't be able to tell others how much to buy.

Keep in mind it's better to buy too much than too little. You either build your stash this way, or if you don't want to keep the extra you can return it (with reciept) :eek I can't imagine returning yearn, but I heard a rumor that some people do *g*

The thread before asked a similar question about yardage for a blanket.

Check out PurlSoho. I found it while looking for yardages for a sweater that I wanted to design for my niece.

Thank you ladies I will keep this all in mind if I try to design a project myself one of these days:D

Thanks for that link! I've bookmarked it =) One thing to remember when using it though, is that it is based on knitting and crochet uses more yarn than knit. I can't remember exactly, but I think I recall someone said 30% more.