Your first Project?

My first project was a small throw. My mother started the basic granny square, taught me a few basic stitches (dc and sc) and let me run with it. I was only 5 1/2 so it was a little rough, but to this day, my mother still has it and uses it (I think the dog has claimed it actually :lol . So much for sentimentality!)

After that project, I made doll clothes and such, but I lost interest until about a year ago. My first project then? A throw--one giant granny square which I really love. Simple and useful!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first project I completed were two cotton coasters, from the learn to crochet book I purchased from Leasure Arts. I think it was Learn to Crochet in 10, 20, 30 minutes. Got the same book for knitting too.

I used the same book. The coasters were also my first project to complete. I made four of them. I wasn't too happy with the workmanship. I then made the dishclothes in both patterns. I made several of those and was satisfied with the finished product. My next project I would like to try is the Granny Square Afghan from the same book. It will be for my daughter and I have already bought the yarn for it. We won't be using the exact colors.

Desireé

I had watched my best girlfriend's mom for years crochet afghans night after night after night. I told her when I graduate with my BS degree I want you to teach me. I graduated in December of 1991. I went to her house with a hook and one of those JUMBO skeins of yarn you can get at Walmart and said--TEACH ME! She said...ok let's practice a few stitches and I said "no, I want to make something." So she showed me how long to chain to make an afghan. It was a shell stitich. I think I must have ripped that first row out a dozen times. But when I came back to her house about a week later, I was done. It is the ugliest thing, but I don't think there is a mistake in it. I've been addicted ever since. I love it!

My grandmother taught me a few basic stitches when I was about 12-13. She gave me some yellow yarn, and I started making a bedspread using only dcs. Not sure of the exact dimensions but it was very wide maybe around 10 ft, but as far as the length... I only got about 12 inches or so. I have no idea what happened to that piece.

My actual first project turned out to be some bookmarks I made by accident when the yarn started curling up. I made about 6 of them (not sure where they are either).

My first "real" project was a bed doll dress which I worked on over 5 years! That is at my Mom's house.

Well does a extremely long chain count as a project? If so I was about 7-8 and was given a skein of yarn and an I sized hook and made a chain, continual, out of the whole lot. But then I made a rather triangular shaped double crochet striped baby blanket, for lack of a better word....however when I was 10 I made my first real project a massive granny square baby blanket...I made several and then attempted dc/striped jobby again this time did a grand job. It really blew when I had to start doing extra chores to get mulah to buy my own yarn cuz I was going through it so fast....HAHA, that'll teach my grandmother to show me how to crochet....:P Now 25 years later....I still find myself doing many "first" in crochet....still loads to learn.

My first project was a baby bonnet, it took me ages to work out how to do it but I managed in the end.I taught myself to crochet from a library book as my mum could only knit and I was a disaster at that. I taught my mum and my sister to crochet in the end.

Cherish :yay

The first time I ever crocheted was when Grandma set hers down and I picked it up. She gave me a ball of yarn and hook and told me to do my own work. I first made a long chain, then only one slipper before she started me on a vest, it was pink and blue verigated. I still have it after almost 40 years. It is the only thing I still have from my childhood that I made.

My first project was a granny square afghan. My Mother had a formal flower garden design that she made at the same time. That was in 1977. After three months of making granny squares, I begged her for something else to do! She handed me her favorite baby sweater pattern, and I made it in a weekend. (My fastest time was 13 hours with breaks in the day. I can still make it without having the pattern in front of me.)

That afghan will never be finished. Within two or three months, my tension changed too much so the blocks are not the same size. Now, I suggest that people make hats because it's a project that can be finished in a reasonable amount of time and the ugly thing can be donated to charity.

My first completed project probably was a scarf for a stuffed animal...hard for me to remember...followed closely by lined drawstring bag/purses...

My grandmother taught me in highschool how to make dishcloths, but I totally forgot and never finished one.

About 8 years later, I was pregnant with Phoebe and went out and bought this booklet of fancy schmancy afghans with the intention of having my grandma show me how to make them. She looked at the book and said, well lets start with the basics. She showed me how to make a chain and then sc and DC. Afterwards I immediately forgot how to sc but remembered dc and I made a whole blanket for my baby out of dc. Then I made a couple more blankets with just dc.

My first "completed" project was a pink baby afghan.

My mother taught me when I was about 6 or 7, and I learned with thread since, in those days (I'm 54 :eek ), everyone crocheted with thread. (I didn't see crochet with yarn until college.) I don't remember my very first project, but one of the first things I did was crochet edging around my mom's linen napkins.

I learned to crochet when I was 4...needless to say the little rectangles never made it very far. I was, and still am, distracted very easily lol.

Then last January, my grandfather was in the hospital and I wanted something other than studying to do while I was there. So I made a ripple afgan, and scarves. The nurses were amazed at what I was accomplishing there between classes (my university is next to the hospital). Grampy's favorite nurses got the scarves because they took such great care of him. They just loved them!

Now I am crocheting just about anything I can get my hands on, around classes and homework of course :P

Gram taught me when I was a kid but I don't remember finishing anything. I re-taught myself in 2001 and offered to make DH an afghan for my first project. He wanted a Rasta flag afghan. It is WW RH in dc and it took forever. But it was worth it, he loves it. It is nice and warm and huge - about 7'x4.5'.

th_DSCN5585.jpg

A very ugly, double crochet afghan, made with red varigated yarn...that my mother STILL uses all the time. I have since asked her not to tell anyone I made it!!!!

After a few hit-and-miss tries of learning to crochet, I finally buckled down and made myself learn it from a book (I had tried the book before, had a friend show me, had my sister show me...). Since I'm famous for starting projects and not finishing them, I really feel as though I have turned over a new leaf! I have finished a bunch of projects already!

My first, though, would have to be the hat for my better half. He picked out that really bright, vibrant, multi-colored yarn and said I had to make something for him...but my rule was that I got to choose what I made. So, I made him a hat (my first experience ever with rounds and it didn't come out too shabby) that he won't even show to other people, let alone wear. Silly man anyhow!

He likes his blanket much better...and is snuggling in it whenever he gets a chance, even though I really need to weave in the ends (I'll get to that part eventually...for not I left it in the apartment so he can't use it!).

Mali

My first crochet project was a very big granny square. It was all different shades of browns, my Mom's favorites, and Red Heart yarn I could get at the 5 and 10 cent store. They had just started making varigated yarn, and basicly I just went round and round then joined the next color where ever the other one ended. I didn't have it big enough for Christmas, so I wrapped it up with the hook and skein in the box! It didn't lay flat in the center, just learning, remember when your tension wasn't consistant. I ended up ripping it out and doing over. I hate knowing there is a mistake somewhere even if it isn't noticable. I think they call that a compulsion, I say picky!

My first project was a pillow cover. I made two granny square the size I needed and sewed them together. It was the 1970's, so the colors were that 70's shade of almond green and white - leftovers from my Mother's stash! My second pillow cover was gold and brown!

Candy

• 8 months later...

My first project didn't turn out like what it was suppose to be. I was in junior high school and Grandma thought it would be nice if I learned to crochet like her mother (my Great Grandmother could crochet anything) since Grandma never learned (she did sewing and a lot of quilts). Since my first project wasn't correct, I kind of gave it up until I got put on bedrest with my second pregancy (9 years ago). I wanted to do something while I sat and I had bought yarn to make Christmas sockings like Great Grandma use to make for all the grandkids (so I think I ended up making about 8 - all from my memory of what my Christmas stocking looked like *my Mom still has my stocking that Great Grandma made when I was born and she hangs them up every year at Christmas). So I decided that I would pick up the tradition and I made Christmas stockings for all the nieces and nephews with their names on the stockings and in some cases the year they were born. :hook

I am so bad at crocheting that I haven't even done a project.:eek Well, I just started to crochet and so I don't know much about following patterns. :( So, I was wondering if anybody has the easiest but really nice one? Many tanks! :)

Archived