Your first Project?

My first project was a Christmas stocking. It was made out of red and white granny squares (which I didn't even know how to do properly back then) and crocheted in some horribly cheap yarn with the consistency of sand paper. Those were the days, too, when everything I crocheted was so stiff, it could double as a bullet-proof vest. I still have the thing and still hang it up on my fireplace mantle every year <LOL>.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um...I am very embarrassed to say my first project is STILL on my hook LOL....I apparently started a little too gung ho....a shell afghan in varying stripes of cream, blue and sand color...it's on my blog, one of my first posts...haha....I've finished lots of stuff since I started that...I just haven't finished *that* lol.

Bad me. Gotta get back on my New Year's resolutions haha.

Robin

>> crocheted in some horribly cheap yarn with the consistency of sand paper. Those were the days, too, when everything I crocheted was so stiff, it could double as a bullet-proof vest. <<

I remember using that cheap stiff scratchy yarn -- it was real rough on the hands, although it softened up a little when washed. :-D

Oh wow, I don't really remember my first project. I was so long ago... Probably 15+ years ago. I think it was a small "basket" with a "handle". I basically worked in rounds and it started going up into a ball type thing. I stopped about half way and then made a bunch of chains. It was one of the ugliest things ever. The first project I "vividly" remember was a Christmas stocking. It's supposed to be about 2 inches by 4 inches. Mine came out big enough to wear on a foot. I didn't understand the concept of tension back then. I also used a K hook instead of probably a G hook. My cousin and I just looked at one that my grandmother had made and made one ourselves.

my first project I think I was 13 . I made a stuffed bear . It seemed so easy then.lol....... My mom could not read directions she would pick something up and look at it and make it . But I learned in school belive it or not to read directions.

I taught myself to crochet when I was 11 using a Coats and Clark's Learn to Crochet booklet, which I still own. So my first project was the single crochet potholder, followed by the double crochet drawstring bag from the book. I even bought an afghan hook with the idea of making the afghan on the back cover, but I never started it, other than making sample stitches with some scrap yarn. I did crochet a broomstick lace afghan for my home ec project in 8th grade, though.

Ginny

hmm, I don't remember what the first thing I made was. I was around 13 yrs old i guess. I'm now 33. hmm, I remember my dad's friend taught me, and was frustrated with me becuase I do things and learn things kind of awkwardly. I've started many blankets, then never really got finished, and got rid of, either donated somewhere or something whenever I moved. It was probably a drawstring bag. i remember making those. And making little purses.

It was a small potpourri holder. Out of pale yellow yarn. I remember that fondly and clearly, even though it was about mmmm, 20 or so years ago. Funny how that is, eh? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Catlizg

My first creation was a really sad scarf. Fortunately, it was made with Fun Fur which covered up a multitude of sins. It was crocheted with love anyway so that made up for the lack of expertise.

I just started crocheting in October. My first skein was a vareigated red heart classic in autumn colors. I tried in vain to make a sample square but it always became a triangle.

Then I went to the lovely yarn shop next to where I get my coffee and bought a decadent skein of hot pink single ply merino wool. The owner hooked me up with an Interweave Crochet magazine and recommended the ruffly scarf on the cover and I've been addicted for the past six months.

My first project was baby blankets that were basically big granny squares- I was taught now to do the blankets by my mum- I wasn't taught what the stitches were or anything like that. About 4 years later I found instructions online and decided to teach myself how to crochet- the first project I made then was a scarf for my DD with crocheted flowers sewn on the bottom.

Mine was the boa made with Lion Brand Thick & Quick Chenille. :)

In November 2000, a few short months after I started working at Jo-Ann's, I volunteered to do daily demonstrations to promote products and whatnot... one day I showed up and was informed that I would be demonstrating Crochet that day. :eek I'd never even -seen- a crochet hook before that day. I was shown a few basics, and sent on my way.

The first one came out terrible, as I was not too great at following patterns at that point (considering it was my first pattern ever, and I was thrust into it without warning, I think I did ok), but the second one came out mostly right. I then bought a book and used some aran fleck Red Heart we had from creating a scarecrow costume, and taught myself.

When I was about 15/16 I made a giant afghan in Christmas colours for my mom. I only knew how to do a basic granny square, so I just kept going and going and so its a giant square. I got many strange looks lugging this thing around with me, working on it whenever I got a chance, on the bus, at friends houses, sometimes school (especially as I was a teased hair, leather jacket, heavy make-up kindof teenager). It took me over a year to complete.

Then I didn't crochet again until I took a refresher class with my mom a few weeks ago (almost 15 years later). I have since done several dishcloths (I love them!!) and am currently doing Deneen's baby blanket for my 10mth old son.

When I learned how to crochet, my mother wouldn't teach me anything beyond the chain "until I got the hang of it" so I made endless amounts of "necklaces" for my dolls.

My first real project was a ball for a lady having a baby. It was different colors and probably didn't look so well since my mother didn't have much of a yarn selection. Some primary colors, some pastels.

I learned to crochet with thread and the first thing I made was a doily. My Grandmother taught me and she did not know how to read patterns so she taught me how to look at something and copy it then later down the road I did learn to read patterns and now I have taught a few classess as I love to crochet. It is really relaxing to me. Have a wonderful day!!

The first project I completed were two cotton coasters, from the learn to crochet book I purchased from Leasure Arts. I think it was Learn to Crochet in 10, 20, 30 minutes. Got the same book for knitting too.

I then moved straight to the mile a minute afghan, I have yet to complete a sweater seems like a daunting task for me, but I will do one eventually. I'm planning on doing a shawl first then a baby cartigan (sp?) , and then try a sweater.

I'm thinking that's a good work in to one.

I really don't remember my first project! :o

My (then) 7yo ds's first project was a stuffed duck from Bernat's site. He did one side and I did the other and seamed it. He mainly likes to do flowers now.

My (then) 9yo dd's first project was a stuffed teddy bear. Individual pieces for the arms, legs, ears and body! And she used a bulky yarn instead of the sport yarn the pattern called for when she did it. But she did a great job reading the pattern and it turned out great. She has almost as many WIP's as I do right now and we've just formed a two man UFO team last weekend. ;)

My (then) 10yo ds started to make a stuffed snake, but chose red and black yarns, and got frustrated right away that his little brother understood it and he didn't. His "snake" turned into a cat toy. :D He's very encouraging to the rest of us, but not at all interested in picking it up right now. Funnily enough, he's the most vocal in encouraging me to become a crochet teacher!

My dh's first project is a bikini. :haha:2eek:2blush:embar He says he's just trying to help me out since I have pink yarn in the closet and HATE pink, so I probably won't use it myself, right? :rofl

Archived