Your first Project?

I was looking for my first crochet project from the 5th grade a while back. When I found it I realized it was knitted. :lol

It was a little ball, btw.

It's odd though, I don't remember what my first crochet project was. But I took it home from school to finish it in my free time, because I liked crocheting so much that I couldn't leave it behind, and I don't think I ever returned the hook. My 3 or 2.5 mm is still the one I accidentally stole from school back then. But I just can't remember what I was making! It was blue, because I also still have some of the rest of the yarn, here 20-25 years later. :lol

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I learned to crochet at the age of 16 (200 years ago:D ) from a family friend. She was making these little squares and taught me how to make one. I practiced on them so I think the first items I made were granny square items but for the life of me cannot remember exactly what the first thing I made was! I made a lavender crochet dress for my daughter when she was 5 years old. It looked adorable on her and she HATED it! Cried when I made her wear it. Its only picture now lives in the scrapbook I made her and she STILL hates that dress!:lol

Lynn

I learned to crochet when I was a kid but I don't remember finishing anything. My first completed projects were in high school. I used to make yamulkas(Jewish headcoverings) for boys that I liked. I used #10 thread. They have a solid color center than multicolor patterns around the outside.

Tamar

The first time I learned (when I was 20) I made a scarf for a friend [i was also sewing a cloth doll version of her newborn daughter and wanted something different to go with it]. It turned out very spirally and crocked, but she loved it anyway.

I picked crocheting up again a few years ago to make a denim and cream granny afghan for a friend expecting her first son. I turned out great and so I stayed with it. A few baby things later I made my first garment, a black cardigan trimmed in green and yellow variegated wool. My mom loves it and is always trying to 'pimp' me out to people who make compliments on it.

I taught myself on the internet, I stated with dishcloths in cotton, when I could finally make a square look square instead of some other wierd geometrical shape, I graduated to afghans and shawls, I got stuck there til this year I finally made something that wasn't flat a sweater. I also got stuck on aran, white or off white yarn and used nothing else for about a year, then I made a scrap afghan and got "hooked" no pun intended on color.

Learning to crochet (and cross-stitch and sew and cook) was part of the curriculum in home economics in 7th grade in 1980. I did a granny square in a yucky flesh-colored yarn and made it big enough to get the A grade. Unfortunately, it wasn't big enough to be put to any real use, so my mother added to it until she ran out of the yucky yarn, and it turned out to be throw-size. My grandmother still has it, and I just called my mother to tell her to make sure that Granny didn't get rid of it or anything. I'd like to have it back one day. :manyheart

The first thing I ever made was a lopsided bell-like thing. My teacher showed me how to do sc, hdc, dc, tr, and when I'd tried all of them, the bell thingy was the result. It's not pretty. :blush I made Mom hang it on the Christmas tree that year, but it has since mysteriously disappeared. :devil

I learned to crochet in a park district day camp when I was 11 or 12 in 1965 or '66. The first item I completed was a hat with bangles: about four inches wide in the center, it came down to my ears and then to points on which the ties were crocheted. So that means I must have learned to increase and decrease on this project!

My next project was a granny square afghan about 10 years later in 1976: rounds 1, 4 and 5 were white; rounds 2 & 3 were navy or red -- it was a bicentennial afghan! :)

The first thing I ever finished when I taught myself to crochet, was a bed doll that was a bride. It was for my nephew and his soon to be wife. ;)

John thought I could do anything with a needle, so I tried it. They got the doll, 2 flute glasses with their names and wedding date on it and a bottle of bubbly to toast with at their 10th anniversary.:hook

my very first thing .. my grandfather taught me to make.. we made burlap net bags to gather the potatoes and onions from the garden ..

my first decorative thing.. was an irsih crochet rose.. in number 30 thread..my great grandmother taught me

the second was a doily in number 10 thread...

my first yarn project was a dishcloth..

and my first yarn project at home with my mom .. christmas bells.. all sizes... my mom had a little factory with me and my sisters.. and for a long time i didnt want to even look at green acrylic yarn or anything bll or christmas related..

My very 1st project was a ripple afghan. I bought one skein every time I had some money. Needless to say, it took me quite a while to complete it. I still have it. My children have stuck silly putty to it:( , but I still love it. I will eventually figure out how to get the silly putty off of it.:D

My first project was a baby blanket - I learned crochet to get a Girl Scout badge at age 9. But I only did a few inches and then found other things to do. I found it 8 years later (my nephew didn't need the baby blanket then!), but finished it up for another nephew.

It was just simple - alternating rows of single and double crochet. :) When I went to pick it back up, I couldn't find more yarn and so it ended up with a block of white/yellow yarn, a block of multicolored yarn, and then finishing up the white/yellow.

I had made many little things like scarves and bags but my first big project was 5 years after I started. It was a baby blanket for my soon to be born nephew. I was navy and grey red heart worsted weight used double crochet:hook and an color pattern I came up with and hve been using since. It was big for a baby blanket but I fininshed it in six days:clap . He was boern a couple weeks later.

He is now almost five and his sister is almost 2.

My first project was a couple of flowers...really big ones. My neighbor's mom taught me.

My first teen project were glass cozies, I think my mom still has them.

My first married project was a baby cardigan in thread and an original baby dress in thread to match the cardigan.

Wow, brings back memories!!

Was taught basic stitches when I was about 8 - no real project that I can remember. More just fiddling with the yarn.

First real project: #10 thread a table cloth. Saw one on our honeymoon (1988) from a store at the Seattle Market and they wanted around $400 for it. I Said no way and when I got home found a magazine and made my own.

I just learned to crochet a little over a year ago. I'd been thinking of teaching myself for a long time but my inspiration and first project was a poncho for my youngest. It's cute and I still love it. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so she can wear it again.

http://zingsthings.blogspot.com/2004/11/my-very-first-completed-project.html

I think my first finished project when I was a little girl was either a pot holder (envelope style) or a bookworm bookmark. I know I bought one of the bookmarks at a art fair, and copied it :) I made a bunch of those little things with the google eyes. I learned how to chain and single crochet in 4H when I was about 10, and I think either my mom or grandmother showed me how to do double shortly after that.

Hmmm...it's only been a few months. I think it was a granny square and then I managed to make a hat from that and then not long after that I managed to crochet one of those drawstring crocheted bags from a Leisure Arts leaflet -- you know, the one with all the different bags and purses. I wanted to learn to crochet in order to make hats and do other projects in the round.

Archived